- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 763096, 11 pages
Measurement of the Silver Ion Concentration in Wound Fluids after Implantation of Silver-Coated Megaprostheses: Correlation with the Clinical Outcome
1Trauma Surgery Department, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstraße 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
2Orthopaedic Department, University of Duisburg-Essen, Hufelandstraße 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Received 1 April 2013; Accepted 15 May 2013
Academic Editor: Kurt G. Naber
Copyright © 2013 B. Hussmann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Hardes, C. Gebert, A. Schwappach, et al., “Characteristics and outcome of infections associated with tumor endoprostheses,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 126, pp. 289–296, 2006.
- F. Mittermayer, P. Krepler, M. Dominkus et al., “Long-term followup of uncemented tumor endoprostheses for the lower extremity,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 388, pp. 167–177, 2001.
- J. Hardes, H. Ahrens, C. Gebert et al., “Lack of toxicological side-effects in silver-coated megaprostheses in humans,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 18, pp. 2869–2875, 2007.
- H. Ahrens, G. Gosheger, A. Streitbürger, C. Gebert, and J. Hardes, “Antimikrobielle Silberbeschichtung von Tumorprothesen,” Der Onkologe, vol. 12, pp. 145–151, 2006.
- H. J. Park, J. Y. Kim, J. Kim et al., “Silver-ion-mediated reactive oxygen species generation affecting bactericidal activity,” Water Research, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 1027–1032, 2009.
- J. S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu et al., “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- S. A. Jones, P. G. Bowler, M. Walker, and D. Parsons, “Controlling wound bioburden with a novel silver-containing Hydrofiber dressing,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 288–294, 2004.
- O. Gordon, T. V. Slenters, P. S. Brunetto et al., “Silver coordination polymers for prevention of implant infection: thiol interaction, impact on respiratory chain enzymes, and hydroxyl radical induction,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 4208–4218, 2010.
- G. Gosheger, J. Hardes, H. Ahrens et al., “Silver-coated megaendoprostheses in a rabbit model—an analysis of the infection rate and toxicological side effects,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 5547–5556, 2004.
- J. Hardes, C. von Eiff, A. Streitbuerger et al., “Reduction of periprosthetic infection with silver-coated megaprostheses in patients with bone sarcoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2010.
- W. Jung, H. C. Koo, K. W. Kim, S. Shin, S. H. Kim, and Y. H. Park, “Antibacterial activity and mechanism of action of the silver ion in Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 2171–2178, 2008.
- R. Rahil-Khazen, B. J. Bolann, A. Myking, and R. J. Ulvik, “Multi-element analysis of trace element levels in human autopsy tissues by using inductively coupled atomic emission spectrometry technique (ICP-AES),” Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2002.
- G. P. Castelli, C. Pognani, M. Meisner, A. Stuani, D. Bellomi, and L. Sgarbi, “Procalcitonin and C-reactive protein during systemic inflammatory response syndrome, sepsis and organ dysfunction,” Critical Care, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. R234–R242, 2004.
- C. von Eiff, G. Peters, and C. Heilmann, “Pathogenesis of infections due to coagulase-negative staphylococci,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 677–685, 2002.
- E. Sheehan, J. McKenna, K. J. Mulhall, P. Marks, and D. McCormack, “Adhesion of Staphylococcus to orthopaedic metals, an in vivo study,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2004.
- A. M. Straub, J. Suvan, N. P. Lang et al., “Phase 1 evaluation of a local delivery device releasing silver ions in periodontal pockets: safety, pharmacokinetics and bioavailability,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 187–193, 2001.
- G. Zhao and S. E. Stevens Jr., “Multiple parameters for the comprehensive evaluation of the susceptibility of Escherichia coli to the silver ion,” BioMetals, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1998.
- N. Shahabadi, M. Maghsudi, and Z. Ahmadipour, “Study on the interaction of silver(I) complex with bovine serum albumin by spectroscopic techniques,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 92, pp. 184–188, 2012.
- J. M. Schierholz, L. J. Lucas, A. Rump, and G. Pulverer, “Efficacy of silver-coated medical devices,” Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 257–262, 1998.
