- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 724763, 9 pages
Design and In Vitro Evaluation of a New Nano-Microparticulate System for Enhanced Aqueous-Phase Solubility of Curcumin
1Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, TX 78712, USA
2Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos, 62209 Cuernavaca, MOR, Mexico
3Polymer Laboratory, Faculty of Science, Mansoura University, Mansoura 35516, Egypt
4Center for Materials Science, Zewail University, Zewail City of Science and Technology, 6th of October City, Giza 12588, Egypt
Received 11 April 2013; Revised 23 June 2013; Accepted 25 June 2013
Academic Editor: Mohamad A. Hussein
Copyright © 2013 Diana Guzman-Villanueva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Zhang, G. Y. Koh, D. P. Jeansonne et al., “A novel solubility-enhanced curcumin formulation showing stability and maintenance of anticancer activity,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 2778–2789, 2011.
- R. Wilken, M. S. Veena, M. B. Wang, and E. S. Srivatsan, “Curcumin: a review of anti-cancer properties and therapeutic activity in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 10, p. 12, 2011.
- S. Singh and A. Khar, “Biological effects of curcumin and its role in cancer chemoprevention and therapy,” Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 259–270, 2006.
- M.-H. Teiten, F. Gaascht, S. Eifes, M. Dicato, and M. Diederich, “Chemopreventive potential of curcumin in prostate cancer,” Genes and Nutrition, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 61–74, 2010.
- F.-L. Yen, T.-H. Wu, C.-W. Tzeng, L.-T. Lin, and C.-C. Lin, “Curcumin nanoparticles improve the physicochemical properties of curcumin and effectively enhance its antioxidant and antihepatoma activities,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 7376–7382, 2010.
- J. M. Davis, E. A. Murphy, M. D. Carmichael et al., “Curcumin effects on inflammation and performance recovery following eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 6, pp. R2168–R2173, 2007.
- X. Wang, Y. Jiang, Y. Wang, M. Huang, C. Ho, and Q. Huang, “Enhancing anti-inflammation activity of curcumin through O/W nanoemulsions,” Food Chemistry, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 419–424, 2008.
- A. N. Begum, M. R. Jones, G. P. Lim et al., “Curcumin structure-function, bioavailability, and efficacy in models of neuroinflammation and Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 326, no. 1, pp. 196–208, 2008.
- J. Epstein, I. R. Sanderson, and T. T. MacDonald, “Curcumin as a therapeutic agent: the evidence from in vitro, animal and human studies,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 1545–1557, 2010.
- S. Singh and B. B. Aggarwal, “Activation of transcription factor NF-kappa B is suppressed by curcumin (diferuloylmethane),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 42, pp. 24995–25000, 1995.
- D. G. Binion, M. F. Otterson, and P. Rafiee, “Curcumin inhibits VEGF-mediated angiogenesis in human intestinal microvascular endothelial cells through COX-2 and MAPK inhibition,” Gut, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1509–1517, 2008.
- A. Chen and J. Xu, “Activation of PPARγ by curcumin inhibits Moser cell growth and mediates suppression of gene expression of cyclin D1 and EGFR,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 3, pp. G447–G456, 2005.
- P. Rinwa, B. Kaur, A. S. Jaggi, and N. Singh, “Involvement of PPAR-gamma in curcumin-mediated beneficial effects in experimental dementia,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 381, no. 6, pp. 529–539, 2010.
- N. Chainani-Wu, “Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of tumeric (Curcuma longa),” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 161–168, 2003.
- A. L. Chen, C. H. Hsu, J. K. Lin et al., “Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemopreventive agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions,” Anticancer Research B, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 2895–2900, 2001.
- C. D. Lao, M. T. Ruffin IV, D. Normolle et al., “Dose escalation of a curcuminoid formulation,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, p. 10, 2006.
- S. Onoue, H. Takahashi, Y. Kawabata et al., “Formulation design and photochemical studies on nanocrystal solid dispersion of curcumin with improved oral bioavailability,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 1871–1881, 2010.
- P. Anand, A. B. Kunnumakkara, R. A. Newman, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Bioavailability of curcumin: problems and promises,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 807–818, 2007.
- M. M. Yallapu, B. K. Gupta, M. Jaggi, and S. C. Chauhan, “Fabrication of curcumin encapsulated PLGA nanoparticles for improved therapeutic effects in metastatic cancer cells,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 351, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2010.
