- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 729393, 12 pages
Antioxidant and α-Amylase Inhibitory Property of Phyllanthus virgatus L.: An In Vitro and Molecular Interaction Study
1Clinical Biochemistry and Natural Product Research Lab, Department of Biosciences, Integral University, Lucknow 226026, India
2Department of Surgery, Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Received 14 April 2013; Accepted 28 May 2013
Academic Editor: Wilson João Cunico Filho
Copyright © 2013 Arshya Hashim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Styskal, H. van Remmen, A. Richardson, and A. B. Salmon, “Oxidative stress and diabetes: what can we learn about insulin resistance from antioxidant mutant mouse models?” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 46–58, 2012.
- T. Finkel and N. J. Holbrook, “Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing,” Nature, vol. 408, no. 6809, pp. 239–247, 2000.
- B. Halliwell, “Free radicals, antioxidants, and human disease: curiosity, cause, or consequence?” The Lancet, vol. 344, no. 8924, pp. 721–724, 1994.
- J. S. Johansen, A. K. Harris, D. J. Rychly, and A. Ergul, “Oxidative stress and the use of antioxidants in diabetes: linking basic science to clinical pratice,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 4, article 5, 2005.
- J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Biological origin of free radicals and mechanisms of antioxidant protection,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 91, no. 2-3, pp. 133–140, 1994.
- F. A. van de Laar, P. L. Lucassen, R. P. Akkermans, E. H. van de Lisdonk, G. E. Rutten, and C. van Weel, “Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors for type 2 diabetes mellitus (Cochrane Review),” The Cochrane Library, 2008.
- A. Y. Y. Cheng and I. G. Fantus, “Oral antihyperglycemic therapy for type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 213–226, 2005.
- P. M. de Sales, P. M. de Souza, L. A. Simeoni, P. D. O. Magalhães, and D. Silveira, “α-amylase inhibitors: a review of raw material and isolated compounds from plant source,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 141–183, 2012.
- S. Kumar, V. Kumar, M. Rana, and D. Kumar, “Enzymes inhibitors from plants: an alternate approach to treat diabetes,” Pharmacognosy Communications, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 18–33, 2012.
- E. Haslam, “Natural polyphenols (vegetable tannins) as drugs: possible modes of action,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 205–215, 1996.
- Y.-C. Yang, H.-K. Hsu, J.-H. Hwang, and S.-J. Hong, “Enhancement of glucose uptake in 3T3-L1 adipocytes by Toona sinensis leaf extract,” Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 327–333, 2003.
- P. Marin, S. S. Rebuffe, U. Smith, and P. Bjorntorp, “Glucose uptake in human adipose tissue,” Metabolism, vol. 36, pp. 1154–1160, 1987.
- J. Calixto, A. R. S. Santos, V. Filbo, and R. A. Yunes, “Review of the plants of the genus phyllanthus: their chemistry, pharmacology, and therapeutic potential,” Medicinal Research Reviews, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 225–258, 1998.
- A. Kumaran and R. Joel Karunakaran, “In vitro antioxidant activities of methanol extracts of five Phyllanthus species from India,” LWT-Food Science and Technology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 344–352, 2007.
- J. Shabeer, R. S. Srivastava, and S. K. Singh, “Antidiabetic and antioxidant effect of various fractions of Phyllanthus simplex in alloxan diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 34–38, 2009.
- N. V. Rajeshkumar, K. L. Joy, G. Kuttan, R. S. Ramsewak, M. G. Nair, and R. Kuttan, “Antitumour and anticarcinogenic activity of Phyllanthus amarus extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2002.
- V. V. Asha, M. S. Sheeba, V. Suresh, and P. J. Wills, “Hepatoprotection of Phyllanthus maderaspatensis against experimentally induced liver injury in rats,” Fitoterapia, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 134–141, 2007.
- A. Prakash, K. S. Satyan, S. P. Wahi, and R. P. Singh, “Comparative hepatoprotective activity of three phyllanthus species, P. urinaria, P. niruri and P. simplex, on carbon tetrachloride induced liver injury in the rat,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 594–596, 1995.
- H. S. Chouhan and S. K. Singh, “Phytochemical analysis, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Phyllanthus simplex,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 1337–1344, 2011.
- K. Poompachee and N. Chudapongse, “Comparison of the antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of Phyllanthus virgatus and Phyllanthus amarus extracts,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 24–29, 2011.
- K. Regi Raphael, M. C. Sabu, and R. Kuttan, “Hypoglycemic effect of methanol extract of Phyllanthus amarus Schum & Thonn on alloxan induced diabetes mellitus in rats and its relation with antioxidant potential,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 905–909, 2002.
- J. B. Harborne, Phytochemical Methods: A Guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis, vol. 279, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1973.
- V. L. Singleton, R. Orthofer, and R. M. Lamuela-Raventós, “Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 299, pp. 152–178, 1998.
- W. Brand-Williams, M. E. Cuvelier, and C. Benset, “Use of free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity,” Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft Und -Technologie, vol. 28, pp. 25–30, 1995.
- I. F. F. Benzie and J. J. Strain, “The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of “antioxidant power”: the FRAP assay,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 239, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 1996.
- S. Badami, M. K. Gupta, and B. Suresh, “Antioxidant activity of the ethanolic extract of Striga orobanchioides,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 85, no. 2-3, pp. 227–230, 2003.
- J.-C. Lee, H.-R. Kim, J. Kim, and Y.-S. Jang, “Antioxidant property of an ethanol extract of the stem of Opuntia ficus-indica var. saboten,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 22, pp. 6490–6496, 2002.
