- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 759057, 11 pages
Molecular Imaging of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Xenografts with Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Targeted Affibody Probes
1Department of Digestive, China-Japan Union Hospital, Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin 130033, China
2Department of Radiology and Bio-X Program, Molecular Imaging Program at Stanford (MIPS), Canary Center at Stanford for Cancer Early Detection, 1201 Welch Road, Lucas Center, P095, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
3Department of Surgery, Asian Liver Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Received 12 March 2013; Accepted 22 March 2013
Academic Editor: Hong Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Ping Zhao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Llovet, A. Burroughs, and J. Bruix, “Hepatocellular carcinoma,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9399, pp. 1907–1917, 2003.
- K. Okuda, “Hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 225–237, 2000.
- D. M. Parkin, P. Pisani, and J. Ferlay, “Global cancer statistics,” Ca: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 33–64, 1999.
- J. Bruix and M. Sherman, “Management of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1208–1236, 2005.
- M. Capurro, I. R. Wanless, M. Sherman et al., “Glypican-3: a novel serum and histochemical marker for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2003.
- N. N. Massarweh, J. O. Park, F. Farjah et al., “Trends in the utilization and impact of radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 210, no. 4, pp. 441–448, 2010.
- M. A. Khan, C. S. Combs, E. M. Brunt et al., “Positron emission tomography scanning in the evaluation of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 792–797, 2000.
- J. W. Park, H. K. Ji, K. K. Seok et al., “A prospective evaluation of 18F-FDG and 11C-acetate PET/CT for detection of primary and metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 1912–1921, 2008.
- M. Yun, S. H. Bang, W. K. Jae, Y. P. Jun, S. K. Kyoung, and D. L. Jong, “The importance of acetyl coenzyme A synthetase for 11C-acetate uptake and cell survival in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1222–1228, 2009.
- M. Yoshimoto, A. Waki, Y. Yonekura et al., “Characterization of acetate metabolism in tumor cells in relation to cell proliferation: acetate metabolism in tumor cells,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 117–122, 2001.
- M. Daveau, M. Scotte, A. François et al., “Hepatocyte growth factor, transforming growth factor α, and their receptors as combined markers of prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 130–141, 2003.
- H. Jiang, H. Wang, Z. Tan et al., “Growth suppression of human hepatocellular carcinoma xenografts by a monoclonal antibody CH12 directed to epidermal growth factor receptor variant III,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 7, pp. 5913–5920, 2011.
- K. de Bruin, N. Ruthardt, K. von Gersdorff et al., “Cellular dynamics of EGF receptor-targeted synthetic viruses,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1297–1305, 2007.
- R. S. Herbst, “Review of epidermal growth factor receptor biology,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 21–26, 2004.
- J. Lupberger, M. B. Zeisel, F. Xiao et al., “EGFR and EphA2 are host factors for hepatitis C virus entry and possible targets for antiviral therapy,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 589–595, 2011.
- M. R. Schneider and E. Wolf, “The epidermal growth factor receptor ligands at a glance,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 218, no. 3, pp. 460–466, 2009.
- J. Mendelsohn and J. Baselga, “Status of epidermal growth factor receptor antagonists in the biology and treatment of cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 2787–2799, 2003.
- J. Schlessinger, “Cell signaling by receptor tyrosine kinases,” Cell, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 211–225, 2000.
- F. X. Real, W. J. Rettig, and P. G. Chesa, “Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor in human cultured cells and tissues: relationship to cell lineage and stage of differentiation,” Cancer Research, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 4726–4731, 1986.
- A. F. Buckley, L. J. Burgart, V. Sahai, and S. Kakar, “Epidermal growth factor receptor expression and gene copy number in conventional hepatocellular carcinoma,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 245–251, 2008.
- L. A. DeCicco, J. Kong, and D. P. Ringer, “Carcinogen-induced alteration in liver epidermal growth factor receptor distribution during the promotion stage of hepatocarcinogenesis in rat,” Cancer Letters, vol. 111, no. 1-2, pp. 149–156, 1997.