- C. Ireson, S. Orr, D. J. L. Jones et al., “Characterization of metabolites of the chemopreventive agent curcumin in human and rat hepatocytes and in the rat in vivo, and evaluation of their ability to inhibit phorbol ester-induced prostaglandin E2 production,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1058–1064, 2001.
- S. Shishu, N. Gupta, and N. Aggarwal, “Bioavailability enhancement and targeting of stomach tumors using gastro-retentive floating drug delivery system of Curcumin—“a technical note”,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 810–813, 2008.
- J. Cui, B. Yu, Y. Zhao et al., “Enhancement of oral absorption of curcumin by self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 371, no. 1-2, pp. 148–155, 2009.
- R. L. Thangapazham, A. Puri, S. Tele, R. Blumenthal, and R. K. Maheshwari, “Evaluation of a nanotechnology-based carrier for delivery of curcumin in prostate cancer cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1119–1123, 2008.
- S. Bisht, G. Feldmann, S. Soni et al., “Polymeric nanoparticle-encapsulated curcumin (“nanocurcumin”): a novel strategy for human cancer therapy,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 3, 2007.
- P. Anand, H. B. Nair, B. Sung et al., “Design of curcumin-loaded PLGA nanoparticles formulation with enhanced cellular uptake, and increased bioactivity in vitro and superior bioavailability in vivo,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 330–338, 2010.
- R. K. Das, N. Kasoju, and U. Bora, “Encapsulation of curcumin in alginate-chitosan-pluronic composite nanoparticles for delivery to cancer cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. e153–e160, 2010.
- C. R. Dass and P. Choong, “The use of chitosan formulations in cancer therapy,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 275–279, 2008.
- M. Prabaharan, “Review paper: chitosan derivatives as promising materials for controlled drug delivery,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 5–36, 2008.
- M. N. V. Ravi Kumar, “A review of chitin and chitosan applications,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- H. S. Kaş, “Chitosan: properties, preparations and application to microparticulate systems,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 689–711, 1997.
- M. Prabaharan and J. F. Mano, “Chitosan-based particles as controlled drug delivery systems,” Drug Delivery, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 41–57, 2005.
- D. Poncelet, R. Lencki, C. Beaulieu, J. P. Halle, R. J. Neufeld, and A. Fournier, “Production of alginate beads by emulsification/internal gelation. I. Methodology,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 1992.
- Z. Mohamadnia, M. J. Zohuriaan-Mehr, K. Kabiri, A. Jamshidi, and H. Mobedi, “Ionically cross-linked carrageenan-alginate hydrogel beads,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2008.
- A. D. Augst, H. J. Kong, and D. J. Mooney, “Alginate hydrogels as biomaterials,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 623–633, 2006.
- W. R. Gombotz and S. F. Wee, “Protein release from alginate matrices,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 267–285, 1998.
- K. I. Draget, G. Skjåk-Bræk, and O. Smidsrød, “Alginate based new materials,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 21, no. 1-2, pp. 47–55, 1997.
- P. Piyakulawat, N. Praphairaksit, N. Chantarasiri, and N. Muangsin, “Preparation and evaluation of chitosan/carrageenan beads for controlled release of sodium Diclofenac,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 8, no. 4, p. E97, 2007.
- V. E. Santo, A. M. Frias, M. Carida et al., “Carrageenan-based hydrogels for the controlled delivery of PDGF-BB in bone tissue engineering applications,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1392–1401, 2009.
- A. Grenha, M. E. Gomes, M. Rodrigues et al., “Development of new chitosan/carrageenan nanoparticles for drug delivery applications,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 1265–1272, 2010.
- M. George and T. E. Abraham, “pH sensitive alginate-guar gum hydrogel for the controlled delivery of protein drugs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 335, no. 1-2, pp. 123–129, 2007.
- I. M. El-Sherbiny, “Enhanced pH-responsive carrier system based on alginate and chemically modified carboxymethyl chitosan for oral delivery of protein drugs: preparation and in-vitro assessment,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 1125–1136, 2010.
- I. M. El-Sherbiny, M. Abdel-Mogib, A. M. Dawidar, A. Elsayed, and H. D. C. Smyth, “Biodegradable pH-responsive alginate-poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid) nano/micro hydrogel matrices for oral delivery of silymarin,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 1345–1354, 2011.
- B. T. Kurien, A. Singh, H. Matsumoto, and R. H. Scofield, “Improving the solubility and pharmacological efficacy of curcumin by heat treatment,” Assay and Drug Development Technologies, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 567–576, 2007.