- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 761617, 6 pages
Plasma miR-126 Is a Potential Biomarker for Early Prediction of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Susceptible Individuals
1Department of Laboratory Medicine, Shenzhen Nanshan Center for Chronic Disease Control, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518054, China
2Department of Control and Prevention for Chronic Non-Communicable Diseases, Shenzhen Nanshan Center for Chronic Disease Control, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518054, China
3Biomedical Research Institute, Shenzhen PKU-HKUST Medical Center, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518036, China
4Shenzhen Key Laboratory for Translational Medicine of Dermatology, Shenzhen PKU-HKUST Medical Center, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518036, China
5Shenzhen Key Discipline of Dermatology, Peking University Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518036, China
6Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Health Professions, The State University of New York, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
7Department of Cancer Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Received 14 September 2013; Accepted 14 December 2013
Academic Editor: Thean Hock Tang
Copyright © 2013 Tao Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. R. Whiting, L. Guariguata, C. Weil, and J. Shaw, “IDF Diabetes Atlas: global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2011 and 2030,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 311–321, 2011.
- W. Yang, J. Lu, J. Weng et al., “Prevalence of diabetes among men and women in China,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 12, pp. 1090–1101, 2010.
- Y. Xu, L. Wang, J. He et al., “China noncommunicable disease surveillance, prevalence and control of diabetes in Chinese adults,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 310, pp. 948–959, 2013.
- R. C. Ma and J. C. Chan, “Type 2 diabetes in East Asians: similarities and differences with populations in Europe and the United States,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1281, pp. 64–91, 2013.
- G. Roglic and N. Unwin, “Mortality attributable to diabetes: estimates for the year 2010,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2010.
- A. American Diabetes, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, supplement 1, pp. 62–69, 2010.
- C. A. Brosnan and O. Voinnet, “The long and the short of noncoding RNAs,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 416–425, 2009.
- J. S. Mattick, “Non-coding RNAs: the architects of eukaryotic complexity,” EMBO Reports, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 986–991, 2001.
- J. R. Prensner and A. M. Chinnaiyan, “The emergence of lncRNAs in cancer biology,” Cancer Discovery, vol. 1, pp. 391–407, 2011.
- M. Redova, J. Sana, and O. Slaby, “Circulating miRNAs as new blood-based biomarkers for solid cancers,” Future Oncology, vol. 9, pp. 387–402, 2013.
- Y. M. Pers and C. Jorgensen, “MicroRNA in 2012: biotherapeutic potential of microRNAs in rheumatic diseases, Nature reviews,” Rheumatology, vol. 9, pp. 76–78, 2013.
- D. Quiat and E. N. Olson, “MicroRNAs in cardiovascular disease: from pathogenesis to prevention and treatment,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 123, pp. 11–18, 2013.
- C. Guay and R. Regazzi, “Circulating microRNAs as novel biomarkers for diabetes mellitus, Nature reviews,” Endocrinology, vol. 9, pp. 513–521, 2013.
- A. Allegra, A. Alonci, S. Campo et al., “Circulating microRNAs: new biomarkers in diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of cancer (review),” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 41, pp. 1897–1912, 2012.
- E. E. Creemers, A. J. Tijsen, and Y. M. Pinto, “Circulating MicroRNAs: novel biomarkers and extracellular communicators in cardiovascular disease?” Circulation Research, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 483–495, 2012.
- S. Saal and S. J. Harvey, “MicroRNAs and the kidney: coming of age,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 317–323, 2009.
- A. Zampetaki, S. Kiechl, I. Drozdov et al., “Plasma MicroRNA profiling reveals loss of endothelial MiR-126 and other MicroRNAs in type 2 diabetes,” Circulation Research, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 810–817, 2010.
- C. Zhao, J. Dong, T. Jiang et al., “Early second-trimester serum miRNA profiling predicts gestational diabetes mellitus,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 8, Article ID e23925, 2011.
- J. C. N. Chan, V. Malik, W. Jia et al., “Diabetes in Asia: epidemiology, risk factors, and pathophysiology,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 301, no. 20, pp. 2129–2140, 2009.
- N. Kosaka, H. Iguchi, and T. Ochiya, “Circulating microRNA in body fluid: a new potential biomarker for cancer diagnosis and prognosis,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 2087–2092, 2010.
- E. M. Kroh, R. K. Parkin, P. S. Mitchell, and M. Tewari, “Analysis of circulating microRNA biomarkers in plasma and serum using quantitative reverse transcription-PCR (qRT-PCR),” Methods, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 298–301, 2010.
- M. Mraz, K. Malinova, J. Mayer, and S. Pospisilova, “MicroRNA isolation and stability in stored RNA samples,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 390, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2009.
- L. Kong, J. Zhu, W. Han et al., “Significance of serum microRNAs in pre-diabetes and newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: a clinical study,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 61–69, 2011.