- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 724183, 7 pages
Myricitrin Inhibits Acrylamide-Mediated Cytotoxicity in Human Caco-2 Cells by Preventing Oxidative Stress
1Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Fuli Institute of Food Science, Zhejiang Key laboratory for Agro-Food Processing, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310058, China
2College of Food Science and Biotechnology, Zhejiang Gongshang University, Hangzhou 310035, China
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 16 September 2013
Academic Editor: Juergen Buenger
Copyright © 2013 Wei Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Tareke, P. Rydberg, P. Karlsson, S. Eriksson, and M. Törnqvist, “Analysis of acrylamide, a carcinogen formed in heated foodstuffs,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 17, pp. 4998–5006, 2002.
- D. S. Mottram, B. L. Wedzicha, and A. T. Dodson, “Food chemistry: acrylamide is formed in the Maillard reaction,” Nature, vol. 419, no. 6906, pp. 448–449, 2002.
- R. H. Stadler, I. Blank, N. Varga et al., “Food chemistry: acrylamide from Maillard reaction products,” Nature, vol. 419, no. 6906, pp. 449–450, 2002.
- WHO, “FAO/WHO consultation on the health implications of acrylamide in food,” Summary Report of a Meeting Held in Geneva, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002.
- J. M. Rice, “The carcinogenicity of acrylamide,” Mutation Research, vol. 580, no. 1-2, pp. 3–20, 2005.
- R. M. LoPachin, “Acrylamide neurotoxicity: neurological, morhological and molecular endpoints in animal models,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 561, pp. 21–37, 2005.
- I. Rodríguez-Ramiro, S. Ramos, L. Bravo, L. Goya, and M. Á. Martín, “Procyanidin B2 and a cocoa polyphenolic extract inhibit acrylamide-induced apoptosis in human Caco-2 cells by preventing oxidative stress and activation of JNK pathway,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1186–1194, 2011.
- J. Cao, Y. Liu, L. Jia et al., “Curcumin attenuates acrylamide-induced cytotoxicity and genotoxicity in HepG2 cells by ROS scavenging,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 24, pp. 12059–12063, 2008.
- X. Zhang, L. Jiang, C. Geng, H. Yoshimura, and L. Zhong, “Inhibition of acrylamide genotoxicity in human liver-derived HepG2 cells by the antioxidant hydroxytyrosol,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 176, no. 2-3, pp. 173–178, 2008.
- S. N. Prasad, “Evidence of acrylamide induced oxidative stress and neurotoxicity in Drosophila melanogaster: its amelioration with spice active enrichment: relevance to neuropathy,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1254–1264, 2012.
- B. D. Paul, G. S. Rao, and G. J. Kapadia, “Isolation of myricadiol, myricitrin, taraxerol, and taraxerone from Myrica cerifera L. root bark,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 958–959, 1974.
- H. Matsuda, M. Higashino, W. Chen, H. Tosa, M. Iinuma, and M. Kubo, “Studies of cuticle drugs from natural sources. III. Inhibitory effect of Myrica rubra on melanin biosynthesis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1148–1150, 1995.
- J. Bao, Y. Cai, M. Sun, G. Wang, and H. Corke, “Anthocyanins, flavonols, and free radical scavenging activity of Chinese Bayberry (Myrica rubra) extracts and their color properties and stability,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 2327–2332, 2005.
- T. P. T. Cushnie and A. J. Lamb, “Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 343–356, 2005.
- E. R. Lee, G. H. Kang, and S. G. Cho, “Effect of flavonoids on human health: old subjects but new challenges,” Recent Patents on Biotechnology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 139–150, 2007.
- A. Kale, S. Gawande, and S. Kotwal, “Cancer phytotherapeutics: role for flavonoids at the cellular level,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 567–577, 2008.
- F. C. Meotti, A. P. Luiz, M. G. Pizzolatti, C. A. L. Kassuya, J. B. Calixto, and A. R. S. Santos, “Analysis of the antinociceptive effect of the flavonoid myricitrin: evidence for a role of the L-arginine-nitric oxide and protein kinase C pathways,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. 789–796, 2006.
