- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 736815, 6 pages
Therapeutic Application of Cardiac Stem Cells and Other Cell Types
Tokai University Institute of Innovative Science and Technology, 143 Shimokasuya, Isehara, Kanagawa 259-1193, Japan
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 15 June 2013
Academic Editor: Kimimasa Tobita
Copyright © 2013 Emiko Hayashi and Toru Hosoda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. P. Beltrami, L. Barlucchi, D. Torella et al., “Adult cardiac stem cells are multipotent and support myocardial regeneration,” Cell, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 763–776, 2003.
- O. Bergmann, R. D. Bhardwaj, S. Bernard et al., “Evidence for cardiomyocyte renewal in humans,” Science, vol. 324, no. 5923, pp. 98–102, 2009.
- J. Kajstura, N. Gurusamy, B. Ogórek et al., “Myocyte turnover in the aging human heart,” Circulation Research, vol. 107, no. 11, pp. 1374–1386, 2010.
- J. Kajstura, M. Rota, D. Cappetta, et al., “Cardiomyogenesis in the aging and failing human heart,” Circulation, vol. 126, no. 15, pp. 1869–1881, 2012.
- P. Menasché, A. A. Hagège, M. Scorsin et al., “Myoblast transplantation for heart failure,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9252, pp. 279–280, 2001.
- S. Durrani, M. Konoplyannikov, M. Ashraf, and K. H. Haider, “Skeletal myoblasts for cardiac repair,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 919–932, 2010.
- P. Menasché, O. Alfieri, S. Janssens et al., “The myoblast autologous grafting in ischemic cardiomyopathy (MAGIC) trial: first randomized placebo-controlled study of myoblast transplantation,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1189–1200, 2008.
- Y. Sawa, S. Miyagawa, T. Sakaguchi et al., “Tissue engineered myoblast sheets improved cardiac function sufficiently to discontinue LVAS in a patient with DCM: report of a case,” Surgery Today, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 2012.
- T. Hosoda, D. D'Amario, M. C. Cabral-Da-Silva et al., “Clonality of mouse and human cardiomyogenesis in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 40, pp. 17169–17174, 2009.
- D. Orlic, J. Kajstura, S. Chimenti et al., “Bone marrow cells regenerate infarcted myocardium,” Nature, vol. 410, no. 6829, pp. 701–705, 2001.
- B. E. Strauer, M. Brehm, T. Zeus et al., “Repair of infarcted myocardium by autologous intracoronary mononuclear bone marrow cell transplantation in humans,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 15, pp. 1913–1918, 2002.
- B. Assmus, V. Schächinger, C. Teupe et al., “Transplantation of progenitor cells and regeneration enhancement in acute myocardial infarction (TOPCARE-AMI),” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 24, pp. 3009–3017, 2002.
- V. Schächinger, S. Erbs, A. Elsässer et al., “Intracoronary bone marrow-derived progenitor cells in acute myocardial infarction,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 12, pp. 1210–1221, 2006.
- V. Jeevanantham, M. Butler, A. Saad, A. Abdel-Latif, E. K. Zuba-Surma, and B. Dawn, “Adult bone marrow cell therapy improves survival and induces long-term improvement in cardiac parameters: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Circulation, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 551–568, 2012.
- H. Zimmet, P. Porapakkham, P. Porapakkham et al., “Short-and long-term outcomes of intracoronary and endogenously mobilized bone marrow stem cells in the treatment of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis of randomized control trials,” European Journal of Heart Failure, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 91–105, 2012.
- F. H. Seeger, T. Rasper, A. Fischer, et al., “Heparin disrupts the CXCR4/SDF-1 axis and impairs the functional capacity of bone marrow-derived mononuclear cells used for cardiovascular repair,” Circulation Research, vol. 111, no. 7, pp. 854–862, 2012.
- U. Fischer-Rasokat, B. Assmus, F. H. Seeger et al., “A pilot trial to assess potential effects of selective Intracoronary bone marrow-derived progenitor cell infusion in patients with nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy: final 1-year results of the transplantation of progenitor cells and functional regeneration enhancement pilot trial in patients with nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy,” Circulation: Heart Failure, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 417–423, 2009.
- R. T. Sant'Anna, R. A. K. Kalil, A. S. Pretto Neto et al., “Global contractility increment in nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy after free wall-only intramyocardial injection of autologous bone marrow mononuclear cells: an insight over stem cells clinical mechanism of action,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 959–964, 2010.
- R. Bolli, A. R. Chugh, D. D'Amario et al., “Cardiac stem cells in patients with ischaemic cardiomyopathy (SCIPIO): initial results of a randomised phase 1 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9806, pp. 1847–1857, 2011.
- R. Bolli, A. R. Chugh, D. D'Amario, et al., “Effect of cardiac stem cells in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy: interim results of the SCIPIO trial up to 2 years after therapy,” Circulation, vol. 126, no. 23, p. 2784, 2012.
- S.-L. Chen, W.-W. Fang, F. Ye et al., “Effect on left ventricular function of intracoronary transplantation of autologous bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell in patients with acute myocardial infarction,” The American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 92–95, 2004.
- Y.-H. Choi, A. Kurtz, and C. Stamm, “Mesenchymal stem cells for cardiac cell therapy,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 3–17, 2011.
- J. M. Hare, J. H. Traverse, T. D. Henry et al., “A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation study of intravenous adult human mesenchymal stem cells (prochymal) after acute myocardial infarction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 24, pp. 2277–2286, 2009.
- J. M. Hare, J. E. Fishman, G. Gerstenblith, et al., “Comparison of allogeneic vs autologous bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells delivered by transendocardial injection in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy: the POSEIDON randomized trial,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, no. 22, pp. 2369–2379, 2012.
- X.-P. Huang, Z. Sun, Y. Miyagi et al., “Differentiation of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells induces immunogenicity and limits their long-term benefits for myocardial repair,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 23, pp. 2419–2429, 2010.
- K. E. Hatzistergos, H. Quevedo, B. N. Oskouei et al., “Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells stimulate cardiac stem cell proliferation and differentiation,” Circulation Research, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 913–922, 2010.
- A. R. Williams, K. E. Hatzistergos, B. Addicott, et al., “Enhanced effect of combining human cardiac stem cells and bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells to reduce infarct size and to restore cardiac function after myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 213–223, 2013.
- J. H. Houtgraaf, W. K. den Dekker, B. M. van Dalen et al., “First experience in humans using adipose tissue-derived regenerative cells in the treatment of patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 539–540, 2012.
- C.-W. Siu and H.-F. Tse, “Cardiac regeneration: messages from CADUCEUS,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9819, pp. 870–871, 2012.
- C. Bearzi, M. Rota, T. Hosoda et al., “Human cardiac stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 35, pp. 14068–14073, 2007.
- A. R. Chugh, G. M. Beache, J. H. Loughran, et al., “Administration of cardiac stem cells in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy: the SCIPIO trial: surgical aspects and interim analysis of myocardial function and viability by magnetic resonance,” Circulation, vol. 126, no. 11, supplement 1, pp. S54–S64, 2012.
- R. R. Makkar, R. R. Smith, K. Cheng et al., “Intracoronary cardiosphere-derived cells for heart regeneration after myocardial infarction (CADUCEUS): a prospective, randomised phase 1 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9819, pp. 895–904, 2012.
- Q. Li, Y. Guo, Q. Ou et al., “Intracoronary administration of cardiac stem cells in mice: a new, improved technique for cell therapy in murine models,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 849–864, 2011.