- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 741476, 7 pages
The Short ITS2 Sequence Serves as an Efficient Taxonomic Sequence Tag in Comparison with the Full-Length ITS
1Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100094, China
2College of Resources Science & Technology, Beijing Normal University, Beijing 100875, China
Received 31 October 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Abdurrahman Saydut
Copyright © 2013 Jianping Han et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. J. Kress, K. J. Wurdack, E. A. Zimmer, L. A. Weigt, and D. H. Janzen, “Use of DNA barcodes to identify flowering plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 23, pp. 8369–8374, 2005.
- M. Hajibabaei, M. A. Smith, D. H. Janzen, J. J. Rodriguez, J. B. Whitfield, and P. D. N. Hebert, “A minimalist barcode can identify a specimen whose DNA is degraded,” Molecular Ecology Notes, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 959–964, 2006.
- D. Rubinoff, S. Cameron, and K. Will, “Are plant DNA barcodes a search for the Holy Grail?” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 2006.
- C.P.W. Group, “A DNA barcode for land plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 31, pp. 12794–12797, 2009.
- H. Yousefzadeh, A. H. Colagar, M. Tabari, A. Sattarian, and M. Assadi, “Utility of ITS region sequence and structure for molecular identification of Tilia species from Hyrcanian forests, Iran,” Plant Systematics and Evolution, vol. 298, no. 5, pp. 947–961, 2012.
- I. Álvarez and J. F. Wendel, “Ribosomal ITS sequences and plant phylogenetic inference,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 417–434, 2003.
- M. E. Mort, J. K. Archibald, C. P. Randle et al., “Inferring phylogeny at low taxonomic levels: utility of rapidly evolving cpDNA and nuclear ITS loci,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 173–183, 2007.
- B. G. Baldwin, M. J. Sanderson, J. M. Porter, M. F. Wojciechowski, C. S. Campbell, and M. J. Donoghue, “The ITS region of nuclear ribosomal DNA: a valuable source of evidence on angiosperm phylogeny,” Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 247–277, 1995.
- A. Quijada, A. Liston, P. Delgado, A. Vázquez-Lobo, and E. R. Alvarez-Buylla, “Variation in the nuclear ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region of pinus rzedowskii revealed by PCR-RFLP,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 96, no. 3-4, pp. 539–544, 1998.
- A. W. Coleman, “Pan-eukaryote ITS2 homologies revealed by RNA secondary structure,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 3322–3329, 2007.
- J. Schultz, S. Maisel, D. Gerlach, T. Müller, and M. Wolf, “A common core of secondary structure of the internal transcribed spacer 2 (ITS2) throughout the Eukaryota,” RNA, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 361–364, 2005.
- A. W. Coleman, “ITS2 is a double-edged tool for eukaryote evolutionary comparisons,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 370–375, 2003.
- S. Chen, H. Yao, J. Han et al., “Validation of the ITS2 region as a novel DNA barcode for identifying medicinal plant species,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 1, Article ID e8613, 2010.
- T. Gao, H. Yao, J. Song et al., “Identification of medicinal plants in the family Fabaceae using a potential DNA barcode ITS2,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 116–121, 2010.
- X. Pang, J. Song, Y. Zhu, C. Xie, and S. Chen, “Using DNA barcoding to identify species within euphorbiaceae,” Planta Medica, vol. 76, no. 15, pp. 1784–1786, 2010.
- X. Pang, J. Song, Y. Zhu, H. Xu, L. Huang, and S. Chen, “Applying plant DNA barcodes for Rosaceae species identification,” Cladistics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 165–170, 2011.
- J. P. Han, L. C. Shi, X. C. Chen, and Y. L. Lin, “Comparison of four DNA barcodes in identifying certain medicinal plants of Lamiaceae,” Journal of Systematics and Evolution, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2012.
- H. Yao, J. Song, C. Liu et al., “Use of ITS2 region as the universal DNA barcode for plants and animals,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13102, 2010.
- D. Z. Li, L. M. Gao, H. T. Li et al., “Comparative analysis of a large dataset indicates that internal transcribed spacer (ITS) should be incorporated into the core barcode for seed plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 49, pp. 19641–19646, 2011.
- B. Merget, C. Koetschan, T. Hackl et al., “The ITS2 database,” Journal of Visualized Experiments, vol. 61 article e3806, 2012.
