- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 740195, 5 pages
Diffusion-Weighted Magnetic Resonance Application in Response Prediction before, during, and after Neoadjuvant Radiochemotherapy in Primary Rectal Cancer Carcinoma
1Department of Radiotherapy, Policlinico Umberto I “Sapienza” University of Rome, Viale Regina Elena 326, 00161 Rome, Italy
2Department of Radiological Sciences, Oncology and Pathology, Policlinico Umberto I “Sapienza” University of Rome, Polo Pontino, Corso della Repubblica 79, 04100 Latina, Italy
3Department of Surgical Sciences, Policlinico Umberto I “Sapienza” University of Rome, Viale Regina Elena 326, 00161 Rome, Italy
4Spencer-Lorillard Foundation, Viale Regina Elena 291, 00161 Rome, Italy
Received 16 May 2013; Accepted 24 June 2013
Academic Editor: Aleksandra Nikolic
Copyright © 2013 Daniela Musio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Bonnetain, J. F. Bosset, J. P. Gerard et al., “What is the clinical benefit of preoperative chemoradiotherapy with 5FU/leucovorin for T3-4 rectal cancer in a pooled analysis of EORTC 22921 and FFCD 9203 trials: surrogacy in question?” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1781–1790, 2012.
- H. J. Schmoll, E. Van Cutsem, A. Stein, et al., “ESMO Consensus Guidelines for management of patients with colon and rectal cancer. A personalized approach to clinical decision making,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 2479–2516, 2012.
- A. Habr-Gama, R. O. Perez, W. Nadalin et al., “Operative versus nonoperative treatment for stage 0 distal rectal cancer following chemoradiation therapy: long-term results,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 240, no. 4, pp. 711–718, 2004.
- H. C. Thoeny and B. D. Ross, “Predicting and monitoring cancer treatment response with diffusion-weighted MRI,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 2–16, 2010.
- D. M. Koh and D. J. Collins, “Diffusion-weighted MRI in the body: applications and challenges in oncology,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 188, no. 6, pp. 1622–1635, 2007.
- D. Musio, F. De Felice, N. Bulzonetti, et al., “Neoadjuvant-intensified treatment for rectal cancer: time to change?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, no. 20, Article ID 237169, pp. 3052–3061, 2013.
- D. Le Bihan, E. Breton, D. Lallemand, M.-L. Aubin, J. Vignaud, and M. Laval-Jeantet, “Separation of diffusion and perfusion in intravoxel incoherent motion MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 497–505, 1988.
- C. Aschele, L. Cionini, S. Lonardi et al., “Primary tumor response to preoperative chemoradiation with or without oxaliplatin in locally advanced rectal cancer: pathologic results of the STAR-01 randomized phase III trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 20, pp. 2773–2780, 2011.
- J.-P. Gérard, D. Azria, S. Gourgou-Bourgade et al., “Comparison of two neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy regimens for locally advanced rectal cancer: results of the phase III trial accord 12/0405-Prodige 2,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1638–1644, 2010.
- R. Rödel, T. Liersch, H. Becker, et al., “Preoperative chemoradiotherapy and postoperative chemotherapy with fluorouracil and oxaliplatin versus fluorouracil alone in locally advanced rectal cancer: initial results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-04 randomised phase 3 trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 679–687, 2012.
- H. G. Moore, A. E. Gittleman, B. D. Minsky et al., “Rate of pathologic complete response with increased interval between preoperative combined modality therapy and rectal cancer resection,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 2004.
- Y. C. Kim, J. S. Lim, K. C. Keum et al., “Comparison of diffusion-weighted MRI and MR volumetry in the evaluation of early treatment outcomes after preoperative chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 570–576, 2011.
- A. R. Padhani, G. Liu, D. Mu-Koh et al., “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging as a cancer biomarker: consensus and recommendations,” Neoplasia, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 102–125, 2009.
- M. Zhao, J. G. Pipe, J. Bonnett, and J. L. Evelhoch, “Early detection of treatment response by diffusion-weighted 1H-NMR spectroscopy in a murine tumour in vivo,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 61–64, 1996.
- D. Boone, S. A. Taylor, and S. Halligan, “Diffusion Weighted MRI: overview and implications for rectal cancer management,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 655–661, 2013.
- L. Lemaire, F. A. Howe, L. M. Rodrigues, and J. R. Griffiths, “Assessment of induced rat mammary tumour response to chemotherapy using the apparent diffusion coefficient of tissue water as determined by diffusion-weighted 1H-NMR spectroscopy in vivo,” Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 1999.
- A. Dzik-Jurasz, C. Domenig, M. George et al., “Diffusion MRI for prediction of response of rectal cancer to chemoradiation,” The Lancet, vol. 360, no. 9329, pp. 307–308, 2002.
- P. A. Hein, C. Kremser, W. Judmaier et al., “Diffusion-weighted MRI—a new parameter for advanced rectal carcinoma?” RoFo Fortschritte auf dem Gebiet der Rontgenstrahlen und der Bildgebenden Verfahren, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 381–386, 2003.
- M. Lambrecht, C. Deroose, S. Roels et al., “The use of FDG-PET/CT and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging for response prediction before, during and after preoperative chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 956–963, 2010.
- C. Kremser, W. Judmaier, P. Hein, J. Griebel, P. Lukas, and A. de Vries, “Preliminary results on the influence of chemoradiation on apparent diffusion coefficients of primary rectal carcinoma measured by magnetic resonance imaging,” Strahlentherapie und Onkologie, vol. 179, no. 9, pp. 641–649, 2003.
- Y.-S. Sun, X.-P. Zhang, L. Tang et al., “Locally advanced rectal carcinoma treated with preoperative chemotherapy and radiation therapy: preliminary analysis of diffusion-weighted MR imaging for early detection of tumor histopathologic downstaging,” Radiology, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 170–178, 2010.
- P. A. Hein, C. Kremser, W. Judmaier et al., “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging for monitoring diffusion changes in rectal carcinoma during combined, preoperative chemoradiation: preliminary results of a prospective study,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 214–222, 2003.
- B. Barbaro, R. Vitale, V. Valentini et al., “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in monitoring rectal cancer response to neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 594–599, 2011.
- P. Therasse, S. G. Arbuck, E. A. Eisenhauer et al., “New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 205–216, 2000.
- L. M. Wu, J. Zhu, J. Hu, et al., “Is there a benefit in using magnetic resonance imaging in the prediction of preoperative neoadjuvant therapy response in locally advanced rectal cancer?” International Journal of Colorectal Disease. In press.