- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 753298, 8 pages
Do Fallers and Nonfallers Equally Benefit from Balance Specific Exercise Program? A Pilot Study
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ljubljana, Zdravstvena pot 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Elizabeta B. Mukaetova-Ladinska
Copyright © 2013 Darja Rugelj et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Lajoie and S. P. Gallagher, “Predicting falls within the elderly community: comparison of postural sway, reaction time, the Berg balance scale and the Activities-specific Balance Confidence (ABC) scale for comparing fallers and non-fallers,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 11–26, 2004.
- W. P. Berg, H. M. Alessio, E. M. Mills, and C. Tong, “Circumstances and consequences of falls in independent community-dwelling older adults,” Age and Ageing, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 261–268, 1997.
- A. Zijlstra, T. Ufkes, D. A. Skelton, L. Lundin-Olsson, and W. Zijlstra, “Do dual tasks have an added value over single tasks for balance assessment in fall prevention programs? A mini-review,” Gerontology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 40–49, 2008.
- “IVZ: Hospital services given for injuries and poisonings,” in Health Statistic Yearbook, pp. 483–512, Inštitut za varovanje zdravja Republike Slovenije, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2010.
- A. Huntzinger, “AGS releases guideline for prevention of falls in older persons,” American Family Physician, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 81–82, 2011.
- M. E. Tinetti, “Preventing falls in elderly persons,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 1, pp. 42–49, 2003.
- T. E. Howe, L. Rochester, A. Jackson, P. M. Banks, and V. A. Blair, “Exercise for improving balance in older people,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD004963, 2007.
- T. E. Shubert, “Evidence-based exercise prescription for balance and falls prevention: a current review of the literature,” Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 100–108, 2011.
- D. Rugelj, “The effect of functional balance training in frail nursing home residents,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 192–197, 2010.
- U. Granacher, M. Gruber, and A. Gollhofer, “The impact of sensorimotor training on postural control in elderly men,” Deutsche Zeitschrift fur Sportmedizin, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 387–393, 2009.
- A. Halvarsson, E. Olsson, E. Farén, A. Pettersson, and A. Ståhle, “Effects of new, individually adjusted, progressive balance group training for elderly people with fear of falling and tend to fall: a randomized controlled trial,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1021–1031, 2011.
- D. Rugelj, M. Tomšič, and F. Sevšek, “Effectiveness of multi-component balance specific training on active community-dwelling elderly,” HealthMed, vol. 6, pp. 3856–3865, 2012.
- W. Dite and V. A. Temple, “A clinical test of stepping and change of direction to identify multiple falling older adults,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1566–1571, 2002.
- A. Shumway-Cook, S. Brauer, and M. Woollacott, “Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the timed up and go test,” Physical Therapy, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 896–903, 2000.
- I. Melzer, N. Benjuya, and J. Kaplanski, “Postural stability in the elderly: a comparison between fallers and non-fallers,” Age and Ageing, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 602–607, 2004.
- J. L. Kelsey, E. Procter-Gray, S. D. Berry et al., “Reevaluating the implications of recurrent falls in older adults: location changes the inference,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 517–524, 2012.
- M. E. Chamberlin, B. D. Fulwider, S. L. Sanders, and J. M. Medeiros, “Does fear of falling influence spatial and temporal gait parameters in elderly persons beyond changes associated with normal aging?” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1163–1167, 2005.
- C. Toulotte, A. Thevenon, E. Watelain, and C. Fabre, “Identification of healthy elderly fallers and non-fallers by gait analysis under dual-task conditions,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 269–276, 2006.
- S. R. Lord, R. D. Clark, and I. W. Webster, “Physiological factors associated with falls in an elderly population,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1194–1200, 1991.
- K. Berg, S. Wood-Dauphinee, J. I. Williams, and D. Gayton, “Measuring balance in the elderly: preliminary development of an instrument,” Physiotherapy Canada, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 304–311, 1989.
- K. O. Berg, S. L. Wood-Dauphinee, J. I. Williams, and B. Maki, “Measuring balance in the elderly: validation of an instrument,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 83, no. 2, supplement, pp. S7–S11, 1992.
- A. S. Buchman, P. A. Boyle, R. S. Wilson, J. L. Bienias, and D. A. Bennett, “Physical activity and motor decline in older persons,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 354–362, 2007.