- Y. H. Wang, Z. H. Xuan, S. Tian, G. R. He, and G. H. Du, “Myricitrin attenuates 6-hydroxydopamine-induced mitochondrial damage and apoptosis in PC12 cells via inhibition of mitochondrial oxidation,” Journal of Functional Foods, vol. 5, pp. 337–345, 2013.
- L. Bouby and N. Gislon, “Use of DPPH as radical scavenger in radiolysis of organic compounds by Co-60 gamma-rays,” Radiation Research, vol. 9, pp. 94–94, 1958.
- R. Re, N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, “Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 9-10, pp. 1231–1237, 1999.
- I. F. F. Benzie and J. J. Strain, “The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of 'antioxidant power': the FRAP assay,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 239, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 1996.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Formation of a thiobarbituric-acid-reactive substance from deoxyribose in the presence of iron salts. The role of superoxide and hydroxyl radicals,” FEBS Letters, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 347–352, 1981.
- W. Chen, F. Y. He, and Y. Q. Li, “The apoptosis effect of hispolon from Phellinus linteus (Berkeley & Curtis) Teng on human epidermoid KB cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 105, no. 1-2, pp. 280–285, 2006.
- W. Chen, Z. Zhao, L. Li et al., “Hispolon induces apoptosis in human gastric cancer cells through a ROS-mediated mitochondrial pathway,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 60–72, 2008.
- W. Chen, L. Feng, H. Nie, and X. Zheng, “Andrographolide induces autophagic cell death in human liver cancer cells through cyclophilin D-mediated mitochondrial permeability transition pore,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 33, pp. 2190–2198, 2012.
- C. D. Porto, S. Calligaris, E. Celotti, and M. C. Nicoli, “Antiradical properties of commercial cognacs assessed by the DPPH· test,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 4241–4245, 2000.
- G. P. P. Kamatou, A. M. Viljoen, and P. Steenkamp, “Antioxidant, antiinflammatory activities and HPLC analysis of South African Salvia species,” Food Chemistry, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 684–688, 2010.
- O. Erel, “A novel automated direct measurement method for total antioxidant capacity using a new generation, more stable ABTS radical cation,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 277–285, 2004.
- S. Habtemariam and C. Jackson, “Antioxidant and cytoprotective activity of leaves of Peltiphyllum peltatum (Torr.) Engl,” Food Chemistry, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 498–503, 2007.
- S. J. Stohs and D. Bagchi, “Oxidative mechanisms in the toxicity of metal ions,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 321–336, 1995.
- H. Amiri, “Chemical composition, antibacterial and antioxidant activity of the essential oil of Tanacetum polycephalum Schutz. Bip,” International Journal of Botany, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 321–324, 2007.
- R. Visconti and D. Grieco, “New insights on oxidative stress in cancer,” Current Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 240–245, 2009.
- I. M. Fearon and S. P. Faux, “Oxidative stress and cardiovascular disease: novel tools give (free) radical insight,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 47, pp. 372–381, 2009.
- M. T. Lin and M. F. Beal, “Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases,” Nature, vol. 443, no. 7113, pp. 787–795, 2006.
- N. Houstis, E. D. Rosen, and E. S. Lander, “Reactive oxygen species have a causal role in multiple forms of insulin resistance,” Nature, vol. 440, no. 7086, pp. 944–948, 2006.
- W. Parzefall, “Minireview on the toxicity of dietary acrylamide,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1360–1364, 2008.
- L. A. Griffiths and G. E. Smith, “Metabolism of myricetin and related compounds in the rat. Metabolite formation in vivo and by the intestinal microflora in vitro,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 141–151, 1972.
- Y. Fu, Z. Li, J. Si, Q. Chang, Z. Li, and R. Pan, “Separation and purification of myricitrin from bayberry tree bark by high-speed counter-current chromatography,” Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies, vol. 36, pp. 1503–1512, 2012.