- P. Bernfeld, “Amylases α and β,” in Methods in Enzymology, S. P. Colowick and N. O. Kaplan, Eds., vol. 1, p. 149, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1955.
- M. A. Mogale, H. M. Mkhombo, S. L. Lebelo, L. J. Shai, M. A. Chauke, and A. Freitas, “The effects of Clausena anisata (Wild) Hook leaf extracts on selected diabetic related metabolizing enzymes,” Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, vol. 6, no. 25, pp. 4200–4207, 2012.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- B. R. Brooks, R. E. Bruccoleri, B. D. Olafson, D. J. Sate, S. Swaminathan, and M. Karplus, “CHARMM: a program for macromolecular energy minimization and dynamics calculations,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 4, pp. 187–217, 1983.
- G. M. Morris, D. S. Goodsell, R. S. Halliday et al., “Automated docking using a Lamarckian genetic algorithm and an empirical binding free energy function,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 1639–1662, 1998.
- M. S. Khan, I. A. Ansari, S. Ahmed, F. Akhtar, A. Hashim, and A. K. Srivastava, “Chemotherapeutic potential of Boeerhaavi diffussa L: a review,” Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, vol. 3, no. 01, pp. 133–139, 2013.
- J. Iqbal, M. S. Khan, and A. Khan, “Protection of oxidative stress induced LDL oxidation and erythrocyte damage from type 2 diabetic subjects by in vitro tocotrienol treatment,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 5, no. 01, pp. 30–37, 2012.
- C. L. Narasimhudu and R. R. V. Raju, “Preliminary phytochemical studies on leaves of phyllanthus species (euphorbiaceae), used by the local tribals of Andhra Pradesh,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Studies and Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 6–9, 2011.
- M. H. Gordon, “The mechanism of antioxidant action in vitro,” in Food Antioxidants, B. J. F. Hudson, Ed., pp. 1–18, Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK, 1990.
- J. Dai and R. J. Mumper, “Plant phenolics: extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer properties,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 7313–7352, 2010.
- B. N. Singh, B. R. Singh, R. L. Singh et al., “Oxidative DNA damage protective activity, antioxidant and anti-quorum sensing potentials of Moringa oleifera,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1109–1116, 2009.
- D. Zhang, T. Yasuda, Y. Yu et al., “Ginseng extract scavenges hydroxyl radical and protects unsaturated fatty acids from decomposition caused by iron-mediated lipid peroxidation,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 145–150, 1996.
- A. K. Tiwari, “Wisdom of Ayurveda in perceiving diabetes: enigma of therapeutic recognition,” Current Science, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 1043–1051, 2005.
- M. R. Bhandari, N. Jong-Anurakkun, G. Hong, and J. Kawabata, “α-Glucosidase and α-amylase inhibitory activities of Nepalese medicinal herb Pakhanbhed (Bergenia ciliata, Haw.),” Food Chemistry, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 247–252, 2008.
- M. Jung, M. Park, H. C. Lee, Y.-H. Kan, E. S. Kang, and S. K. Kim, “Antidiabetic agents from medicinal plants,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1203–1218, 2006.
- E. Lo Piparo, H. Scheib, N. Frei, G. Williamson, M. Grigorov, and C. J. Chou, “Flavonoids for controlling starch digestion: structural requirements for inhibiting human α-amylase,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3555–3561, 2008.
- H. Eldar-Finkelman and E. G. Krebs, “Phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate 1 by glycogen synthase kinase 3 impairs insulin action,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 94, no. 18, pp. 9660–9664, 1997.
- J. R. Zierath and H. Wallberg-Henriksson, “From receptor to effector: Insulin signal transduction in skeletal muscle from type II diabetic patients,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 967, pp. 120–134, 2002.
- P. L. Owen, L. C. Martineau, D. Caves, P. S. Haddad, T. Matainaho, and T. Johns, “Consumption of guava (Psidium guajava L) and noni (Morinda citrifolia L) may protect betel quid-chewing Papua New Guineans against diabetes,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 635–643, 2008.
- A. P. Jorge, H. Horst, E. D. Sousa, M. G. Pizzolatti, and F. R. M. B. Silva, “Insulinomimetic effects of kaempferitrin on glycaemia and on 14C-glucose uptake in rat soleus muscle,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 149, no. 2-3, pp. 89–96, 2004.
- S. Hasan, M. Danishuddin, M. Adil, K. Singh, P. K. Verma, and A. U. Khan, “Efficacy of E. officinalis on the cariogenic properties of streptococcus mutans: a novel and alternative approach to suppress quorum-sensing mechanism,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- S. H. Lee, K.-Y. Kim, S. Y. Ryu et al., “Asarone inhibits adipogenesis and stimulates lipolysis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. OL1215–OL1222, 2010.
- M. Salman Khan, S. Akhtar, O. A. Al-Sagair, and J. M. Arif, “Protective effect of dietary tocotrienols against infection and inflammation-induced hyperlipidemia: an in vivo and in silico study,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1586–1595, 2011.
- J. W. Ryder, C. P. Portocarrero, X. M. Song et al., “Isomer-specific antidiabetic properties of conjugated linoleic acid: Improved glucose tolerance, skeletal muscle insulin action, and UCP-2 gene expression,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1149–1157, 2001.
- Š. Janeček, B. Svensson, and B. Henrissat, “Domain evolution in the α-amylase family,” Journal of Molecular Evolution, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 322–331, 1997.