- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 726478, 6 pages
Teratogenic Potential of Antiepileptic Drugs in the Zebrafish Model
Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305-764, Republic of Korea
Received 9 July 2013; Accepted 9 October 2013
Academic Editor: Daiana Avila
Copyright © 2013 Sung Hak Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Eadie, “Antiepileptic drugs as human teratogens,” Expert Opinion on Drug Safety, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 195–209, 2008.
- C. L. Harden, “Antiepileptic drug teratogenesis: what are the risks for congenital malformations and adverse cognitive outcomes?” International Review of Neurobiology, vol. 83, pp. 205–213, 2008.
- T. Tomson and D. Battino, “Teratogenic effects of antiepileptic drugs,” Seizure, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 166–171, 2008.
- K. C. Brannen, J. M. Panzica-Kelly, T. L. Danberry, and K. A. Augustine-Rauch, “Development of a zebrafish embryo teratogenicity assay and quantitative prediction model,” Birth Defects Research B, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 66–77, 2010.
- D. S. Hill, B. J. Wlodarczyk, A. M. Palacios, and R. H. Finnell, “Teratogenic effects of antiepileptic drugs,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 943–959, 2010.
- C. Ton, Y. Lin, and C. Willett, “Zebrafish as a model for developmental neurotoxicity testing,” Birth Defects Research A, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 553–567, 2006.
- P. McGrath and C. Li, “Zebrafish: a predictive model for assessing drug-induced toxicity,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 13, no. 9-10, pp. 394–401, 2008.
- M. Westerfield, The Zebrafish Book: A Guide for the Laboratory Use of Zebrafish (Danio rerio), University of Oregon Press, Eugene, Ore, USA, 5th edition, 2007.
- N. S. Sipes, S. Padilla, and T. B. Knudsen, “Zebrafish: as an integrative model for twenty-first century toxicity testing,” Birth Defects Research C, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 256–267, 2011.
- M. Meadows, “Pregnancy and the drug dilemma,” FDA Consumer Magazine, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 16–20, 2001.
- C. B. Kimmel, W. W. Ballard, S. R. Kimmel, B. Ullmann, and T. F. Schilling, “Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 203, no. 3, pp. 253–310, 1995.
- S. Weigt, N. Huebler, T. Braunbeck, and F. Landenberg, “Zebrafish teratogenicity test with metabolic activation (mDarT): effects of phase I activation of acetaminophen on zebrafish Danio rerio embryos,” Toxicology, vol. 275, no. 1–3, pp. 36–49, 2010.
- S. Weigt, N. Huebler, R. Strecker, T. Braunbeck, and T. H. Broschard, “Zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos as a model for testing proteratogens,” Toxicology, vol. 281, no. 1–3, pp. 25–36, 2011.
- M. J. Reimers, A. R. Flockton, and R. L. Tanguay, “Ethanol and acetaldehyde-mediated developmental toxicity in zebrafish,” Neurotoxicology and Teratology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 769–781, 2004.
- R. Chapin, K. A. Rauch, B. Beyer et al., “State of the art in developmental toxicity screening methods and a way forward: a meeting report addressing embryonic stem cells, whole embryo culture, and zebrafish,” Birth Defects Research B, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 446–456, 2008.
- L. Etemad, M. Moshiri, and S. A. Moallem, “Epilepsy drugs and effects on fetal development: potential mechanisms,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 876–881, 2012.
- K. Herrmann, “Effects of the anticonvulsant drug valproic acid and related substances on the early development of the zebrafish (Brachydanio rerio),” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 41–54, 1993.
- I. W. T. Selderslaghs, A. R. van Rompay, W. D. Coen, and H. E. Witters, “Development of a screening assay to identify teratogenic and embryotoxic chemicals using the zebrafish embryo,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 308–320, 2009.