- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 760681, 11 pages
Molecular Identification and Ultrastructural and Phylogenetic Studies of Cyanobacteria from Association with the White Sea Hydroid Dynamena pumila (L., 1758)
1Lomonosov Moscow State University, Belozersky Institute of Physico-Chemical Biology, Leninskie Gory 1-40, Moscow 119992, Russia
2Institute of Molecular Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow 123182, Russia
3Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Biology, Leninskie Gory 1-12, Moscow 119991, Russia
4N.I.Vavilov Institute of General Genetics, Russian Academy of Science, Gubkin Street 3, Moscow 119333, Russia
5N.K.Kol’tsov Institute of Developmental Biology, Russian Academy of Science, Vavilova Street 26, Moscow 119334, Russia
Received 28 February 2013; Accepted 22 April 2013
Academic Editor: Vassily Lyubetsky
Copyright © 2013 O. A. Koksharova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. J. Carpenter and R. A. Foster, “Marine cyanobacterial symbiosis,” in Cyanobacteria Symbiosis, A. N. Rai, B. Bergman, and U. Rasmussen, Eds., pp. 11–17, Academic Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2002.
- M. P. Lesser, C. H. Mazel, M. Y. Gorbunov, and P. G. Falkowski, “Discovery of symbiotic nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria in corals,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5686, pp. 997–1000, 2004.
- R. A. Foster, E. J. Carpenter, and B. Bergman, “Unicellular cyanobionts in open ocean dinoflagellates, radiolarians, and tintinnids: ultrastructural characterization and immuno-localization of phycoerythrin and nitrogenase,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 453–463, 2006.
- T. Romagnoli, G. Bavestrello, E. M. Cucchiari et al., “Microalgal communities epibiontic on the marine hydroid Eudendrium racemosum in the Ligurian Sea during an annual cycle,” Marine Biology, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 537–552, 2007.
- A. A. Venn, J. E. Loram, and A. E. Douglas, “Photosynthetic symbioses in animals,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1069–1080, 2008.
- M. W. Taylor, R. Radax, D. Steger, and M. Wagner, “Sponge-associated microorganisms: evolution, ecology, and biotechnological potential,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 295–347, 2007.
- O. Gorelova, I. Kosevich, O. Baulina, T. Fedorenko, A. Torshkhoeva, and E. S. Lobakova, “Associations between the white sea invertebrates and oxygen-evolving phototrophic microorganisms,” Moscow University Biological Sciences Bulletin, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2009.
- O. A. Gorelova, O. I. Baulina, I. A. Kosevich, and E. S. Lobakova, “Associations between the White Sea colonial hydroid Dynamena pumila and microorganisms,” Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 69–80, 2013.
- R. Y. Stanier, R. Kunisawa, M. Mandel, and G. Cohen-Bazire, “Purification and properties of unicellular blue-green algae (order Chroococcales),” Bacteriological Reviews, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 171–205, 1971.
- E. S. Reynolds, “The use of lead citrate at high pH as an electron-opaque stain in electron microscopy,” The Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 17, pp. 208–212, 1963.
- O. Koksharova, M. Schubert, S. Shestakov, and R. Cerff, “Genetic and biochemical evidence for distinct key functions of two highly divergent GAPDH genes in catabolic and anabolic carbon flow of the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 183–194, 1998.
- D. Papaefthimiou, P. Hrouzek, M. A. Mugnai et al., “Differential patterns of evolution and distribution of the symbiotic behaviour in nostocacean cyanobacteria,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 553–564, 2008.
- J. Sambrook, E. F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1989.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- L. O. Zwillenberg, “Electron microscopic features of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria embedded in phosphotungstate,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 154–162, 1964.
- O. A. Gorelova, O. I. Baulina, U. Rasmussen, and O. A. Koksharova, “The pleiotropic effects of ftn2 and ftn6 mutations in cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. PCC 7942: an ultrastructural study,” Protoplasma, 2013.
