- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 748592, 6 pages
Effects of Sheep and Mouse Urine on the Growth Pattern of Leishmania major Promastigotes
1Parasitology Department, Razi Vaccine and Serum Research Institute, P.O. Box 31975-148, Karaj, Alborz, Iran
2Parasitology and Entomology Department, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, P.O. Box 14115-331, Tehran, Iran
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 27 June 2013
Academic Editor: Terry K. Smith
Copyright © 2013 Vahid Nasiri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization-TDR., The TDR Fifteenth Program Report. Research Progress 1999-2000 New and Improved Tools, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- P. Desjeux, “Global control and Leishmania HIV co-infection,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 317–325, 1999.
- TDR News, “WHO/TDR-CTD/HH,” vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 14-15, 1990.
- WHO, “The world health report. Changing history,” 2004.
- T. C. Armstrong and J. L. Patterson, “Cultivation of Leishmania braziliensis in an economical serum-free medium containing human urine,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1030–1032, 1994.
- C. Newman, “Serum-free cell culture-the ethical, scientific and economic choice,” Biomedical Scientist, pp. 941–942, 2003.
- D. Barnes and G. Sato, “Serum-free cell culture: a unifying approach,” Cell, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 649–655, 1980.
- S. A. Ali, J. Iqbal, B. Ahmad, and M. Masoom, “A semisynthetic fetal calf serum-free liquid medium for in vitro cultivation of Leishmania promastigotes,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 163–165, 1998.
- G. Chaudhuri, K. Ghoshal, S. Sen, S. Pal, and A. B. Banerjee, “Nutrition of Leishmania donovani donovani: growth in new semidefined & completely chemically defined media,” The Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 84, pp. 461–468, 1986.
- T. Merlen, D. Sereno, N. Brajon, F. Rostand, and J.-L. Lemesre, “Leishmania spp.: completely defined medium without serum and macromolecules (CDM/LP) for the continuous in vitro cultivation of infective promastigote forms,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 1999.
- J. K. Pal and M. Joshi-Purandare, “Dose-dependent differential effect of hemin on protein synthesis and cell proliferation in Leishmania donovani promastigotes cultured in vitro,” Journal of Biosciences, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 225–231, 2001.
- F. L. Schuster and J. J. Sullivan, “Cultivation of clinically significant hemoflagellates,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 374–389, 2002.
- S. M. Shamsuzzaman, M. Furuya, M. Korenaga, K. Imamura, and Y. Hashiguchi, “Use of urine samples from healthy humans, nephritis patients or other animals as an alternative to foetal calf serum in the culture of Leishmania (L.) donovani in vitro,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 613–620, 1999.
- R. Herman, “Studies of the numbers and morphology of the intracellular form of Leishmania donovani grown in cell culture,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 408–418, 1966.
- W. Trager, “The development of Leishmania donovani in vitro at ; effects of the kind of serum,” The Journal of experimental medicine, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 177–188, 1953.
- V. Nasiri, A. Dalimi, G. H. Habibi, and K. Esmailnia, “Use of chicken serum as a good replacement for the fetal calf serum in cultivation of promastigotes of Leishmania major,” Archives of Razi Institute, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2011.
- M. K. Howard, G. Sayers, and M. A. Miles, “Leishmania donovani metacyclic promastigotes: transformation in vitro, lectin agglutination, complement resistance, and infectivity,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 147–156, 1987.
- S. Singh, D. P. Mohapatra, and R. Sivakumar, “Successful replacement of fotal calf serum with human urine for in vitro culture of Leishmania donovani,” The Journal of Communicable Diseases, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 289–294, 2000.
- M. K. Howard, M. M. Pharoah, F. Ashall, and M. A. Miles, “Human urine stimulates growth of Leishmania in vitro,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 477–479, 1991.
- J. Iqbal, M. Jamshid, B. Ahmed, I. Bukhari, S. Bashir, and M. M. Yasinzai, “Some studies on human urine as promoter for the growth of leishmania in vitro,” Pakistan journal of pharmaceutical sciences, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 152–155, 2006.
- R. L. Berens, R. Brun, and S. M. Krassner, “A simple monophasic medium for axenic culture of hemflagellates,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 360–365, 1976.
- S. Adler, “Leishmania,” Advances in Parasitology, vol. 2, pp. 35–96, 1964.
- K. A. M. Ferreira, P. E. S. Lemos Jr., E. Lages-Silva, L. E. Ramírez, and A. L. Pedrosa, “Human urine stimulates in vitro growth of Trypanosoma cruzi and Trypanosoma rangeli,” Parasitology Research, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 1383–1388, 2007.
- A. J. Mukkada, Energy Metabolism Leishmaniasis, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1977.
- A. J. Mukkada, “Energy metabolism in Leishmania,” in Human Parasitic Disease, K. P. Chang and R. S. Bray, Eds., pp. 49–65, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1985.
- S. M. Krassner and B. Flory, “Proline metabolism in Leishmania donovani promastigotes,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 682–685, 1972.
- A. Warburg, S. Gelman, and J. Deutsch, “Xanthine in urine stimulates growth of Leishmania promastigotes in vitro,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 136–138, 2008.
- N. O. Bathhurst, “The amino acids of sheep and cow urine,” The Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 42, pp. 476–478, 1952.
- A. W. Bristow, D. C. Whitehead, and J. E. Cockburn, “Nitrogenous constituents in the urine of cattle, sheep and goats,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 59, pp. 387–394, 1992.
- G. Hide, A. Gray, C. M. Harrison, and A. Tait, “Identification of an epidermal growth factor receptor homologue in trypanosomes,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 1989.
- W. Trager, “Pteridine requirement of the hemoflagellate Leishmania tarentolae,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 372–375, 1969.
- W. E. Slazyk and F. W. Spierto, “Liquid-chromatographic measurement of biopterin and neopterin in serum and urine,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1364–1368, 1990.
- J. A. Ramos-Vara, B. Ortiz-Santiago, J. Segalès, and R. W. Dunstan, “Cutaneous leishmaniasis in two horses,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 731–734, 1996.
- N. Rolào, M. J. Martins, A. Joào, and L. Campino, “Equine infection with Leishmania in Portugal,” Parasite, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 183–186, 2005.
- L. Solano-Gallego, H. Fernández-Bellon, P. Serra et al., “Cutaneous leishmaniosis in three horses in Spain,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 320–323, 2003.
- N. Muller, M. Welle, L. Lobsiger et al., “Identification of an as yet unknown Leishmania genotype causing equine cutaneous leishmaniasis in Central Europe,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 166, pp. 346–351, 2009.
- L. Lobsiger, N. Müller, T. Schweizer et al., “An autochthonous case of cutaneous bovine leishmaniasis in Switzerland,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 169, no. 3-4, pp. 408–414, 2010.
- N. R. Bhattarai, G. Van Der Auwera, S. Rijal et al., “Domestic animals and epidemiology of visceral leishmaniasis, Nepal,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 231–237, 2010.
- J. J. van der Lugt, J. F. Carlyon, and D. T. de Waal, “Cutaneous leishmaniasis in a sheep,” Journal of the South African Veterinary Association, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 74–77, 1992.
- A. M. Allahverdiyev, M. Bagirova, S. Elcicek, R. C. Koc, and O. N. Oztel, “Effect of human urine on cell cycle and infectivity of Leismania species promastigotes in vitro,” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 639–643, 2011.
- V. Nasiri, A. Dalimi, and F. Ghaffarifar, “Use of chicken (Gallus gallus) serum as a costly replacement for the fetal calf serum in cultivation of promastigotes of Leishmania infantum,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 169–173, 2013.