- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 781896, 6 pages
Gastric Stump Cancer: More Than Just Another Proximal Gastric Cancer and Demanding a More Suitable TNM Staging System
1Department of General Surgery, Centro Hospitalar S. João, Alameda Prof. Hernani Monteiro, 4200-319 Porto, Portugal
2University of Porto Medical School, Alameda Prof. Hernani Monteiro, 4200-319 Porto, Portugal
3Institute of Molecular Pathology and Immunology of the University of Porto (IPATIMUP), Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200-465 Porto, Portugal
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 8 August 2013; Accepted 12 August 2013
Academic Editor: Shin Maeda
Copyright © 2013 André Costa-Pinho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Balfour, “Factors influencing the life expectancy of patients operated on for gastric ulcer,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 405–408, 1922.
- C. Toftgaard, “Gastric cancer after peptic ulcer surgery: an historic prospective cohort investigation,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 210, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 1989.
- A. Viste, E. Bjornestad, and P. Opheim, “Risk of carcinoma following gastric operations for benign disease. A historical cohort study of 3470 patients,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8505, pp. 502–505, 1986.
- K. Kondo, “Duodenogastric reflux and gastric stump carcinoma,” Gastric Cancer, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2002.
- A. V. Safatle-Ribeiro, U. Ribeiro Jr., and J. C. Reynolds, “Gastric stump cancer: what is the risk?” Digestive Diseases, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 159–168, 1998.
- A. Viste, G. E. Eide, E. Glattre, and O. Soreide, “Cancer of the gastric stump: analysis of 819 patients and comparison with other stomach cancer patients,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 454–461, 1986.
- J. Pinto-de-Sousa, L. David, M. Seixas, and A. Pimenta, “Clinicopathologic profiles and prognosis of gastric carcinomas from the cardia, fundus/body and antrum,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 102–110, 2001.
- P. Lauren, “The two histological main types of gastric carcinoma: diffuse and so-called intestinal-type carcinoma. An attempt at a histo-clinical classification,” Acta Pathologica et Microbiologica Scandinavica, vol. 64, pp. 31–49, 1965.
- J. A. Ajani, J. S. Barthel, T. Bekaii-Saab, et al., “Gastric cancer,” Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 378–409, 2010.
- E. Kaplan, “Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 53, no. 282, pp. 457–481, 1958.
- D. R. Cox, “Regression models and life-tables,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 187–220, 1972.
- S. Ohno, S. Tomisaki, H. Oiwa et al., “Clinicopathologic characteristics and outcome of adenocarcinoma of the human gastric cardia in comparison with carcinoma of other regions of the stomach,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 180, no. 5, pp. 577–582, 1995.
- X. F. Zhang, C. M. Huang, H. S. Lu, et al., “Surgical treatment and prognosis of gastric cancer in 2, 613 patients,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 23, pp. 3405–3408, 2004.
- J. R. Siewert, K. Bottcher, H. J. Stein, J. D. Roder, and R. Busch, “Problem of proximal third gastric carcinoma,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 523–531, 1995.
- T. Sakaguchi, A. Watanabe, H. Sawada et al., “Characteristics and clinical outcome of proximal-third gastric cancer,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 187, no. 4, pp. 352–357, 1998.
- C. P. J. Caygill, M. J. Hill, J. S. Kirkham, and T. C. Northfield, “Mortality from gastric cancer following gastric surgery for peptic ulcer,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8487, pp. 929–931, 1986.
- C. Sinning, N. Schaefer, J. Standop, A. Hirner, and M. Wolff, “Gastric stump carcinoma-epidemiology and current concepts in pathogenesis and treatment,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 133–139, 2007.
- O. Firat, A. Guler, M. Sozbilen, S. Ersin, and H. Kaplan, “Gastric remnant cancer: an old problem with novel concerns,” Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery, vol. 394, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 2009.
- M. Tokunaga, T. Sano, S. Ohyama, et al., “Clinicopathological characteristics and survival difference between gastric stump carcinoma and primary upper third gastric cancer,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 313–318, 2013.
- J. Lagergren, A. Lindam, and R. M. Mason, “Gastric stump cancer after distal gastrectomy for benign gastric ulcer in a population-based study,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. E1048–E1052, 2012.
- A. Nashimoto, “Current status of treatment strategy for elderly patients with gastric cancer,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2012.
- S. L. Han, Y. W. Hua, C. H. Wang, S. Q. Ji, and J. Zhuang, “Metastatic pattern of lymph node and surgery for gastric stump cancer,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 241–246, 2003.
- E. Newman, M. F. Brennan, S. N. Hochwald, L. E. Harrison, and M. S. Karpeh Jr., “Gastric remnant carcinoma: just another proximal gastric cancer or a unique entity?” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 173, no. 4, pp. 292–297, 1997.
- S. Thorban, K. Böttcher, M. Etter, J. D. Roder, R. Busch, and J. R. Siewert, “Prognostic factors in gastric stump carcinoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 188–194, 2000.
- T. Ojima, M. Iwahashi, M. Nakamori et al., “Clinicopathological characteristics of remnant gastric cancer after a distal gastrectomy,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 277–281, 2010.
- S. Komatsu, D. Ichikawa, K. Okamoto et al., “Differences of the lymphatic distribution and surgical outcomes between remnant gastric cancers and primary proximal gastric cancers,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 503–508, 2012.
- N. Schaefer, C. Sinning, J. Standop, M. Overhaus, A. Hirner, and M. Wolff, “Treatment and prognosis of gastric stump carcinoma in comparison with primary proximal gastric cancer,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 63–67, 2007.
- F. Li, R. Zhang, H. Liang, H. Liu, J. Quan, and J. Zhao, “The pattern of lymph node metastasis and the suitability of 7th UICC N stage in predicting prognosis of remnant gastric cancer,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 111–117, 2012.