- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 780458, 12 pages
A Partial Volume Effect Correction Tailored for 18F-FDG-PET Oncological Studies
1IBFM-CNR, Via F.lli Cervi 93, 20090 Segrate, Milan, Italy
2H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 62, 20090 Segrate, Milan, Italy
3University of Milan-Bicocca, Milan, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 2 August 2013; Accepted 2 August 2013
Academic Editor: Noriyoshi Sawabata
Copyright © 2013 F. Gallivanone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Mankoff and W. B. Eubank, “Current and future use of positron emission tomography (PET) in breast cancer,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 125–136, 2006.
- C. Plathow and W. A. Weber, “Tumor cell metabolism imaging,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 43S–63S, 2008.
- M. Lapela, A. Eigtved, S. Jyrkkiö et al., “Experience in qualitative and quantitative FDG PET in follow-up of patients with suspected recurrence from head and neck cancer,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 858–867, 2000.
- E. L. Rosen, W. B. Eubank, and D. A. Mankoff, “FDG PET, PET/CT, and breast cancer imaging,” Radiographics, vol. 27, pp. S215–S229, 2007.
- F. Castell and G. J. R. Cook, “Quantitative techniques in 18FDG PET scanning in oncology,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1597–1601, 2008.
- K. Strobel, U. E. Exner, K. D. M. Stumpe et al., “The additional value of CT images interpretation in the differential diagnosis of benign vs. malignant primary bone lesions with 18F-FDG-PET/CT,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2000–2008, 2008.
- H. Hoshikawa, T. Mitani, Y. Nishiyama, Y. Yamamoto, M. Ohkawa, and N. Mori, “Evaluation of the therapeutic effects and recurrence for head and neck cancer after chemoradiotherapy by FDG-PET,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 192–198, 2009.
- L. K. Shankar, J. M. Hoffman, S. Bacharach et al., “Consensus recommendations for the use of 18F-FDG PET as an indicator of therapeutic response in patients in national cancer institute trials,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1059–1066, 2006.
- A. Stahl, K. Ott, M. Schwaiger, and W. A. Weber, “Comparison of different SUV-based methods for monitoring cytotoxic therapy with FDG PET,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1471–1479, 2004.
- A. Gil-Rendo, F. Martínez-Regueira, G. Zornoza, M. J. García-Velloso, C. Beorlegui, and N. Rodriguez-Spiteri, “Association between [18F] fluorodeoxyglucose uptake and prognostic parameters in breast cancer,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 166–170, 2009.
- M. Schmidt, E. Bollschweiler, M. Dietlein et al., “Mean and maximum standardized uptake values in [18F]FDG-PET for assessment of histopathological response in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma or adenocarcinoma after radiochemotherapy,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 735–744, 2009.
- A. Berriolo-Riedinger, C. Touzery, J.-M. Riedinger et al., “[18F]FDG-PET predicts complete pathological response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1915–1924, 2007.
- N. Avril, M. Menzel, J. Dose et al., “Glucose metabolism of breast cancer assessed by 18F-FDG PET: histologic and immunohistochemical tissue analysis,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2001.
- E. J. Hoffman, P. D. Cutler, T. M. Guerrero, W. M. Digby, and J. C. Mazziotta, “Assessment of accuracy of PET utilizing a 3-D phantom to simulate the activity distribution of [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose uptake in the human brain,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. A17–A25, 1991.
- R. M. Kessler, J. R. Ellis Jr., and M. Eden, “Analysis of emission tomographic scan data: Limitations imposed by resolution and background,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 514–522, 1984.
- M. Soret, S. L. Bacharach, and I. Buvat, “Partial-volume effect in PET tumor imaging,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 932–945, 2007.
- E. J. Hoffman, S. C. Huang, and M. E. Phelps, “Quantitation in positron emission computer tomography: effect of object size,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 299–308, 1978.
- O. G. Rousset, Y. Ma, and A. C. Evans, “Correction for partial volume effects in PET: principle and validation,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 904–911, 1998.
- H. W. Müller-Gärtner, J. M. Links, J. L. Prince et al., “Measurement of radiotracer concentration in brain gray matter using positron emission tomography: MRI-based correction for partial volume effects,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 571–583, 1992.
- N. Boussion, M. Hatt, F. Lamare et al., “A multiresolution image based approach for correction of partial volume effects in emission tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1857–1876, 2006.
- H. Vesselle, R. A. Schmidt, J. M. Pugsley et al., “Lung cancer proliferation correlates with [F-18]fluorodeoxyglucose uptake by positron emission tomography,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 3837–3844, 2000.
- A. van Baardwijk, B. G. Baumert, G. Bosmans et al., “The current status of FDG-PET in tumour volume definition in radiotherapy treatment planning,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 245–260, 2006.
- J. Yu, X. Li, L. Xing et al., “Comparison of tumor volumes as determined by pathologic examination and FDG-PET/CT images of non-small-cell lung cancer: a pilot study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 1468–1474, 2009.
- W. A. Weber, S. I. Ziegler, R. Thödtmann, A.-R. Hanauske, and M. Schwaiger, “Reproducibility of metabolic measurements in malignant tumors using FDG PET,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 1771–1777, 1999.
- Y. E. Erdi, O. Mawlawi, S. M. Larson et al., “Segmentation of lung lesion volume by adaptive positron emission tomography image thresholding,” Cancer, vol. 80, no. 12, supplement, pp. 2505–2509, 1997.
- S. M. Srinivas, T. Dhurairaj, S. Basu, G. Bural, S. Surti, and A. Alavi, “A recovery coefficient method for partial volume correction of PET images,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 341–348, 2009.
