- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 749240, 7 pages
HTCC-Modified Nanoclay for Tissue Engineering Applications: A Synergistic Cell Growth and Antibacterial Efficiency
1Department of Chemical Engineering, Islamic Azad University, Birjand Branch, P.O. Box 97178-131, Birjand, Iran
2Textile Engineering Department, Yazd University, P.O. Box 89195-741, Yazd, Iran
3Iran Polymer and Petrochemical Institute (IPPI), P.O. Box 14965-115, Tehran, Iran
Received 26 April 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Andrea Scribante
Copyright © 2013 Majid Aliabadi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Y. Hernández-Pedro, E. Rangel-López, R. Magaña-Maldonado et al., “Application of nanoparticles on diagnosis and therapy in gliomas,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 351031, 20 pages, 2013.
- Z. G. Peng, K. Hidajat, and M. S. Uddin, “Adsorption and desorption of lysozyme on nano-sized magnetic particles and its conformational changes,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 35, no. 3-4, pp. 169–174, 2004.
- S. Hussain, J. A. J. Vanoirbeek, S. Haenen et al., “Prior lung inflammation impacts on body distribution of gold nanoparticles,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 923475, 6 pages, 2013.
- D. Shahbazi-Gahrouei, M. Abdolahi, S. H. Zarkesh-Esfahani, S. Laurent, C. Sermeus, and C. Gruettner, “Functionalized magnetic nanoparticles for the detection and quantitative analysis of cell surface antigen,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 349408, 9 pages, 2013.
- L. A. Smith and P. X. Ma, “Nano-fibrous scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 125–131, 2004.
- F. Rosso, G. Marino, A. Grimaldi et al., “Vitronectin absorbed on nanoparticles mediate cell viability/proliferation and uptake by 3T3 Swiss albino mouse fibroblasts: in vitro study,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 539348, 10 pages, 2013.
- V. Olivier, N. Faucheux, and P. Hardouin, “Biomaterial challenges and approaches to stem cell use in bone reconstructive surgery,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 9, no. 18, pp. 803–811, 2004.
- R. Dastjerdi and M. Montazer, “A review on the application of inorganic nano-structured materials in the modification of textiles: focus on anti-microbial properties,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 5–18, 2010.
- B. Baghaei, S. H. Jafari, H. A. Khonakdar, I. Rezaeian, L. As'Habi, and S. Ahmadian, “Interfacially compatibilized LDPE/POE blends reinforced with nanoclay: investigation of morphology, rheology and dynamic mechanical properties,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 255–270, 2009.
- K. G. Gatos, N. S. Sawanis, A. A. Apostolov, R. Thomann, and J. Karger-Kocsis, “Nanocomposite formation in hydrogenated nitrile rubber (HNBR)/organo-montmorillonite as a function of the intercalant type,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 289, no. 12, pp. 1079–1086, 2004.
- J. H. Lee, T. G. Park, H. S. Park et al., “Thermal and mechanical characteristics of poly(L-lactic acid) nanocomposite scaffold,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 2773–2778, 2003.
- T. Agag, T. Koga, and T. Takeichi, “Studies on thermal and mechanical properties of polyimide-clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 3399–3408, 2001.
- S. Sinha Ray and M. Okamoto, “Polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites: a review from preparation to processing,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1539–1641, 2003.
- M. Alexandre, G. Beyer, C. Henrist et al., ““One-pot” preparation of polymer/clay nanocomposites starting from Na+ montmorillonite. 1. Melt intercalation of ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 3830–3832, 2001.
- W. Zhang, Y. Liang, W. Luo, and Y. Fang, “Effects of clay-modifying agents on the morphology and properties of poly(methyl methacrylate)/clay nanocomposites synthesized via γ-ray irradiation polymerization,” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, vol. 41, no. 21, pp. 3218–3226, 2003.
- A. Pérez-Santano, R. Trujillano, C. Belver, A. Gil, and M. A. Vicente, “Effect of the intercalation conditions of a montmorillonite with octadecylamine,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 284, no. 1, pp. 239–244, 2005.
- S. K. Sharma and S. K. Nayak, “Surface modified clay/polypropylene (PP) nanocomposites: effect on physico-mechanical, thermal and morphological properties,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 132–138, 2009.
- F.-H. Lin, C.-H. Chen, W. T. K. Cheng, and T.-F. Kuo, “Modified montmorillonite as vector for gene delivery,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 17, pp. 3333–3338, 2006.
- W. Chen, Y. Liu, H. S. Courtney et al., “In vitro anti-bacterial and biological properties of magnetron co-sputtered silver-containing hydroxyapatite coating,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5512–5517, 2006.
- L. Zhao, B. Zhu, Y. Jia, W. Hou, and C. Su, “Preparation of biocompatible carboxymethyl chitosan nanoparticles for delivery of antibiotic drug,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 236469, 7 pages, 2013.
- Q. Gan and T. Wang, “Chitosan nanoparticle as protein delivery carrier-Systematic examination of fabrication conditions for efficient loading and release,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2007.
- A. Bava, F. Cappellini, E. Pedretti, et al., “Heparin and carboxymethylchitosan metal nanoparticles: an evaluation of their cytotoxicity,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 314091, 10 pages, 2013.
- S.-H. Lim and S. M. Hudson, “Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of a water-soluble chitosan derivative with a fiber-reactive group,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 339, no. 2, pp. 313–319, 2004.
- Y. Bae, N. Nishiyama, S. Fukushima, H. Koyama, M. Yasuhiro, and K. Kataoka, “Preparation and biological characterization of polymeric micelle drug carriers with intracellular pH-triggered drug release property: tumor permeability, controlled subcellular drug distribution, and enhanced in vivo antitumor efficacy,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 122–130, 2005.
