- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 732182, 7 pages
Biomaterials-Based Modulation of the Immune System
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 19 August 2013
Academic Editor: Soo-Hong Lee
Copyright © 2013 Austin B. Gardner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. S. Weintraub, “The pathophysiology and burden of restenosis,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. S3–S9, 2007.
- M. N. Rahaman, D. E. Day, B. Sonny Bal et al., “Bioactive glass in tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 2355–2373, 2011.
- S. K. Misra, S. P. Valappil, I. Roy, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA)/inorganic phase composites for tissue engineering applications,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2249–2258, 2006.
- W. G. Brodbeck and J. M. Anderson, “Giant cell formation and function,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2009.
- N. Cobelli, B. Scharf, G. M. Crisi, J. Hardin, and L. Santambrogio, “Mediators of the inflammatory response to joint replacement devices,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 600–608, 2011.
- P. de Vos, C. G. Hoogmoed, and H. J. Busscher, “Chemistry and biocompatibility of alginate-PLL capsules for immunoprotection of mammalian cells,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 252–259, 2002.
- I. F. Uchegbu, A. G. Schätzlein, L. Tetley et al., “Polymeric chitosan-based vesicles for drug delivery,” The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 453–458, 1998.
- A. Sano, T. Hojo, M. Maeda, and K. Fujioka, “Protein release from collagen matrices,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 247–266, 1998.
- J. P. Draye, B. Delaey, A. van de Voorde, A. van den Bulcke, B. de Reu, and E. Schacht, “In vitro and in vivo biocompatibility of dextran dialdehyde cross-linked gelatin hydrogel films,” Biomaterials, vol. 19, no. 18, pp. 1677–1687, 1998.
- K. P. Vercruysse and G. D. Prestwich, “Hyaluronate derivatives in drug delivery,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 513–555, 1998.
- K. A. Athanasiou, G. G. Niederauer, and C. M. Agrawal, “Sterilization, toxicity, biocompatibility and clinical applications of polylactic acid/polyglycolic acid copolymers,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 93–102, 1996.
- C. Espadas-Torre and M. E. Meyerhoff, “Thrombogenic properties of untreated and poly(ethylene oxide)-modified polymeric matrices useful for preparing intraarterial ion-selective electrodes,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 67, no. 18, pp. 3108–3114, 1995.
- G. Paradossi, F. Cavalieri, E. Chiessi, C. Spagnoli, and M. K. Cowman, “Poly(vinyl alcohol) as versatile biomaterial for potential biomedical applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 687–691, 2003.
- Y.-X. Wang, J. L. Robertson, W. B. Spillman Jr., and R. O. Claus, “Effects of the chemical structure and the surface properties of polymeric biomaterials on their biocompatibility,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1362–1373, 2004.
- J. S. Lewis, T. D. Zaveri, C. P. Crooks 2nd, and B. G. Keselowsky, “Microparticle surface modifications targeting dendritic cells for non-activating applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 29, pp. 7221–7232, 2012.
- E. M. Hetrick and M. H. Schoenfisch, “Reducing implant-related infections: active release strategies,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 780–789, 2006.
- B. J. Nablo, H. L. Prichard, R. D. Butler, B. Klitzman, and M. H. Schoenfisch, “Inhibition of implant-associated infections via nitric oxide release,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 34, pp. 6984–6990, 2005.
- M. Yaseen, X. Zhao, A. Freund, A. M. Seifalian, and J. R. Lu, “Surface structural conformations of fibrinogen polypeptides for improved biocompatibility,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 3781–3792, 2010.
- J. Y. Park, C. H. Gemmell, and J. E. Davies, “Platelet interactions with titanium: modulation of platelet activity by surface topography,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 19, pp. 2671–2682, 2001.
- A. Curtis and C. Wilkinson, “Topographical control of cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 1573–1583, 1997.
- A. Wennerberg, T. Albrektsson, C. Johansson, and B. Andersson, “Experimental study of turned and grit-blasted screw-shaped implants with special emphasis on effects of blasting material and surface topography,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 1996.
- J. Holmgren and C. Czerkinsky, “Mucosal immunity and vaccines,” Nature Medicine, vol. 11, supplement 4, pp. S45–S53, 2005.