- W. Jentzen, L. Freudenberg, E. G. Eising, M. Heinze, W. Brandau, and A. Bockisch, “Segmentation of PET volumes by iterative image thresholding,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 108–114, 2007.
- D. A. Schinagl, J. H. Kaanders, and W. J. Oyen, “From anatomical to biological target volumes: the role of PET in radiation treatment planning,” Cancer Imaging, vol. 6, pp. S107–S116, 2006.
- D. C. Crawford, M. A. Flower, B. E. Pratt et al., “Thyroid volume measurement in thyrotoxic patients: comparison between ultrasonography and iodine-124 positron emission tomography,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1470–1478, 1997.
- N. C. Krak, R. Boellaard, O. S. Hoekstra, J. W. R. Twisk, C. J. Hoekstra, and A. A. Lammertsma, “Effects of ROI definition and reconstruction method on quantitative outcome and applicability in a response monitoring trial,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 294–301, 2005.
- F. Gallivanone, A. Stefano, E. Grosso et al., “PVE correction in PET-CT whole-body oncological studies from PVE-affected images images,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 736–747, 2011.
- M. M. Graham, L. M. Peterson, and R. M. Hayward, “Comparison of simplified quantitative analyses of FDG uptake,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 647–655, 2000.
- N. Avril, S. Bense, S. I. Ziegler et al., “Breast imaging with fluorine-18-FDG PET: quantitative image analysis,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1186–1191, 1997.
- A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, L. G. Strauss, T. Heichel et al., “The role of quantitative 18F-FDG PET studies for the differentiation of malignant and benign bone lesions,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 510–518, 2002.
- I. C. Smith, A. E. Welch, A. W. Hutcheon et al., “Positron emission tomography using [18F]-fluorodeoxy-D-glucose to predict the pathologic response of breast cancer to primary chemotherapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1676–1688, 2000.
- J. R. Lee, M. T. Madsen, D. Bushnel, and Y. Menda, “A threshold method to improve standardized uptake value reproducibility,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 685–690, 2000.
- A. C. Kole, O. E. Nieweg, and J. Pruim, “Standardized uptake value and quantification of metabolism for breast cancer imaging with FDG and L-[1-11C]Tyrosine PET,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 692–696, 1997.
- Y. Nakamoto, K. R. Zasadny, H. Minn, and R. L. Wahl, “Reproducibility of common semi-quantitative parameters for evaluating lung cancer glucose metabolism with positron emission tomography using 2-deoxy-2-[18F]fluoro-D-glucose,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 171–178, 2002.
- R. Boellaard, N. C. Krak, O. S. Hoekstra, and A. A. Lammertsma, “Effects of noise, image resolution, and ROI definition on the accuracy of standard uptake values: a simulation study,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1519–1527, 2004.
- M. Teräs, T. Tolvanen, J. J. Johansson, J. J. Williams, and J. Knuuti, “Performance of the new generation of whole-body PET/CT scanners: Discovery STE and Discovery VCT,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1683–1692, 2007.
- M. E. Daube-Witherspoon, J. S. Karp, M. E. Casey et al., “PET performance measurements using the NEMA NU 2-2001 standard,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1398–1409, 2002.
- F. Zito, E. De Bernardi, C. Soffientini, C. Canzi, R. Casati, and P. Gerundini, “The use of zeolites to generate PET phantoms for the validation of quantification strategies in oncology,” Medical Physics, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 5353–5361, 2012.
- H. Young, R. Baum, U. Cremerius et al., “Measurement of clinical and subclinical tumour response using [18F]- fluorodeoxyglucose and positron emission tomography: review and 1999 EORTC recommendations,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 35, no. 13, pp. 1773–1782, 1999.
- N. Boussion, C. Cheze-Le Rest, M. Hatt, and D. Visvikis, “Incorporation of wavelet-based denoising in iterative deconvolution for partial volume correction in whole-body PET imaging,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1064–1075, 2009.
- B.-K. Teo, Y. Seo, S. L. Bacharach et al., “Partial-volume correction in PET: validation of an iterative postreconstruction method with phantom and patient data,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 802–810, 2007.
- P. Tylski, S. Stute, N. Grotus et al., “Comparative assessment of methods for estimating tumor volume and standardized uptake value in 18F-FDG PET,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 268–276, 2010.
- I. Castiglioni, G. Rizzo, A. Panzacchi, M. C. Gilardi, and F. Fazio, “A MC-based PV correction method for PET/CT oncological studies,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference Record, pp. 11–153, 2005.
- O. G. Rousset, A. Rahmim, A. Alavi, and H. Zaidi, “Partial volume correction strategies in PET,” PET Clinics, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 235–249, 2007.
- C.-H. Chen, R. F. Muzic Jr., A. D. Nelson, and L. P. Adler, “Simultaneous recovery of size and radioactivity concentration of small spheroids with PET data,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 118–130, 1999.
- K. Baete, J. Nuyts, K. V. Laere et al., “Evaluation of anatomy based reconstruction for partial volume correction in brain FDG-PET,” NeuroImage, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 305–317, 2004.
- D. Strul and B. Bendriem, “Robustness of anatomically guided pixel-by-pixel algorithms for partial volume effect correction in positron emission tomography,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 547–559, 1999.
- D. L. Barbee, R. T. Flynn, J. E. Holden, R. J. Nickles, and R. Jeraj, “A method for partial volume correction of PET-imaged tumor heterogeneity using expectation maximization with a spatially varying point spread function,” Physics in medicine and biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 221–236, 2010.
- L. Geworski, B. O. Knoop, M. L. de Cabrejas, W. H. Knapp, and D. L. Munz, “Recovery correction for quantitation in emission tomography: a feasibility study,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 161–169, 2000.