- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 769295, 12 pages
In Vitro Manganese Exposure Disrupts MAPK Signaling Pathways in Striatal and Hippocampal Slices from Immature Rats
1Departamento de Bioquímica, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Universitário, 88040-900 Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
2Escola de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, Universidade Federal do Tocantins, 77804-970 Araguaína, TO, Brazil
3Departamento de Biologia Celular, Embriologia e Genética, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Universitário, 88040-900 Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
4Departamento de Clínica Médica, Centro de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Hospital Universitário (HU), 88036-800 Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
5Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Received 31 July 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013
Academic Editor: Wilma De Grava Kempinas
Copyright © 2013 Tanara Vieira Peres et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Aschner, K. M. Erikson, E. H. Hernández, and R. Tjalkens, “Manganese and its role in Parkinson's disease: from transport to neuropathology,” NeuroMolecular Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 252–266, 2009.
- T. R. Guilarte, “Manganese and Parkinson's disease: a critical review and new findings,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 1071–1080, 2010.
- T. E. Gunter, C. E. Gavin, M. Aschner, and K. K. Gunter, “Speciation of manganese in cells and mitochondria: a search for the proximal cause of manganese neurotoxicity,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 765–776, 2006.
- T. R. Guilarte, N. C. Burton, T. Verina et al., “Increased APLP1 expression and neurodegeneration in the frontal cortex of manganese-exposed non-human primates,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 1948–1959, 2008.
- R. M. Molina, S. Phattanarudee, J. Kim et al., “Ingestion of Mn and Pb by rats during and after pregnancy alters iron metabolism and behavior in offspring,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 413–422, 2011.
- C. H. Kern and D. R. Smith, “Preweaning Mn exposure leads to prolonged astrocyte activation and lasting effects on the dopaminergic system in adult male rats,” Synapse, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 532–544, 2011.
- J. A. Moreno, E. C. Yeomans, K. M. Streifel, B. L. Brattin, R. J. Taylor, and R. B. Tjalkens, “Age-dependent susceptibility to manganese-induced neurological dysfunction,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 394–404, 2009.
- L. E. Gonzalez, A. A. Juknat, A. J. Venosa, N. Verrengia, and M. L. Kotler, “Manganese activates the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in rat astrocytes by modulating the expression of proteins of the Bcl-2 family,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 53, no. 6–8, pp. 408–415, 2008.
- Y. Liu, D. S. Barber, P. Zhang, and B. Liu, “Complex II of the mitochondrial respiratory chain is the key mediator of divalent manganese-induced hydrogen peroxide production in microglia,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 298–306, 2013.
- H. Yoon, D.-S. Kim, G.-H. Lee, K.-W. Kim, H.-R. Kim, and H.-J. Chae, “Apoptosis induced by manganese on neuronal SK-N-MC cell line: Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) stress and mitochondria dysfunction,” Environmental Health and Toxicology, vol. 26, Article ID e2011017, 2011.
- D. Milatovic, S. Zaja-Milatovic, R. C. Gupta, Y. Yu, and M. Aschner, “Oxidative damage and neurodegeneration in manganese-induced neurotoxicity,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 219–225, 2009.
- F. M. Cordova, A. S. Aguiar Jr., T. V. Peres et al., “In vivo manganese exposure modulates Erk, Akt and Darpp-32 in the striatum of developing rats, and impairs their motor function,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e33057, 2012.
- F. M. Cordova, A. S. Aguiar Jr., T. V. Peres, et al., “Manganese-exposed developing rats display motor deficits and striatal oxidative stress that are reversed by Trolox,” vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 1231–1244, 2013.
- Y. Hirata, T. Meguro, and K. Kiuchi, “Differential effect of nerve growth factor on dopaminergic neurotoxin-induced apoptosis,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 416–425, 2006.
- Y. Ito, K. Oh-hashi, K. Kiuchi, and Y. Hirata, “p44/42 MAP kinase and c-Jun N-terminal kinase contribute to the up-regulation of caspase-3 in manganese-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells,” Brain Research, vol. 1099, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2006.
- K. Prabhakaran, G. D. Chapman, and P. G. Gunasekar, “α-synuclein overexpression enhances manganese-induced neurotoxicity through the NF-κB-mediated pathway,” Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 435–443, 2011.
- Z. Yin, J. L. Aschner, A. P. dos Santos, and M. Aschner, “Mitochondrial-dependent manganese neurotoxicity in rat primary astrocyte cultures,” Brain Research, vol. 1203, pp. 1–11, 2008.
- E. K. Kim and E.-J. Choi, “Pathological roles of MAPK signaling pathways in human diseases,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1802, no. 4, pp. 396–405, 2010.
- G. M. Thomas and R. L. Huganir, “MAPK cascade signalling and synaptic plasticity,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 173–183, 2004.
- T. R. Guilarte, N. C. Burton, J. L. McGlothan et al., “Impairment of nigrostriatal dopamine neurotransmission by manganese is mediated by pre-synaptic mechanism(s): implications to manganese-induced parkinsonism,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 1236–1247, 2008.
- K. M. Erikson, K. Thompson, J. Aschner, and M. Aschner, “Manganese neurotoxicity: a focus on the neonate,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 369–377, 2007.
- S. C. Sistrunk, M. K. Ross, and N. M. Filipov, “Direct effects of manganese compounds on dopamine and its metabolite Dopac: an in vitro study,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 286–296, 2007.
- T. Posser, J. L. Franco, L. Bobrovskaya, R. B. Leal, P. W. Dickson, and P. R. Dunkley, “Manganese induces sustained Ser40 phosphorylation and activation of tyrosine hydroxylase in PC12 cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 848–856, 2009.