- R. A. Cone, “Barrier properties of mucus,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 75–85, 2009.
- S. K. Lai, D. E. O'Hanlon, S. Harrold et al., “Rapid transport of large polymeric nanoparticles in fresh undiluted human mucus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 1482–1487, 2007.
- Y. Huang, W. Leobandung, A. Foss, and N. A. Peppas, “Molecular aspects of muco- and bioadhesion: tethered structures and site-specific surfaces,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 63–71, 2000.
- L. J. Cruz, P. J. Tacken, R. Fokkink, and C. G. Figdor, “The influence of PEG chain length and targeting moiety on antibody-mediated delivery of nanoparticle vaccines to human dendritic cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 28, pp. 6791–6803, 2011.
- S. Cerritelli, D. Velluto, and J. A. Hubbell, “PEG-SS-PPS: reduction-sensitive disulfide block copolymer vesicles for intracellular drug delivery,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1966–1972, 2007.
- C. Wang, Q. Ge, D. Ting et al., “Molecularly engineered poly(ortho ester) microspheres for enhanced delivery of DNA vaccines,” Nature Materials, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 190–196, 2004.
- M. J. Heffernan, S. P. Kasturi, S. C. Yang, B. Pulendran, and N. Murthy, “The stimulation of CD8+ T cells by dendritic cells pulsed with polyketal microparticles containing ion-paired protein antigen and poly(inosinic acid)-poly(cytidylic acid),” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 910–918, 2009.
- S. E. Paramonov, E. M. Bachelder, T. T. Beaudette et al., “Fully acid-degradable biocompatible polyacetal microparticles for drug delivery,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 911–919, 2008.
- S. Flanary , A. S. Hoffman, and P. S. Stayton, “Antigen delivery with poly(propylacrylic acid) conjugation enhances MHC-1 presentation and T-CeIl activation,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 241–248, 2009.
- J. L. Cohen, A. Almutairi, J. A. Cohen et al., “Enhanced cell penetration of acid-degradable particles functionalized with cell-penetrating peptides,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 876–881, 2008.
- O. Boussif, F. Lezoualc'h, M. A. Zanta et al., “A versatile vector for gene and oligonucleotide transfer into cells in culture and in vivo: polyethylenimine,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 16, pp. 7297–7301, 1995.
- Y. Hu, P. U. Atukorale, J. J. Lu et al., “Cytosolic delivery mediated via electrostatic surface binding of protein, virus, or siRNA cargos to pH-responsive core-shell gel particles,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 756–765, 2009.
- Y. Hu, T. Litwin, A. R. Nagaraja et al., “Cytosolic delivery of membrane-impermeable molecules in dendritic cells using pH-responsive core-shell nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 3056–3064, 2007.
- A. P. Acharya, M. J. Clare-Salzler, and B. G. Keselowsky, “A high-throughput microparticle microarray platform for dendritic cell-targeting vaccines,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 25, pp. 4168–4177, 2009.
- A. P. Acharya, J. S. Lewis, and B. G. Keselowsky, “Combinatorial co-encapsulation of hydrophobic molecules in poly(lactide-co-glycolide) microparticles,” Biomaterials, vol. 34, no. 13, pp. 3422–3430, 2013.
- S.-W. Choe, A. P. Acharya, B. G. Keselowsky, and B. S. Sorg, “Intravital microscopy imaging of macrophage localization to immunogenic particles and co-localized tissue oxygen saturation,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 3491–3498, 2010.
- A. P. Acharya, N. V. Dolgova, M. J. Clare-Salzler, and B. G. Keselowsky, “Adhesive substrate-modulation of adaptive immune responses,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 36, pp. 4736–4750, 2008.
- A. P. Acharya, N. V. Dolgova, N. M. Moore et al., “The modulation of dendritic cell integrin binding and activation by RGD-peptide density gradient substrates,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 29, pp. 7444–7454, 2010.
- A. P. Acharya, N. V. Dolgova, C. Q. Xia, M. J. Clare-Salzler, and B. G. Keselowsky, “Adhesive substrates modulate the activation and stimulatory capacity of non-obese diabetic mouse-derived dendritic cells,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 180–192, 2011.