- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 719858, 11 pages
Alantolactone Induces Apoptosis in HepG2 Cells through GSH Depletion, Inhibition of STAT3 Activation, and Mitochondrial Dysfunction
1Central Research Laboratory, Jilin University Bethune Second Hospital, Changchun 130041, China
2Department of Zoology, University of the Punjab, Quaid-e-Azam Campus, Lahore 54590, Pakistan
3Key Laboratory of Inorganic Synthesis and Preparative Chemistry, Jilin University, Qianjin Street, Changchun 130012, China
Received 2 August 2012; Revised 24 October 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editor: D. M. Clarke
Copyright © 2013 Muhammad Khan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Thoppil and A. Bishayee, “Terpenoids as potential chemopreventive and therapeutic agents in liver cancer,” World Journal of Hepatology, vol. 3, pp. 228–249, 2011.
- X. W. Tan, H. Xia, J. H. Xu, and J. G. Cao, “Induction of apoptosis in human liver carcinoma HepG2 cell line by 5-allyl-7-gen-difluoromethylenechrysin,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 2234–2239, 2009.
- L. Andreana, G. Isgro, L. Marelli et al., “Treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) by intra-arterial infusion of radio-emitter compounds: trans-arterial radio-embolisation of HCC,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 38, pp. 641–649, 2012.
- A. Alisi and C. Balsano, “Enhancing the efficacy of hepatocellular carcinoma chemotherapeutics with natural anticancer agents,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 550–553, 2007.
- T. Beppu, K. Sugimoto, K. Shiraki et al., “Clinical significance of tumor markers in detection of recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 425–433, 2010.
- P. J. Johnson, “Non-surgical treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma,” HPB, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2005.
- B. Liu, G. Wang, J. Yang, X. Pan, Z. Yang, and L. Zang, “Berberine inhibits human hepatoma cell invasion without cytotoxicity in healthy Hepatocytes,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 6, Article ID e21416, 2011.
- T. W. Chung, Y. C. Lee, and C. H. Kim, “Hepatitis B viral HBx induces matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene expression through activation of ERK and PI-3K/AKT pathways: involvement of invasive potential,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1123–1125, 2004.
- W. Y. Wu, J. Li, Z. S. Wu, C. L. Zhang, and X. L. Meng, “STAT3 activation in monocytes accelerates liver cancer progression,” BMC Cancer, vol. 11, article 506, 2011.
- L. Lin, S. Deangelis, E. Foust et al., “A novel small molecule inhibits STAT3 phosphorylation and DNA binding activity and exhibits potent growth suppressive activity in human cancer cells,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 9, article 217, 2010.
- A. Ghantous, H. Gali-Muhtasib, H. Vuorela, N. A. Saliba, and N. Darwiche, “What made sesquiterpene lactones reach cancer clinical trials?” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 15, no. 15-16, pp. 668–678, 2010.
- S. Zhang, Y. K. Won, C. N. Ong, and H. M. Shen, “Anti-cancer potential of sesquiterpene lactones: bioactivity and molecular mechanisms,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 239–249, 2005.
- H. C. Pal, I. Sehar, S. Bhushan, B. D. Gupta, and A. K. Saxena, “Activation of caspases and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase cleavage to induce apoptosis in leukemia HL-60 cells by Inula racemosa,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1599–1609, 2010.
- A. Trendafilova, C. Chanev, and M. Todorova, “Ultrasound-assisted extraction of alantolactone and isoalantolactone from Inula helenium roots,” Pharmacognosy Magazine, vol. 6, no. 23, pp. 234–237, 2010.
- M. Khan, F. Yi, A. Rasul et al., “Alantolactone induces apoptosis in glioblastoma cells via GSH depletion, ROS generation, and mitochondrial dysfunction,” IUBMB Life, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 783–794, 2012.
- E. Butturini, E. Cavalieri, A. C. de Prati et al., “Two naturally occurring terpenes, dehydrocostuslactone and costunolide, decrease intracellular GSH content and inhibit STAT3 activation,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e20174, 2011.
- M. Khan, B. Zheng, F. Yi, et al., “Pseudolaric acid B induces caspase-dependent and caspase-independent apoptosis in U87 glioblastoma cells,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 957568, 11 pages, 2012.
- M. Khan, B. Yu, A. Rasul et al., “Jaceosidin induces apoptosis in U87 glioblastoma cells through G2/M phase arrest,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 703034, 12 pages, 2012.
- X. Ling, Y. Zhou, S. W. Li, B. Yan, and L. Wen, “Modulation of mitochondrial permeability transition pore affects multidrug resistance in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 773–783, 2010.
- Y. B. Ji Yu-Bin, Z. Y. Qu, and X. Zou, “Juglone-induced apoptosis in human gastric cancer SGC-7901 cells via the mitochondrial pathway,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 63, no. 1-2, pp. 69–78, 2011.
- S. Zhang, C. N. Ong, and H. M. Shen, “Critical roles of intracellular thiols and calcium in parthenolide-induced apoptosis in human colorectal cancer cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 208, no. 2, pp. 143–153, 2004.
- P. Guha, A. Dey, R. Sen, M. Chatterjee, S. Chattopadhyay, and S. K. Bandyopadhyay, “Intracellular GSH depletion triggered mitochondrial bax translocation to accomplish resveratrol-induced apoptosis in the U937 cell line,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 336, no. 1, pp. 206–214, 2011.
- M. L. Circu and T. Y. Aw, “Glutathione and apoptosis,” Free Radical Research, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 689–706, 2008.
- S. Deng, Y. Yang, Y. Han et al., “UCP2 inhibits ROS-mediated apoptosis in A549 under hypoxic conditions,” PLoS One, vol. 7, Article ID e30714, 2012.
- V. Sharma, C. Joseph, S. Ghosh, A. Agarwal, M. K. Mishra, and E. Sen, “Kaempferol induces apoptosis in glioblastoma cells through oxidative stress,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 2544–2553, 2007.
- C. Kretz-Remy and A. P. Arrigo, “Gene expression and thiol redox state,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 348, pp. 200–215, 2002.
- D. Carlisi, A. D'Anneo, L. Angileri et al., “Parthenolide sensitizes hepatocellular carcinoma cells to trail by inducing the expression of death receptors through inhibition of STAT3 activation,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 226, no. 6, pp. 1632–1641, 2011.
- Y. Tsujimoto and S. Shimizu, “Role of the mitochondrial membrane permeability transition in cell death,” Apoptosis, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 835–840, 2007.
- M. L. Circu and T. Y. Aw, “Reactive oxygen species, cellular redox systems, and apoptosis,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 749–762, 2010.
- E. Mayola, C. Gallerne, D. D. Esposti et al., “Withaferin A induces apoptosis in human melanoma cells through generation of reactive oxygen species and down-regulation of Bcl-2,” Apoptosis, vol. 16, pp. 1014–1027, 2011.