- P. Sengupta, “The laboratory rat: relating its age with human's,” International Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 624–630, 2013.
- F. M. Cordova, A. L. S. Rodrigues, M. B. O. Giacomelli et al., “Lead stimulates ERK1/2 and p38MAPK phosphorylation in the hippocampus of immature rats,” Brain Research, vol. 998, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2004.
- A. V. Jacques, D. K. Rieger, M. Maestri, et al., “Lectin from Canavalia brasiliensis (ConBr) protects hippocampal slices against glutamate neurotoxicity in a manner dependent of PI3K/Akt pathway,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 836–842, 2013.
- S. Molz, H. Decker, T. Dal-Cim et al., “Glutamate-induced toxicity in hippocampal slices involves apoptotic features and p38MAPK signaling,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 27–36, 2008.
- Y. Suzuki, T. Mouri, and Y. Suzuki, “Study of subacute toxicity of manganese dioxide in monkeys,” Tokushima Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 22, pp. 5–10, 1975.
- Y. Liu, D. A. Peterson, H. Kimura, and D. Schubert, “Mechanism of cellular 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5- diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) reduction,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 581–593, 1997.
- A. P. Rigon, F. M. Cordova, C. S. Oliveira et al., “Neurotoxicity of cadmium on immature hippocampus and a neuroprotective role for p38MAPK,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 727–734, 2008.
- R. B. Leal, F. M. Cordova, L. Herd, L. Bobrovskaya, and P. R. Dunkley, “Lead-stimulated p38MAPK-dependent Hsp27 phosphorylation,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2002.
- G. L. Peterson, “A simplification of the protein assay method of Lowry et al. Which is more generally applicable,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 346–356, 1977.
- P. R. Dunkley, L. Bobrovskaya, M. E. Graham, E. I. Von Nagy-Felsobuki, and P. W. Dickson, “Tyrosine hydroxylase phosphorylation: regulation and consequences,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1025–1043, 2004.
- S. C. Kumer and K. E. Vrana, “Intricate regulation of tyrosine hydroxylase activity and gene expression,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 443–462, 1996.
- T. Cai, H. Che, T. Yao et al., “Manganese induces Tau hyperphosphorylation through the activation of ERK MAPK pathway in PC12 cells,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 169–177, 2011.
- J.-H. Bae, B.-C. Jang, S.-I. Suh et al., “Manganese induces inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression via activation of both MAP kinase and PI3K/Akt pathways in BV2 microglial cells,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 398, no. 1-2, pp. 151–154, 2006.
- P. L. Crittenden and N. M. Filipov, “Manganese modulation of MAPK pathways: effects on upstream mitogen activated protein kinase kinases and mitogen activated kinase phosphatase-1 in microglial cells,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- P. Grandjean and P. Landrigan, “Developmental neurotoxicity of industrial chemicals,” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9553, pp. 2167–2178, 2006.
- D. Zhang, A. Kanthasamy, V. Anantharam, and A. Kanthasamy, “Effects of manganese on Tyrosine Hydroxylase (TH) activity and TH-phosphorylation in a dopaminergic neural cell line,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 254, no. 2, pp. 65–71, 2011.
- N. M. Filipov and C. A. Dodd, “Role of glial cells in manganese neurotoxicity,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 310–317, 2012.
- F. Zhao, T. Cai, M. Liu, G. Zheng, W. Luo, and J. Chen, “Manganese induces dopaminergic neurodegeneration via microglial activation in a rat model of manganism,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 156–164, 2009.
- C.-X. Gong, T. Lidsky, J. Wegiel, I. Grundke-Iqbal, and K. Iqbal, “Metabolically active rat brain slices as a model to study the regulation of protein phosphorylation in mammalian brain,” Brain Research Protocols, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 134–140, 2001.
- Y. Hirata and T. Nagatsu, “Rotenone and CCCP inhibit tyrosine hydroxylation in rat striatal tissue slices,” Toxicology, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2005.
- R. Rodnight and R. Leal, “Regional variations in protein phosphorylating activity in rat brain studied in micro-slices labeled with [32P]phosphate,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 1990.
- G. Díaz-Véliz, S. Mora, P. Gómez et al., “Behavioral effects of manganese injected in the rat substantia nigra are potentiated by dicumarol, a DT-diaphorase inhibitor,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 245–251, 2004.
- E. J. Martinez-Finley, C. E. Gavin, M. Aschner, and T. E. Gunter, “Manganese neurotoxicity and the role of reactive oxygen species,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 62, pp. 65–75, 2013.
- K. Prabhakaran, D. Ghosh, G. D. Chapman, and P. G. Gunasekar, “Molecular mechanism of manganese exposure-induced dopaminergic toxicity,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 361–367, 2008.
- A. Benedetto, C. Au, D. S. Avila, D. Milatovic, and M. Aschner, “Extracellular dopamine potentiates Mn-induced oxidative stress, lifespan reduction, and dopaminergic neurodegeneration in a BLI-3-dependent manner in caenorhabditis elegans,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 6, no. 8, Article ID e1001084, 2010.
- C. Au, A. Benedetto, and M. Aschner, “Manganese transport in eukaryotes: the role of DMT1,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 569–576, 2008.
- E. N. Martins, N. T. C. Pessano, L. Leal et al., “Protective effect of Melissa officinalis aqueous extract against Mn-induced oxidative stress in chronically exposed mice,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 74–79, 2012.