- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 758341, 7 pages
Silencing of Entamoeba histolytica Glucosamine 6-Phosphate Isomerase by RNA Interference Inhibits the Formation of Cyst-Like Structures
Departamento de Inmunología, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, A.P. 70228, Mexico City, DF, Mexico
Received 10 August 2012; Revised 11 November 2012; Accepted 20 November 2012
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2013 Hugo Aguilar-Díaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “Geneva, Switzerland. Weekly Epidemiological Record,” Amoebiasis from, vol. 72, pp. 97–100, 4 April 1997.
- E. W. Mc Connachie, “Studies on Entamoeba invadens Rodhain, 1934, in vitro and its relationship to some other species of Entamoeba,” Parasitology, vol. 45, no. 3-4, pp. 452–481, 1955.
- H. Aguilar-Díaz, M. Díaz-Gallardo, J. P. Laclette, and J. C. Carrero, “In vitro induction of Entamoeba histolytica cyst-like structures from trophozoites,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 4, no. 2, article e607, 2010.
- J. Aguirre, M. Ríos-Momberg, D. Hewitt, and W. Hansberg, “Reactive oxygen species and development in microbial eukaryotes,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 111–118, 2005.
- D. Eichinger, “Encystation of entamoeba parasites,” BioEssays, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 633–639, 1997.
- D. Eichinger, “Encystation in parasitic protozoa,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 421–426, 2001.
- S. Said-Fernández, E. Campos-Góngora, F. González-Salazar, H. G. Martínez-Rodríguez, J. Vargas-Villarreal, and J. M. Viader-Salvadó, “Mg2+, Mn2+, and Co2+ stimulate Entamoeba histolytica to produce chitin-like material,” The Journal of Parasitology, vol. 87, pp. 919–923, 2001.
- H. Aguilar-Díaz, J. C. Carrero, R. Argüello-García, J. P. Laclette, and J. Morales-Montor, “Cyst and encystment in protozoan parasites: optimal targets for new life-cycle interrupting strategies?” Trends in Parasitology, vol. 27, pp. 450–458, 2011.
- E. L. Jarroll, P. T. Macechko, P. A. Steimle et al., “Regulation of carbohydrate metabolism during giardia encystment,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 22–26, 2001.
- A. B. Lopez, M. T. Hossain, and H. van Keulen, “Giardia intestinalis glucosamine 6-phosphate isomerase: the key enzyme to encystment appears to be controlled by ubiquitin attachment,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 134–136, 2002.
- A. Fire, S. Xu, M. K. Montgomery, S. A. Kostas, S. E. Driver, and C. C. Mello, “Potent and specific genetic interference by double-stranded RNA in caenorhabditis elegans,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6669, pp. 806–811, 1998.
- C. D. Novina and P. A. Sharp, “The RNAi revolution,” Nature, vol. 430, no. 6996, pp. 161–164, 2004.
- R. H. A. Plasterk, “RNA silencing: the Genome's immune system,” Science, vol. 296, no. 5571, pp. 1263–1265, 2002.
- P. D. Zamore, T. Tuschl, P. A. Sharp, and D. P. Bartel, “RNAi: double-stranded RNA directs the ATP-dependent cleavage of mRNA at 21 to 23 nucleotide intervals,” Cell, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 25–33, 2000.
- E. Bernstein, A. A. Caudy, S. M. Hammond, and G. J. Hannon, “Role for a bidentate ribonuclease in the initiation step of RNA interference,” Nature, vol. 409, no. 6818, pp. 363–366, 2001.
- S. M. Elbashir, W. Lendeckel, and T. Tuschl, “RNA interference is mediated by 21- and 22-nucleotide RNAs,” Genes and Development, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 188–200, 2001.
- C. F. Solis and N. Guillén, “Silencing genes by RNA interference in the protozoan parasite Entamoeba histolytica,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 442, pp. 113–128, 2008.
- H. Zhang, J. M. Pompey, and U. Singh, “RNA interference in Entamoeba histolytica: implications for parasite biology and gene silencing,” Future Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 103–117, 2011.
- L. S. Diamond, D. R. Harlow, and C. C. Cunnick, “A new medium for the axenic cultivation of Entamoeba histolytica and other Entamoeba,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 431–432, 1978.
- D. G. Schupp, M. M. Januschka, L. A. F. Sherlock et al., “Production of viable Giardia cysts in vitro: determination by fluorogenic dye staining, excystation, and animal infectivity in the mouse and mongolian gerbil,” Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1988.
- S. K. Ghosh, J. Field, M. Frisardi et al., “Chitinase secretion by encysting Entamoeba invadens and transfected Entamoeba histolytica trophozoites: localization of secretory vesicles, endoplasmic reticulum, and Golgi apparatus,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 3073–3081, 1999.
- L. Vayssié, M. Vargas, C. Weber, and N. Guillén, “Double-stranded RNA mediates homology-dependant gene silencing of γ-tubulin in the human parasite Entamoeba histolytica,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2004.
- G. Kaur and A. Lohia, “Inhibition of gene expression with double strand RNA interference in Entamoeba histolytica,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 320, no. 4, pp. 1118–1122, 2004.
- H. Van Keulen, P. A. Steimle, D. A. Bulik, R. K. Borowiak, and E. L. Jarroll, “Cloning of two putative Giardia lamblia glucosamine 6-phosphate isomerase genes only one of which is transcriptionally activated during encystment,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 637–642, 1998.
- R. Bracha, Y. Nuchamowitz, and D. Mirelman, “Transcriptional silencing of an amoebapore gene in Entamoeba histolytica: molecular analysis and effect on pathogenicity,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 295–305, 2003.
- M. Anbar, R. Bracha, Y. Nuchamowitz, Y. Li, A. Florentin, and D. Mirelman, “Involvement of a short interspersed element in epigenetic transcriptional silencing of the amoebapore gene in Entamoeba histolytica,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 1775–1784, 2005.
- R. C. MacFarlane and U. Singh, “Loss of dsRNA-based gene silencing in Entamoeba histolytica: implications for approaches to genetic analysis,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 296–300, 2008.
- H. Irmer, I. Hennings, I. Bruchhaus, and E. Tannich, “tRNA gene sequences are required for transcriptional silencing in Entamoeba histolytica,” Eukaryotic Cell, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 306–314, 2010.
- B. Loftus, I. Anderson, R. Davies et al., “The genome of the protist parasite Entamoeba histolytica,” Nature, vol. 433, no. 7028, pp. 865–868, 2005.