- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 721738, 8 pages
GPU-Based Cloud Service for Smith-Waterman Algorithm Using Frequency Distance Filtration Scheme
1Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, Chang Gung University, No. 259 Sanmin Road, Guishan, Taoyuan 33302, Taiwan
2Department of Computer Science & Communication Engineering, Providence University, No. 200 Section 7, Taiwan Boulevard, Shalu, Taichung 43301, Taiwan
Received 7 December 2012; Accepted 13 March 2013
Academic Editor: Ching-Hsien Hsu
Copyright © 2013 Sheng-Ta Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. F. Smith and M. S. Waterman, “Identification of common molecular subsequences,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 147, no. 1, pp. 195–197, 1981.
- O. Gotoh, “An improved algorithm for matching biological sequences,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 705–708, 1982.
- D. W. Mount, Sequence and Genome Analysis, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 2004.
- W. R. Pearson and D. J. Lipman, “Improved tools for biological sequence comparison,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 2444–2448, 1988.
- S. F. Altschul, W. Gish, W. Miller, E. W. Myers, and D. J. Lipman, “Basic local alignment search tool,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 215, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 1990.
- S. F. Altschul, T. L. Madden, A. A. Schäffer et al., “Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3389–3402, 1997.
- T. Oliver, B. Schmidt, D. Nathan, R. Clemens, and D. L. Maskell, “Using reconfigurable hardware to accelerate multiple sequence alignment with ClustalW,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 16, pp. 3431–3432, 2005.
- T. Oliver, B. Schmidt, and D. L. Maskell, “Reconfigurable architectures for bio-sequence database scanning on FPGAs,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 52, pp. 851–855, 2005.
- I. T. S. Li, W. Shum, and K. Truong, “160-fold acceleration of the Smith-Waterman algorithm using a field programmable gate array (FPGA),” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 8, article 185, 2007.
- A. Szalkowski, C. Ledergerber, P. Krahenbuhl, and C. Dessimoz, “SWPS3—fast multi-threaded vectorized Smith-Waterman for IBM Cell/B.E. and x86/SSE2,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 1, p. 107, 2008.
- M. S. Farrar, “Optimizing Smith-Waterman for the Cell Broadband Engine,” http://farrar.michael.googlepages.com/SW-CellBE.pdf.
- A. Wirawan, C. K. Kwoh, N. T. Hieu, and B. Schmidt, “CBESW: sequence alignment on the playstation 3,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, article 377, 2008.
- Y. Liu, W. Huang, J. Johnson, and S. H. Vaidya, “GPU accelerated smith–waterman,” in Proceedings of the Computational Science (ICCS '06), vol. 3994 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Part 4, pp. 188–195.
- NVIDIA GPU Computing Documentations, http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/index.html.
- W. Liu, B. Schmidt, G. Voss, and W. Müller-Wittig, “Streaming algorithms for biological sequence alignment on GPUs,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1270–1281, 2007.
- S. A. Manavski and G. Valle, “CUDA compatible GPU cards as efficient hardware accelerators for Smith-Waterman sequence alignment,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, supplement 2, article S10, 2008.
- Y. Liu, D. L. Maskell, and B. Schmidt, “CUDASW++: optimizing Smith-Waterman sequence database searches for CUDA-enabled graphics processing units,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 2, article 73, 2009.
- Y. Liu, B. Schmidt, and D. L. Maskell, “CUDASW++2.0: enhanced Smith-Waterman protein database search on CUDA-enabled GPUs based on SIMT and virtualized SIMD abstractions,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 3, article 93, 2010.
- T. Kahveci, V. Ljosa, and A. K. Singh, “Speeding up whole-genome alignment by indexing frequency vectors,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 13, pp. 2122–2134, 2004.
- S. Henikoff and J. G. Henikoff, “Amino acid substitution matrices from protein blocks,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 22, pp. 10915–10919, 1992.
- M. O. Dayhoff, R. M. Schwartz, B. C. Orcutt, et al., “A model of evolutionary change in proteins,” in Atlas of Protein Sequence and Structure, M. O. Dayhoff, Ed., National Biomedical Research Foundation, 1978.
- A. Wozniak, “Using video-oriented instructions to speed up sequence comparison,” Computer Applications in the Biosciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 145–150, 1997.
- T. Rognes and E. Seeberg, “Six-fold speed-up of Smith-Waterman sequence database searches using parallel processing on common microprocessors,” Bioinformatics, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 699–706, 2000.
- M. Farrar, “Striped Smith-Waterman speeds database searches six times over other SIMD implementations,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 156–161, 2007.
- B. Alpern, L. Carter, and K. S. Gatlin, “Microparallelism and high-performance protein matching,” in Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Supercomputing Conference, pp. 536–551, December 1995.
- W. R. Rudnicki, A. Jankowski, A. Modzelewski, A. Piotrowski, and A. Zadrozny, “The new SIMD implementation of the smith-waterman algorithm on cell microprocessor,” Fundamenta Informaticae, vol. 96, no. 1-2, pp. 181–194, 2009.
- Y. Liu, B. Schmidt, and D. L. Maskell, “MSA-CUDA: multiple sequence alignment on graphics processing units with CUDA,” in Proceedings of the 20th IEEE International Conference on Application-Specific Systems, Architectures and Processors (ASAP '09), pp. 121–128, July 2009.
- A. Khajeh-Saeed, S. Poole, and J. B. Perot, “Acceleration of the Smith-Waterman algorithm using single and multiple graphics processors,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 229, no. 11, pp. 4247–4258, 2010.