- L. Mivehi, S. H. Bahrami, and R. M. A. Malek, “Properties of polyacrylonitrile-N-(2-hydroxy) propyl-3-trimethylammonium chitosan chloride blend films and fibers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 545–554, 2008.
- K. Kabiri, I. Mirzadeh, and M. J. Zohuriaan, “Highly rapid preparation of a bio-modified nanoclay with chitosan,” Iranian Polymer Journal, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 147–151, 2007.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. Montazer, and S. Shahsavan, “A new method to stabilize nanoparticles on textile surfaces,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 345, no. 1–3, pp. 202–210, 2009.
- M. Darder, M. Colilla, and E. Ruiz-Hitzky, “Biopolymer-clay nanocomposites based on chitosan intercalated in montmorillonite,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 15, no. 20, pp. 3774–3780, 2003.
- K. H. Wang, M. H. Choi, C. M. Koo, Y. S. Choi, and I. J. Chung, “Synthesis and characterization of maleated polyethylene/clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 24, pp. 9819–9826, 2001.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. R. M. Mojtahedi, A. M. Shoshtari, A. Khosroshahi, and A. J. Moayed, “Fiber to fabric processability of silver/zinc-loaded nanocomposite yarns,” Textile Research Journal, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 1099–1107, 2009.
- K. B. Narayanan and N. Sakthivel, “Biological synthesis of metal nanoparticles by microbes,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 156, no. 1-2, pp. 1–13, 2010.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. R. M. Mojtahedi, and A. M. Shoshtari, “Investigating the effect of various blend ratios of prepared masterbatch containing Ag/TiO2 nanocomposite on the properties of bioactive continuous filament yarns,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 727–734, 2008.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, M. C. Chifiriuc, A. Costescu, P. Le Coustumer, and D. Predoi, “Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of silver-doped hydroxyapatite nanoparticles,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 916218, 10 pages, 2013.
- R. Dastjerdi and V. Babaahmadi, “Size and geometry controlled synthesizing nano-rods via developing a novel in situ polyol process,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 386, no. 1–3, pp. 45–53, 2011.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. R. M. Mojtahedi, and N. Heidari, “Developing chromic dyeable PET nanocomposites: the dye absorption and complex formation mechanisms,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2012.
- E. Huerta-García, A. Montiél-Dávalos, E. Alfaro-Moreno, G. Gutiérrez-Iglesias, and R. López-Marure, “Dehydroepiandrosterone protects endothelial cells against inflammatory events induced by urban particulate matter and titanium dioxide nanoparticles,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 382058, 7 pages, 2013.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. Montazer, and S. Shahsavan, “A novel technique for producing durable multifunctional textiles using nanocomposite coating,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 32–41, 2010.
- A. Di Paola, G. Cufalo, M. Addamo et al., “Photocatalytic activity of nanocrystalline TiO2 (brookite, rutile and brookite-based) powders prepared by thermohydrolysis of TiCl4 in aqueous chloride solutions,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 317, no. 1–3, pp. 366–376, 2008.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. R. M. Mojtahedi, A. M. Shoshtari, and A. Khosroshahi, “Investigating the production and properties of Ag/TiO2/PP antibacterial nanocomposite filament yarns,” Journal of the Textile Institute, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 204–213, 2010.
- X. Jiang, L. Yang, P. Liu, X. Li, and J. Shen, “The photocatalytic and antibacterial activities of neodymium and iodine doped TiO2 nanoparticles,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 2010.
- R. Dastjerdi and M. Montazer, “Nano-colloidal functionalization of textiles based on polysiloxane as a novel photo-catalyst assistant: processing design,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 381–388, 2011.
- G. Rajagopal, S. Maruthamuthu, S. Mohanan, and N. Palaniswamy, “Biocidal effects of photocatalytic semiconductor TiO2,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 2006.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. R. M. Mojtahedi, and A. M. Shoshtari, “Processing and properties of nanocomposite filament yarns with various filler concentrations from two different modification methods,” Macromolecular Symposia, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. 154–165, 2008.
- A. G. Lenz, E. Karg, E. Brendel, et al., “Inflammatory and oxidative stress responses of an alveolar epithelial cell line to airborne zinc oxide nanoparticles at the air-liquid interface: a comparison with conventional, submerged cell-culture conditions,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 652632, 12 pages, 2013.
- M. A. Kanjwal, N. A. M. Barakat, F. A. Sheikh, S. J. Park, and H. Y. Kim, “Photocatalytic activity of ZnO-TiO2 hierarchical nanostructure prepared by combined electrospinning and hydrothermal techniques,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 233–240, 2010.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. Montazer, T. Stegmaier, and M. B. Moghadam, “A smart dynamic self-induced orientable multiple size nano-roughness with amphiphilic feature as a stain-repellent hydrophilic surface,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 280–290, 2012.
- C. W. M. Yuen, S. K. A. Ku, Y. Li, Y. F. Cheng, C. W. Kan, and P. S. R. Choi, “Improvement of wrinkle-resistant treatment by nanotechnology,” Journal of the Textile Institute, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 173–180, 2009.
- R. Dastjerdi, M. R. M. Mojtahedi, and A. M. Shoshtari, “Comparing the effect of three processing methods for modification of filament yarns with inorganic nanocomposite filler and their bioactivity against staphylococcus aureus,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 378–387, 2009.
- J. G. Steele, B. A. Dalton, G. Johnson, and P. A. Underwood, “Polystyrene chemistry affects vitronectin activity: an explanation for cell attachment to tissue culture polystyrene but not to unmodified polystyrene,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 927–940, 1993.