- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 746858, 8 pages
Hypoxia and Human Genome Stability: Downregulation of BRCA2 Expression in Breast Cancer Cell Lines
1Section of Medical Oncology, Department of Surgical, Oncological and Stomatological Sciences, University of Palermo, 90127 Palermo, Italy
2Phase I-Early Clinical Trials Unit, Oncology Department and Multidisciplinary Oncology Center Antwerp (MOCA), Antwerp University Hospital, 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 21 August 2013
Academic Editor: Dominic Fan
Copyright © 2013 Daniele Fanale et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Desantis, R. Siegel, P. Bandi, and A. Jemal, “Breast cancer statistics, 2011,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 409–418, 2011.
- P. Apostolou and F. Fostira, “Hereditary breast cancer: the era of new susceptibility genes,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 747318, 11 pages, 2013.
- N. Mavaddat, A. C. Antoniou, D. F. Easton, and M. Garcia-Closas, “Genetic susceptibility to breast cancer,” Molecular Oncology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 174–191, 2010.
- C. A. Wilson, L. Ramos, M. R. Villaseñor et al., “Localization of human BRCA1 and its loss in high-grade, non-inherited breast carcinomas,” Nature Genetics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 236–240, 1999.
- V. Birgisdottir, O. A. Stefansson, S. K. Bodvarsdottir, H. Hilmarsdottir, J. G. Jonasson, and J. E. Eyfjord, “Epigenetic silencing and deletion of the BRCA1 gene in sporadic breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 8, no. 4, article R38, 2006.
- C. G. Murphy and M. E. Moynahan, “BRCA gene structure and function in tumor suppression: a repair-centric perspective,” Cancer Journal, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2010.
- M. Jasin, “Homologous repair of DNA damage and tumorigenesis: the BRCA connection,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 58, pp. 8981–8993, 2002.
- R. S. Bindra and P. M. Glazer, “Genetic instability and the tumor microenvironment: towards the concept of microenvironment-induced mutagenesis,” Mutation Research, vol. 569, no. 1-2, pp. 75–85, 2005.
- R. Fan, T. S. Kumaravel, F. Jalali, P. Marrano, J. A. Squire, and R. G. Bristow, “Defective DNA strand break repair after DNA damage in prostate cancer cells: implications for genetic instability and prostate cancer progression,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 23, pp. 8526–8533, 2004.
- M. Koshiji, K. K.-W. To, S. Hammer et al., “HIF-1α induces genetic instability by transcriptionally downregulating MutSα expression,” Molecular Cell, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 793–803, 2005.
- T. Y. Reynolds, S. Rockwell, and P. M. Glazer, “Genetic instability induced by the tumor microenvironment,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 24, pp. 5754–5757, 1996.
- E. M. Hammond, M. J. Dorie, and A. J. Giaccia, “ATR/ATM targets are phosphorylated by ATR in response to hypoxia and ATM in response to reoxygenation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 14, pp. 12207–12213, 2003.
- A. Coquelle, F. Toledo, S. Stern, A. Bieth, and M. Debatisse, “A new role for hypoxia in tumor progression: induction of fragile site triggering genomic rearrangements and formation of complex DMs and HSRs,” Molecular Cell, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 259–265, 1998.
- J. W. Evans, S. B. Chernikova, L. A. Kachnic et al., “Homologous recombination is the principal pathway for the repair of DNA damage induced by tirapazamine in mammalian cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 257–265, 2008.
- G. L. Semenza, “Cancer-stromal cell interactions mediated by hypoxia-inducible factors promote angiogenesis, lymphangiogenesis, and metastasis,” Oncogene, vol. 32, pp. 4057–4063, 2012.
- H. H. W. Chen, W.-C. Su, P.-W. Lin, H.-R. Guo, and W.-Y. Lee, “Hypoxia-inducible factor-1α correlates with MET and metastasis in node-negative breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 167–175, 2007.
- A. Ben Lassoued, N. Beaufils, J. P. Dales, and J. Gabert, “Hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha as prognostic marker,” Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 53–70, 2013.