- T. Müller, N. Philippi, T. Dandekar, J. Schultz, and M. Wolf, “Distinguishing species,” RNA, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1469–1472, 2007.
- A. Keller, T. Schleicher, J. Schultz, T. Müller, T. Dandekar, and M. Wolf, “5.8S–28S rRNA interaction and HMM-based ITS2 annotation,” Gene, vol. 430, no. 1-2, pp. 50–57, 2009.
- T. J. White, “Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics,” in PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and Applications, pp. 315–322, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- C. Sass, D. P. Little, D. W. Stevenson, and C. D. Specht, “DNA barcoding in the Cycadales: testing the potential of proposed barcoding markers for species identification of Cycads,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 11, Article ID e1154, 2007.
- S. J. Chiou, J. H. Yen, C. L. Fang, H. L. Chen, and T. Y. Lin, “Authentication of medicinal herbs using PCR-amplified ITS2 with specific primers,” Planta Medica, vol. 73, no. 13, pp. 1421–1426, 2007.
- W. J. Kress and D. L. Erickson, “A two-locus global DNA barcode for land plants: the coding rbcL gene complements the non-coding trnH-psbA spacer region,” PloS ONE, vol. 2, no. 6, article e508, 2007.
- R. Lahaye, M. van der Bank, D. Bogarin et al., “DNA barcoding the floras of biodiversity hotspots,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 8, pp. 2923–2928, 2008.
- C. P. Meyer and G. Paulay, “DNA barcoding: error rates based on comprehensive sampling,” PLoS Biology, vol. 3, no. 12 article e422, 2005.
- R. Meier, K. Shiyang, G. Vaidya, and P. K. Ng, “DNA barcoding and taxonomy in Diptera: a tale of high intraspecific variability and low identification success,” Systematic Biology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 715–728, 2006.
- A. Keller, F. Förster, T. Müller, T. Dandekar, J. Schultz, and M. Wolf, “Including RNA secondary structures improves accuracy and robustness in reconstruction of phylogenetic trees,” Biology Direct, vol. 5, article 4, 2010.
- H. A. Ross, S. Murugan, and W. L. S. Li, “Testing the reliability of genetic methods of species identification via simulation,” Systematic Biology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 216–230, 2008.
- M. W. Chase, R. S. Cowan, P. M. Hollingsworth et al., “A proposal for a standardised protocol to barcode all land plants,” Taxon, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 295–299, 2007.
- M. A. Buchheim, A. Keller, C. Koetschan, F. Förster, B. Merget, and M. Wolf, “Internal transcribed spacer 2 (nu ITS2 rRNA) sequence-structure phylogenetics: towards an automated reconstruction of the green algal tree of life,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e16931, 2011.
- A. Grajales, C. Aguilar, and J. A. Sánchez, “Phylogenetic reconstruction using secondary structures of Internal Transcribed Spacer 2 (ITS2, rDNA): finding the molecular and morphological gap in Caribbean gorgonian corals,” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 7, article 90, 2007.
- S. M. Markert, T. Müller, C. Koetschan, T. Friedl, and M. Wolf, “‘Y’ Scenedesmus (Chlorophyta, Chlorophyceae): the internal transcribed spacer 2 rRNA secondary structure re-revisited,” Plant Biology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 987–996, 2012.
- A. Mello, C. Napoli, C. Murat, E. Morin, G. Marceddu, and P. Bonfante, “ITS-1 versus ITS-2 pyrosequencing: a comparison of fungal populations in truffle grounds,” Mycologia, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1184–1193, 2011.
- J. Song, L. Shi, D. Li et al., “Extensive pyrosequencing reveals frequent intra genomic variations of internal transcribed spacer regions of nuclear ribosomal DNA,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 8, Article ID e43971, 2012.
- M. Hajibabaei, G. A. C. Singer, E. L. Clare, and P. D. N. Hebert, “Design and applicability of DNA arrays and DNA barcodes in biodiversity monitoring,” BMC Biology, vol. 5, article 24, 2007.
- J. C. Engelmann, S. Rahmann, M. Wolf et al., “Modelling cross-hybridization on phylogenetic DNA microarrays increases the detection power of closely related species,” Molecular Ecology Resources, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 83–93, 2009.
- P. Taberlet, E. Coissac, F. Pompanon et al., “Power and limitations of the chloroplast trnL (UAA) intron for plant DNA barcoding,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 35, no. 3, article e14, 2007.