- S. Kira, T. Nakanishi, S. Suemori, M. Kitamoto, Y. Watanabe, and G. Kajiyama, “Expression of transforming growth factor alpha and epidermal growth factor receptor in human hepatocellular carcinoma,” Liver, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 177–182, 1997.
- E. Schiffer, C. Housset, W. Cacheux et al., “Gefitinib, an EGFR inhibitor, prevents hepatocellular carcinoma development in the rat liver with cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 307–314, 2005.
- M. Friedman, E. Nordberg, I. Höidén-Guthenberg et al., “Phage display selection of Affibody molecules with specific binding to the extracellular domain of the epidermal growth factor receptor,” Protein Engineering, Design and Selection, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 189–199, 2007.
- J. Gao, K. Chen, Z. Miao et al., “Affibody-based nanoprobes for HER2-expressing cell and tumor imaging,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 2141–2148, 2011.
- S. Hoppmann, Z. Miao, S. Liu et al., “Radiolabeled affibody-albumin bioconjugates for HER2-positive cancer targeting,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 413–421, 2011.
- Z. Miao, G. Ren, H. Liu, S. Qi, S. Wu, and Z. Cheng, “PET of EGFR expression with an 18F-labeled affibody molecule,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 1110–1118, 2012.
- S. Qi, Z. Miao, H. Liu, Y. Xu, Y. Feng, and Z. Cheng, “Evaluation of four affibody-based near-infrared fluorescent probes for optical imaging of epidermal growth factor receptor positive tumors,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1149–1156, 2012.
- M. Yang, K. Cheng, S. Qi, et al., “Affibody modified and radiolabeled gold-iron oxide hetero-nanostructures for tumor PET, optical and MR imaging,” Biomaterials, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2796–2806, 2013.
- K. Nord, E. Gunneriusson, J. Ringdahl, S. Stahl, M. Uhlén, and P. A. Nygren, “Binding proteins selected from combinatorial libraries of an α-helical bacterial receptor domain,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 772–777, 1997.
- M. Friedman, A. Orlova, E. Johansson et al., “Directed evolution to low nanomolar affinity of a tumor-targeting epidermal growth factor receptor-binding affibody molecule,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 376, no. 5, pp. 1388–1402, 2008.
- Z. Miao, J. Levi, and Z. Cheng, “Protein scaffold-based molecular probes for cancer molecular imaging,” Amino Acids, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1037–1047, 2011.
- Z. Cheng, O. P. De Jesus, M. Namavari et al., “Small-animal PET imaging of human epidermal growth factor receptor type 2 expression with site-specific 18F-labeled protein scaffold molecules,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 804–813, 2008.
- C. Sogawa, A. B. Tsuji, C. Yoshida, et al., “Novel human monoclonal antibody against epidermal growth factor receptor as an imaging probe for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 719–725, 2012.
- H. Maeda, J. Wu, T. Sawa, Y. Matsumura, and K. Hori, “Tumor vascular permeability and the EPR effect in macromolecular therapeutics: a review,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 271–284, 2000.
- V. Tolmachev, A. Orlova, R. Pehrson et al., “Radionuclide therapy of HER2-positive microxenografts using a 177Lu-labeled HER2-specific affibody molecule,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 2773–2782, 2007.
- A. Orlova, J. Feldwisch, L. Abrahmsén, and V. Tolmachev, “Update: affibody molecules for molecular imaging and therapy for cancer,” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 573–584, 2007.
- Z. Miao, G. Ren, H. Liu, L. Jiang, and Z. Cheng, “Small-animal PET imaging of human epidermal growth factor receptor positive tumor with a 64Cu labeled affibody protein,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 947–954, 2010.
- W. B. Nagengast, E. G. De Vries, G. A. Hospers et al., “In vivo VEGF imaging with radiolabeled bevacizumab in a human ovarian tumor xenograft,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1313–1319, 2007.