- T. M. Steffen, T. A. Hacker, and L. Mollinger, “Age- and gender-related test performance in community-dwelling elderly people: six-minute walk test, berg balance scale, timed up & go test, and gait speeds,” Physical Therapy, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 128–137, 2002.
- A. Shumway-Cook and F. B. Horak, “Assessing the influence of sensory interaction on balance. Suggestion from the field,” Physical Therapy, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1548–1550, 1986.
- F. Sevšek, “Stabilometrija V 1.0. Ljubljana: Visoka šola za zdravstvo,” 2009, http://manus.zf.uni-lj.si/~sevsekf/Programi/Stabilometrija. (Slovenian).
- D. Rugelj and F. Sevšek, “The effect of load mass and its placement on postural sway,” Applied Ergonomics, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 860–866, 2011.
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A.-G. Lang, and A. Buchner, “G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences,” Behavior Research Methods, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 175–191, 2007.
- G. Melvill Jones, “Posture,” in Principles of Neural Science, E. R. Kandel, J. H. Schwartz, and T. M. Jessell, Eds., pp. 16–31, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- G. Wu and J.-H. Chiang, “The significance of somatosensory stimulations to the human foot in the control of postural reflexes,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 163–169, 1997.
- F. B. Horak and F. Hlavacka, “Somatosensory loss increases vestibulospinal sensitivity,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 575–585, 2001.
- K. P. Westlake and E. G. Culham, “Sensory-specific balance training in older adults: effect on proprioceptive reintegration and cognitive demands,” Physical Therapy, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 1274–1283, 2007.
- F. B. Horak, A. Mirka, and L. Shupert, “The role of peripheral vestibular disorders in postural dyscontrol in the elderly,” in The Development of Posture and Gait: Across the Lifespan, M. H. Wollacott and A. Shumway-Cook, Eds., pp. 253–279, University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, SC, USA, 1989.
- L. D. Gillespie, M. C. Robertson, W. J. Gillespie et al., “Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD007146, 2009.
- I. Melzer, I. Kurz, and L. I. E. Oddsson, “A retrospective analysis of balance control parameters in elderly fallers and non-fallers,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 984–988, 2010.
- S. R. Lord, J. A. Ward, P. Williams, and K. J. Anstey, “Physiological factors associated with falls in older community-dwelling women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1110–1117, 1994.
- V. Weerdesteyn, H. Rijken, A. C. H. Geurts, B. C. M. Smits-Engelsman, T. Mulder, and J. Duysens, “A five-week exercise program can reduce falls and improve obstacle avoidance in the elderly,” Gerontology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 131–141, 2006.
- S. Clary, C. Barnes, D. Bemben, A. Knehans, and M. Bemben, “Effects of ballates, step aerobics, and walking on balance in women aged 50-75 years,” Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 390–399, 2006.
- D. J. Goble, J. P. Coxon, N. Wenderoth, A. Van Impe, and S. P. Swinnen, “Proprioceptive sensibility in the elderly: degeneration, functional consequences and plastic-adaptive processes,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 271–278, 2009.
- G. S. Waddington and R. D. Adams, “The effect of a 5-week wobble-board exercise intervention on ability to discriminate different degrees of ankle inversion, before and after wearing the shoes: a study in healthy elderly,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 573–576, 2004.
- B. K. Schilling, M. J. Falvo, R. E. Karlage, L. W. Weiss, C. A. Lohnes, and L. Z. F. Chiu, “Effects of unstable surface training on measures of balance in older adults,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1211–1216, 2009.
- K. S. Rosengren, E. McAuley, and S. L. Mihalko, “Gait adjustments in older adults: activity and efficacy influences,” Psychology and Aging, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 375–386, 1998.
- American College of Sports Medicine, ACSMS's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 6th edition, 2000.
- U. Halsband and R. K. Lange, “Motor learning in man: a review of functional and clinical studies,” Journal of Physiology Paris, vol. 99, no. 4-6, pp. 414–424, 2006.
- E. Faugloire, B. G. Bardy, and T. A. Stoffregen, “Dynamics of learning new postural patterns: influence on preexisting spontaneous behaviors,” Journal of Motor Behavior, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 299–312, 2006.