- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 767496, 6 pages
The Incidence of Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism in Type 2 Diabetic Men in Polish Population
1Department of Internal Diseases, Diabetology and Endocrinology, Warsaw Medical University, Kondratowicza Street 8,
03-242 Warsaw, Poland
2Department of Endocrinology, Medical Centre for Postgraduate Education, Warsaw, Poland
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 16 September 2013
Academic Editor: Gabriel F. Anhe
Copyright © 2013 Michał Rabijewski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Kim, Y. Rolland, O. Cepeda, J. K. Gammack, and J. E. Morley, “Diabetes mellitus in older men,” The Aging Male, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 139–147, 2006.
- M. Polakowska and W. Piotrowski, “Incidence of diabetes in the Polish population: results of the multicenter Polish population health status study—WOBASZ,” Polskie Archiwum Medycyny Wewnetrznej, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 156–163, 2011.
- K. Zatońska, R. Ilow, B. Regulska-Ilow et al., “Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and IFG in the prospective cohort ‘PONS’ study-baseline assessment,” Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 265–269, 2011.
- P. Dandona and S. Dhindsa, “Update: hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in type 2 diabetes and obesity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 2643–2651, 2011.
- M. Grossmann, M. C. Thomas, S. Panagiotopoulos et al., “Low testosterone levels are common and associated with insulin resistance in men with diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1834–1840, 2008.
- E. Selvin, M. Feinleib, L. Zhang et al., “Androgens and diabetes in men: Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III),” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 234–238, 2007.
- S. Dhindsa, M. G. Miller, C. L. McWhirter et al., “Testosterone concentrations in diabetic and nondiabetic obese men,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, pp. 1186–1192, 2010.
- S. Dhindsa, S. Prabhakar, M. Sethi, A. Bandyopadhyay, A. Chaudhuri, and P. Dandona, “Frequent occurrence of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 5462–5468, 2004.
- R. Tomar, S. Dhindsa, A. Chaudhuri, P. Mohanty, R. Garg, and P. Dandona, “Contrasting testosterone concentrations in type 1 and type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1120–1122, 2006.
- N. Pitteloud, A. A. Dwyer, S. DeCruz et al., “The relative role of gonadal sex steroids and gonadotropin-releasing hormone pulse frequency in the regulation of follicle-stimulating hormone secretion in men,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 2686–2692, 2008.
- A. Tajar, G. Forti, T. W. O'Neill et al., “Characteristics of secondary, primary, and compensated hypogonadism in aging men: evidence from the European male ageing study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 1810–1818, 2010.
- G. A. Laughlin, E. Barrett-Connor, and J. Bergstrom, “Low serum testosterone and mortality in older men,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 68–75, 2008.
- C. Wang, E. Nieschlag, R. Swerdloff et al., “ISA, ISSAM, EAU, EAA and ASA recommendations: investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males,” International Journal of Impotence Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- M. Rabijewski, L. Papierska, J. Kozakowski, et al., “The high prevalence of testosterone deficiency in population of Polish men over 65 years with erectile dysfunctions,” The Aging Male, vol. 15, pp. 258–262, 2012.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, supplement 1, pp. 1–8, 2012.
- A. Vermeulen, L. Verdonck, and J. M. Kaufman, “A critical evaluation of simple methods for the estimation of free testosterone in serum,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 3666–3672, 1999.
- E. L. Rhoden, E. P. Ribeiro, C. Teloken, and C. A. V. Souto, “Diabetes mellitus is associated with subnormal serum levels of free testosterone in men,” BJU International, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 867–870, 2005.
- G. Corona, E. Mannucci, L. Petrone et al., “Association of hypogonadism and type II diabetes in men attending an outpatient erectile dysfunction clinic,” International Journal of Impotence Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 190–197, 2006.
- D. Kapoor, H. Aldred, S. Clark, K. S. Channer, and T. H. Jones, “Clinical and biochemical assessment of hypogonadism in men with type 2 diabetes: correlations with bioavailable testosterone and visceral adiposity,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 911–917, 2007.
- D. E. Laaksonen, L. Niskanen, K. Punnonen et al., “Testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin predict the metabolic syndrome and diabetes in middle-aged men,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1036–1041, 2004.
- M. Mogri, S. Dhindsa, T. Quattrin, et al., “Testosterone concentrations in young pubertal and post-pubertal obese males,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 593–599, 2013.
- D. E. Laaksonen, L. Niskanen, K. Punnonen et al., “Sex hormones, inflammation and the metabolic syndrome: a population-based study,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 601–608, 2003.
- J.-P. Després, B. Lamarche, P. Mauriège et al., “Hyperinsulinemia as an independent risk factor for ischemic heart disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 15, pp. 952–957, 1996.
- G. B. Phillips, T. Jing, and S. B. Heymsfield, “Relationships in men of sex hormones, insulin, adiposity, and risk factors for myocardial infarction,” Metabolism, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 784–790, 2003.
- E. C. Tsai, A. M. Matsumoto, W. Y. Fujimoto, and E. J. Boyko, “Association of bioavailable, free, and total testosterone with insulin resistance: influence of sex hormone-binding globulin and body fat,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 861–868, 2004.
- R. K. Stellato, H. A. Feldman, O. Hamdy, E. S. Horton, and J. B. Mckinlay, “Testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, and the development of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged men: prospective results from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 490–494, 2000.
- E. L. Ding, Y. Song, V. S. Malik, and S. Liu, “Sex differences of endogenous sex hormones and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 11, pp. 1288–1299, 2006.
- H.-Y. Lin, Q. Xu, S. Yeh, R.-S. Wang, J. D. Sparks, and C. Chang, “Insulin and leptin resistance with hyperleptinemia in mice lacking androgen receptor,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1717–1725, 2005.
- D. Kapoor, C. J. Malkin, K. S. Channer, and T. H. Jones, “Androgens, insulin resistance and vascular disease in men,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 239–250, 2005.
- S. Bhasin, G. R. Cunningham, F. J. Hayes et al., “Testosterone therapy in adult men with androgen deficiency syndromes: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 1995–2010, 2006.
- M. Rabijewski, M. Kubuj, and S. Zgliczynski, “The efficacy and safety of testosterone replacement therapy in elderly men with hypogonadism,” Polish Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 3, pp. 293–300, 2003.
- D. Kapoor, E. Goodwin, K. S. Channer, and T. H. Jones, “Testosterone replacement therapy improves insulin resistance, glycaemic control, visceral adiposity and hypercholesterolaemia in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 154, no. 6, pp. 899–906, 2006.
- M. A. Boyanov, Z. Boneva, and V. G. Christov, “Testosterone supplementation in men with type 2 diabetes, visceral obesity and partial androgen deficiency,” The Aging Male, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2003.