- R. Rippka, J. Deruelles, and J. B. Waterbury, “Generic assignments, strain histories and properties of pure cultures of cyanobacteria,” Journal of General Microbiology, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 1–61, 1979.
- L. Bruno, D. Billi, S. Bellezza, and P. Albertano, “Cytomorphological and genetic characterization of troglobitic Leptolyngbya strains isolated from Roman hypogea,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 608–617, 2009.
- B. Marin, E. C. M. Nowack, G. Glöckner, and M. Melkonian, “The ancestor of the Paulinella chromatophore obtained a carboxysomal operon by horizontal gene transfer from a Nitrococcus-like γ-proteobacterium,” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 7, article 85, 2007.
- R. N. Beliakova, “Cyanophyta reservati kandalakshnsis,” in Novitates Systematicae Plantarum Non Vascularium, K. L. Vinogradov, Ed., vol. 31, pp. 9–16, Nauka, St. Peterburg, Russia, 1996.
- A. Ulanova, Algae of ponds with unstable salinity coasts of the White and Barents Seas [Ph.D. thesis], St. Peterburg, Russia, 2003.
- H. Zhang, Y. Sekiguchi, S. Hanada et al., “Gemmatimonas aurantiaca gen. nov., sp. nov., a Gram-negative, aerobic, polyphosphate-accumulating micro-organism, the first cultured representative of the new bacterial phylum Gemmatimonadetes phyl. nov,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1155–1163, 2003.
- U. Nübel, F. Garcia-Pichel, and G. Muyzer, “PCR primers to amplify 16S rRNA genes from cyanobacteria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 3327–3332, 1997.
- A. Taton, S. Grubisic, E. Brambilla, R. De Wit, and A. Wilmotte, “Cyanobacterial diversity in natural and artificial microbial mats of Lake Fryxell (McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica): a morphological and molecular approach,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 5157–5169, 2003.
- R. W. Castenholz, “Phylum BX. Cyanobacteria. Oxygenic photosynthetic bacteria,” in Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, D. R. Boone and R. W. Castenholz, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 473–599, 2nd edition, 2001.
- K. Ohki, K. Yamada, M. Kamiya, and S. Yoshikawa, “Characterization of picocyanobacteria isolated from the halocline of the saline meromictic lake, Lake Suigetsu, Japan,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Phototrophic Prokaryotes Montréal, p. 50, August 2009.
- A. Ernst, S. Becker, U. I. A. Wollenzien, and C. Postius, “Ecosystem-dependent adaptive radiations of picocyanobacteria inferred from 16S rRNA and ITS-1 sequence analysis,” Microbiology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 217–228, 2003.
- T. Ishida, M. M. Watanabe, J. Sugiyama, and A. Yokota, “Evidence for polyphyletic origin of the members of the orders of Oscillatoriales and Pleurocapsales as determined by 16S rDNA analysis,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 79–82, 2001.
- V. R. Lopes, V. Ramos, A. Martins, et al., “Phylogenetic, chemical and morphological diversity of cyanobacteria from Portuguese temperate estuaries,” Journal of Marine Environmental, vol. 73, pp. 7–16, 2012.
- B. Castiglioni, E. Rizzi, A. Frosini et al., “Development of a universal microarray based on the ligation detection reaction and 16S rRNA gene polymorphism to target diversity of cyanobacteria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 7161–7172, 2004.
- R. B. Perkerson, J. R. Johansen, L. Kovacik, J. Brand, J. Kastovsky, and D. A. Casamatta, “A unique Pseudanabaenalean (Cyanobacteria) genus Nodosilinea gen. nov. based on morphological and molecular data,” Journal of Phycology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1397–1412, 2011.
- Z. Li and J. Brand, “Leptolyngbya Nodulosa sp. nov. (Oscillatoriaceae), a subtropical marine cyanobacterium that produces a unique multicellular structure,” Phycologia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 396–401, 2007.
- M. A. Vaccarino and J. R. Johansen, “Scytonematopsis contorta sp. nov. (Nostocales), a new species from the Hawaiian Islands,” Fottea, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 149–161, 2011.