- G. A. Fielding, M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay, and S. Bose, “Antibacterial and biological characteristics of silver containing and strontium doped plasma sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 8, pp. 3144–3315, 2012.
- C. E. Albers, W. Hofstetter, K. A. Siebenrock, R. Landmann, and F. M. Klenke, “In vitro cytotoxicity of silver nanoparticles on osteoblasts and osteoclasts at antibacterial concentrations,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 30–36, 2013.
- H. Rosengren and A. Dixon, “Antibacterial prophylaxis in dermatologic surgery: an evidence-based review,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2010.
- X. Wu, J. Li, L. Wang, D. Huang, Y. Zuo, and Y. Li, “The release properties of silver ions from Ag-nHA/TiO2/PA66 antimicrobial composite scaffolds,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 5, no. 4, Article ID 044105, 2010.
- K. D. Rosenman, A. Moss, and S. Kon, “Argyria: clinical implications of exposure to silver nitrate and silver oxide,” Journal of Occupational Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 430–435, 1979.
- A. Brutel de la Riviere, K. M. E. Dossche, D. E. Birnbaum, and R. Hacker, “First clinical experience with a mechanical valve with silver coating,” Journal of Heart Valve Disease, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 123–130, 2000.
- K. S. Tweden, J. D. Cameron, A. J. Razzouk, W. R. Holmberg, and S. J. Kelly, “Biocompatibility of silver-modified polyester for antimicrobial protection of prosthetic valves,” Journal of Heart Valve Disease, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 553–561, 1997.
- G. Perrelli and G. Piolatto, “Tentative reference values for gold, silver and platinum: literature data analysis,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 120, no. 1-2, pp. 93–96, 1992.
- E. Sudmann, H. Vik, M. Rait et al., “Systemic and local silver accumulation after total hip replacement using silver-impregnated bone cement,” Medical Progress through Technology, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 179–184, 1994.
- J. M. White, A. M. Powell, K. Brady, and R. Russell-Jones, “Severe generalized argyria secondary to ingestion ofcolloidal silver protein,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 28, pp. 254–256, 2003.
- A. T. Wan, R. A. J. Conyers, C. J. Coombs, and J. P. Masterton, “Determination of silver in blood, urine, and tissues of volunteers and burn patients,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1683–1687, 1991.
- S. D. Adams, B. A. Cotton, M. F. McGuire, et al., “Unique pattern of complications in elderly trauma patients at a Level I trauma center,” The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, vol. 72, pp. 112–118, 2012.
- S. J. Ham, H. S. Koops, R. P. H. Veth, J. R. van Horn, W. M. Molenaar, and H. J. Hoekstra, “Limb salvage surgery for primary bone sarcoma of the lower extremities: long-term consequences of endoprosthetic reconstructions,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 423–436, 1998.
- P. Ritschl, R. Capanna, U. Helwig, M. Campanacci, and R. Kotz, “KMFTR modular prosthesis system for the lower extremity: kotz modular femur tibia reconstruction system,” Zeitschrift fur Orthopadie und Ihre Grenzgebiete, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 290–293, 1992.
- P. Z. Wirganowicz, J. J. Eckardt, F. J. Dorey, F. R. Eilber, and J. M. Kabo, “Etiology and results of tumor endoprosthesis revision surgery in 64 patients,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 358, pp. 64–74, 1999.
- A. Hillmann, G. Gosheger, C. Hoffmann, T. Ozaki, and W. Winkelmann, “Rotationplasty—surgical treatment modality after failed limb salvage procedure,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 120, no. 10, pp. 555–558, 2000.
- L. Y. Shih, F. H. Sim, D. J. Pritchard, M. G. Rock, and E. Y. S. Chao, “Segmental total knee arthroplasty after distal femoral resection for tumor,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 292, pp. 269–281, 1993.
- C. von Eiff, R. A. Proctor, and G. Peters, “Coagulase-negative staphylococci: pathogens have major role in nosocomial infections,” Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 63–76, 2001.
- M. Herrmann and G. Peters, Catheter-Associated Infections Caused By Coagulase-Negative Staphylococci: Clinical and Biological Aspects, Marcel Dekke, New York, NY, USA, 1997.