- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 742545, 9 pages
Environmental Lead Exposure Accelerates Progressive Diabetic Nephropathy in Type II Diabetic Patients
Department of Nephrology and Division of Clinical Toxicology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Medical Center, Chang Gung University and School of Medicine, 199 Tung-Hwa North Road, Taipei 10548, Taiwan
Received 12 November 2012; Accepted 24 January 2013
Academic Editor: Cheng-An J. Lin
Copyright © 2013 Wen-Hung Huang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. H. Yoon, J. H. Lee, J. W. Kim et al., “Epidemic obesity and type 2 diabetes in Asia,” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9548, pp. 1681–1688, 2006.
- National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, International Comparisons, in 2007 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2007.
- US Renal Data System, USRDS 1999 Annual Data Report, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Md, USA, 1999.
- J. A. Staessen, R. R. Lauwerys, J. P. Buchet et al., “Impairment of renal function with increasing blood lead concentrations in the general population,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 327, no. 3, pp. 151–156, 1992.
- M. Payton, H. Hu, D. Sparrow, and S. T. Weiss, “Low-level lead exposure and renal function in the normative aging study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 140, no. 9, pp. 821–829, 1994.
- R. Kim, A. Rotnitzky, D. Sparrow, S. T. Weiss, C. Wager, and H. Hu, “A longitudinal study of low-level lead exposure and impairment of renal function: the normative aging study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 275, no. 15, pp. 1177–1181, 1996.
- J. L. Lin, K. H. Yeh, H. C. Tseng et al., “Urinary N-acetyl-glucosaminidase excretion and environmental lead exposure,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 442–447, 1993.
- D. T. Lin-Tan, J. L. Lin, T. H. Yen, K. H. Chen, and Y. L. Huang, “Long-term outcome of repeated lead chelation therapy in progressive non-diabetic chronic kidney diseases,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 2924–2931, 2007.
- J. L. Lin, D. T. Tan, K. H. Hsu, and C. C. Yu, “Environmental lead exposure and progressive renal insufficiency,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 264–271, 2001.
- C. C. Yu, J. L. Lin, and D. T. Lin-Tan, “Environmental exposure to lead and progression of chronic renal disease: a four-year prospective longitudinal study,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1016–1022, 2004.
- J. L. Lin, D. T. Tan, H. H. Ho, and C. C. Yu, “Environmental lead exposure and urate excretion in the general population,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 563–568, 2002.
- J. L. Lin, D. T. Lin-Tan, K. H. Hsu, and C. C. Yu, “Environmental lead exposure and progression of chronic renal diseases in patients without diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 4, pp. 277–286, 2003.
- S. W. Tsaih, S. Korrick, J. Schwartz et al., “Lead, diabetes, hypertension, and renal function: the normative aging study,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 112, no. 11, pp. 1178–1182, 2004.
- J. L. Lin, D. T. Lin-Tan, C. C. Yu, Y. J. Li, Y. Y. Huang, and K. L. Li, “Environmental exposure to lead and progressive diabetic nephropathy in patients with type II diabetes,” Kidney International, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 2049–2056, 2006.
- A. S. Levey, J. P. Bosch, J. B. Lewis, T. Greene, N. Rogers, and D. Roth, “A more accurate method to estimate glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine: a new prediction equation,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 461–470, 1999.
- T. K. Leung, A. O. Y. Luk, W. Y. So, M. K. W. Lo, and J. C. N. Chan, “Development and validation of equations estimating glomerular filtration rates in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes,” Kidney International, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 729–735, 2010.
- B. O. Burney, R. G. Kalaitzidis, and G. L. Bakris, “Novel therapies of diabetic nephropathy,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 2009.
- B. Isaksson, “Urinary nitrogen output as a validity test in dietary surveys,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 4–5, 1980.
- D. Behringer, P. Craswell, and C. Mohl, “Urinary lead excretion in uremic patients,” Nephron, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 323–329, 1986.
- V. Batuman, “Lead nephropathy, gout, and hypertension,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 305, no. 4, pp. 241–247, 1993.
- M. Loghman-Adham, “Renal effects of environmental and occupational lead exposure,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 928–938, 1997.
- M. Kessler, P. Y. Durand, T. C. Huu et al., “Mobilization of lead from bone in end-stage renal failure patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2731–2733, 1999.
- W. T. Wu, P. J. Tsai, Y. H. Yang, C. Y. Yang, K. F. Cheng, and T. N. Wu, “Health impacts associated with the implementation of a national petrol-lead phase-out program (PLPOP): evidence from Taiwan between 1981 and 2007,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 409, no. 5, pp. 863–867, 2011.
- G. Falq, A. Zeghnoun, M. Pascal et al., “Blood lead levels in the adult population living in France the French Nutrition and Health Survey (ENNS 2006-2007),” Environment International, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 565–571, 2011.
- D. Martin, T. A. Glass, K. Bandeen-Roche, A. C. Todd, W. Shi, and B. S. Schwartz, “Association of blood lead and tibia lead with blood pressure and hypertension in a community sample of older adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 163, no. 5, pp. 467–478, 2006.
- K.-H. Chen, J.-L. Lin, D.-T. Lin-Tan et al., “Effect of chelation therapy on progressive diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes and high-normal body lead burdens,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 530–538, 2012.
- C. Roncal, W. Mu, S. Reungjui et al., “Lead, at low levels, accelerates arteriolopathy and tubulointerstitial injury in chronic kidney disease,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 4, pp. F1391–F1396, 2007.
- B. Rodríguez-Iturbe, R. K. Sindhu, Y. Quiroz, and N. D. Vaziri, “Chronic exposure to low doses of lead results in renal infiltration of immune cells, NF-κB activation, and overexpression of tubulointerstitial angiotensin II,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 7, no. 9-10, pp. 1269–1274, 2005.
- N. D. Vaziri, “Mechanisms of lead-induced hypertension and cardiovascular disease,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 2, pp. H454–H465, 2008.
- Y. Ding, H. C. Gonick, and N. D. Vaziri, “Lead promotes hydroxyl radical generation and lipid peroxidation in cultured aortic endothelial cells,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 552–555, 2000.
- T. S. Nawrot and J. A. Staessen, “Low-level environmental exposure to lead unmasked as silent killer,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 13, pp. 1347–1349, 2006.
- N. Aykin-Burns, E. A. Franklin, and N. Ercal, “Effects of N-acetylcysteine on lead-exposed PC-12 cells,” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 119–123, 2005.
- P. Muntner, J. He, S. Vupputuri, J. Coresh, and V. Batuman, “Blood lead and chronic kidney disease in the general United States population: results from NHANES III,” Kidney International, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1044–1050, 2003.
- A. Navas-Acien, M. Tellez-Plaza, E. Guallar et al., “Blood cadmium and lead and chronic kidney disease in US sdults: a joint analysis,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 170, no. 9, pp. 1156–1164, 2009.
- J. J. Fadrowski, A. Navas-Acien, M. Tellez-Plaza, E. Guallar, V. M. Weaver, and S. L. Furth, “Blood lead level and kidney function in US adolescents: the third national health and nutrition examination survey,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2010.
- F. Barbosa, J. E. Tanus-Santos, R. F. Gerlach, and P. J. Parsons, “A critical review of biomarkers used for monitoring human exposure to lead: advantages, limitations, and future needs,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, no. 12, pp. 1669–1674, 2005.
- A. I. Sánchez-Fructuoso, M. Cano, M. Arroyo, C. Fernández, D. Prats, and A. Barrientos, “Lead mobilization during calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate chelation therapy in treatment of chronic lead poisoning,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2002.