- M. Nordsmark, S. M. Bentzen, V. Rudat et al., “Prognostic value of tumor oxygenation in 397 head and neck tumors after primary radiation therapy. An international multi-center study,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 18–24, 2005.
- J.-P. Dales, N. Beaufils, M. Silvy et al., “Hypoxia inducible factor 1α gene (HIF-1α) splice variants: potential prognostic biomarkers in breast cancer,” BMC Medicine, vol. 8, article 44, 2010.
- N. Chan, M. Milosevic, and R. G. Bristow, “Tumor hypoxia, DNA repair and prostate cancer regression: new targets and new therapies,” Future Oncology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 329–341, 2007.
- N. Chaudary and R. P. Hill, “Hypoxia and metastasis,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1947–1949, 2007.
- M. Yoshimura, S. Itasaka, H. Harada, and M. Hiraoka, “Microenvironment and radiation therapy,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 685308, 13 pages, 2013.
- P. Van Der Groep, A. Bouter, F. H. Menko, E. Van Der Wall, and P. J. Van Diest, “High frequency of HIF-1α overexpression in BRCA1 related breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 475–480, 2008.
- P. Vaupel, “The role of hypoxia-induced factors in tumor progression,” Oncologist, vol. 9, supplement 5, pp. 10–17, 2004.
- G. L. Semenza, “Hypoxia, clonal selection, and the role of HIF-1 in tumor progression,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 71–103, 2000.
- V. T. Mihaylova, R. S. Bindra, J. Yuan et al., “Decreased expression of the DNA mismatch repair gene Mlh1 under hypoxic stress in mammalian cells,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 3265–3273, 2003.
- R. S. Bindra, S. L. Gibson, A. Meng et al., “Hypoxia-induced down-regulation of BRCA1 expression by E2Fs,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 24, pp. 11597–11604, 2005.
- M. Federico, C. E. Symonds, L. Bagella et al., “R-Roscovitine (Seliciclib) prevents DNA damage-induced cyclin A1 upregulation and hinders non-homologous end-joining (NHEJ) DNA repair,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 9, article 208, 2010.
- L. Gautier, L. Cope, B. M. Bolstad, and R. A. Irizarry, “affy—analysis of Affymetrix GeneChip data at the probe level,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 307–315, 2004.
- R. A. Irizarry, B. Hobbs, F. Collin et al., “Exploration, normalization, and summaries of high density oligonucleotide array probe level data,” Biostatistics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 249–264, 2003.
- G. K. Smyth, “Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments,” Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 3, no. 1, article 3, 2004.
- Y. Benjamini, D. Drai, G. Elmer, N. Kafkafi, and I. Golani, “Controlling the false discovery rate in behavior genetics research,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 125, no. 1-2, pp. 279–284, 2001.
- J. M. Wettenhall, K. M. Simpson, K. Satterley, and G. K. Smyth, “affylmGUI: a graphical user interface for linear modeling of single channel microarray data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 897–899, 2006.
- M. Kanehisa and S. Goto, “KEGG: kyoto encyclopedia of genes and genomes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 27–30, 2000.
- R. Avni, B. Cohen, and M. Neeman, “Hypoxic stress and cancer: imaging the axis of evil in tumor metastasis,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 569–581, 2011.
- P. van der Groep, P. J. van Diest, Y. H. Smolders et al., “HIF-1alpha overexpression in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers,” PLoS One, vol. 8, no. 2, Article ID e56055, 2013.
- E. Favaro, S. Lord, A. L. Harris, and F. M. Buffa, “Gene expression and hypoxia in breast cancer,” Genome Medicine, vol. 3, article 55, no. 8, 2011.
- M. Kunz and S. M. Ibrahim, “Molecular responses to hypoxia in tumor cells,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 2, article 23, 2003.
- A. X. Meng, F. Jalali, A. Cuddihy et al., “Hypoxia down-regulates DNA double strand break repair gene expression in prostate cancer cells,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 168–176, 2005.