- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 746053, 7 pages
Prescription Surveillance and Polymerase Chain Reaction Testing to Identify Pathogens during Outbreaks of Infection
1Sugiura Clinic, 2-8-3 Imaichi-Kita, Honmachi, Shimane, Izumo 693-0002, Japan
2Infectious Disease Surveillance Center, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Shinjuku, Tokyo 162-8640, Japan
3Shimane Prefectural Central Hospital, Shimane, Izumo 693-8555, Japan
4Shimane University Hospital, Shimane, Izumo 693-8501, Japan
5Kawasaki City Health Institute of Public Health, Kanagawa, Kawasaki 210-0834, Japan
Received 10 November 2012; Accepted 6 January 2013
Academic Editor: Girdhari Lal
Copyright © 2013 Hiroaki Sugiura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. J. Henning, “What is syndromic surveillance?” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 53, pp. 5–11, 2004.
- T. Sugawara, Y. Ohkusa, Y. Ibuka, H. Kawanohara, K. Taniguchi, and N. Okabe, “Real-time prescription surveillance and its application to monitoring seasonal influenza activity in Japan,” Journal of Medical Internet Research, vol. 14, no. 1, p. e14, 2012.
- J. W. Buehler, R. L. Berkelman, D. M. Hartley, and C. J. Peters, “Syndromic surveillance and bioterrorism-related epidemics,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1197–1204, 2003.
- J. W. Buehler, A. Sonricker, M. Paladini, P. Soper, and F. Mostashari, “Syndromic surveillance practice in the United States: findings from a survey of state, territorial, and selected local health departments,” Advances in Disease Surveillance, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1–16, 2008.
- J. D. Cherry, Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 1998.
- “Mycoplasmal pneumonia as of September 2012, Japan,” IASR, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 261–262, 2012.
- C. Koike, T. Nakamura, S. Inui, K. Okuda, C. Nakata, H. Fujimoto, et al., “Macrolide resistance and detection in Mycoplasma pneumoniae at Kansai Medical University Hirakata Hospital,” Kansenshogaku Zasshi, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 652–657, 2011 (Japanese).
- M. Narita, “Utility and limitation of the rapid IgM antibody detection test for the diagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection,” Kansenshogaku Zasshi, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 149–154, 2007 (Japanese).
- T. Fujimoto, T. Okafuji, M. Ito, S. Nukuzuma, M. Chikahira, and O. Nishio, “Evaluation of a bedside immunochromatographic test for detection of adenovirus in respiratory samples, by comparison to virus isolation, PCR, and real-time PCR,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 5489–5492, 2004.
- K. Hamano-Hasegawa, M. Morozumi, E. Nakayama et al., “Comprehensive detection of causative pathogens using real-time PCR to diagnose pediatric community-acquired pneumonia,” Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 424–432, 2008.
- T. Fujimoto, M. Konagaya, M. Enomoto et al., “Novel high-speed real-time PCR method (Hyper-PCR): results from its application to adenovirus diagnosis,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 2010.
- M. Leven, D. Ursi, H. Van Bever, W. Quint, H. G. M. Niesters, and H. Goossens, “Detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae by two polymerase chain reactions and role of M. pneumoniae in acute respiratory tract infections in pediatric patients,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 173, no. 6, pp. 1445–1452, 1996.
- L. Vijgen, E. Moës, E. Keyaerts, S. Li, and M. Van Ranst, “A pancoronavirus RT-PCR assay for detection of all known coronaviruses,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 454, pp. 3–12, 2008.
- H. Katano, M. Kano, T. Nakamura, T. Kanno, H. Asanuma, and T. Sata, “A novel real-time PCR system for simultaneous detection of human viruses in clinical samples from patients with uncertain diagnoses,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 322–330, 2011.
- A. Hu, M. Colella, J. S. Tam, R. Rappaport, and S. M. Cheng, “Simultaneous detection, subgrouping, and quantitation of respiratory syncytial virus A and B by real-time PCR,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 149–154, 2003.
- S. Bellau-Pujol, A. Vabret, L. Legrand et al., “Development of three multiplex RT-PCR assays for the detection of 12 respiratory RNA viruses,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 126, no. 1-2, pp. 53–63, 2005.
- T. Fujimoto, H. Izumi, N. Okabe et al., “Usefulness of real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of echovirus aseptic meningitis using cerebrospinal fluid,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 455–457, 2009.
- D. L. Cooper, G. E. Smith, F. Chinemana et al., “Linking syndromic surveillance with virological self-sampling,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 222–224, 2008.
- S. K. Schindeler, D. J. Muscatello, M. J. Ferson, K. D. Rogers, P. Grant, and T. Churches, “Evaluation of alternative respiratory syndromes for specific syndromic surveillance of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus: a time series analysis,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, article 190, 2009.
- R. Rabadan, N. Calman, and G. Hripcsak, “Next generation syndromic surveillance: molecular epidemiology, electronic health records and the pandemic influenza A, (H1N1) virus,” PLoS Currents, vol. 1, Article ID RRN1012, 2009.
- D. De Florentiis, V. Parodi, A. Orsi, A. Rossi, F. Altomonte, P. Canepa, et al., “Impact of influenza during the post-pandemic season: epidemiological picture from syndromic and virological surveillance,” Journal of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 134–136, 2011.
- B. Winther, “Rhinovirus infections in the upper airway,” Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 79–89, 2011.
- X. Yu, R. Lu, Z. Wang, N. Zhu, W. Wang, D. Julian, et al., “Etiology and clinical characterization of respiratory virus infections in adult patients attending an emergency department in Beijing,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 2, Article ID e32174, 2012.
- M. Morozumi, T. Takahashi, and K. Ubukata, “Macrolide-resistant Mycoplasma pneumoniae: characteristics of isolates and clinical aspects of community-acquired pneumonia,” Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 78–86, 2010.
- T. Ozaki, N. Nishimura, J. Ahn et al., “Utility of a rapid diagnosis kit for Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia in children, and the antimicrobial susceptibility of the isolates,” Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 204–207, 2007.