- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 783490, 9 pages
Anthelmintic Effects of Alkylated Diamines and Amino Alcohols against Schistosoma mansoni
1Departamento de Química, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, 36036-330 Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
2Departamento de Bioquímica e Imunologia, Universidade de São Paulo, 14049-900 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
3Departamento de Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, 36036-900 Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
Received 27 April 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Graciela Russomando
Copyright © 2013 Fábio de Souza Fernandes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Chitsulo, D. Engels, A. Montresor, and L. Savioli, “The global status of schistosomiasis and its control,” Acta Tropica, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 2000.
- WHO, “Schistosomiasis: number of people treated worldwide in 2009,” in Weekly Epidemiological Record, vol. 86, pp. 73–80, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- M. J. Doenhoff, P. Hagan, D. Cioli et al., “Praziquantel: its use in control of schistosomiasis in sub-Saharan Africa and current research needs,” Parasitology, vol. 136, no. 13, pp. 1825–1835, 2009.
- P. G. Fallon, L.-F. Tao, M. M. Ismail, and J. L. Bennett, “Schistosome resistance to praziquantel: fact or artifact?” Parasitology Today, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 316–320, 1996.
- L. G. Magalhães, G. J. Kapadia, L. R. da Silva Tonuci et al., “In vitro schistosomicidal effects of some phloroglucinol derivatives from Dryopteris species against Schistosoma mansoni adult worms,” Parasitology Research, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 395–401, 2010.
- N. A. Parreira, L. G. Magalhães, D. R. Morais et al., “Antiprotozoal, schistosomicidal, and antimicrobial activities of the essential oil from the leaves of Baccharis dracunculifolia,” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 993–1001, 2010.
- L. G. Magalhães, C. B. Machado, E. R. Morais et al., “In vitro schistosomicidal activity of curcumin against Schistosoma mansoni adult worms,” Parasitology Research, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 1197–1201, 2009.
- L. R. S. Tonuci, N. I. de Melo, H. J. Dias et al., “In vitro schistosomicidal effects of the essential oil of Tagetes erecta,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 88–93, 2011.
- C. Mastri, D. E. Thorborn, A. J. Davies, M. R. Ariyanayagam, and K. J. Hunter, “Polyamine and thiol metabolism in Trypanosoma granulosum: similarities with Trypanosoma cruzi,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 282, no. 5, pp. 1177–1182, 2001.
- E. del Olmo, M. Alves, J. L. López et al., “Leishmanicidal activity of some aliphatic diamines and amino-alcohols,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 659–662, 2002.
- G. R. Labadie, S.-R. Choi, and M. A. Avery, “Diamine derivatives with antiparasitic activities,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 615–619, 2004.
- C. F. da Costa, E. S. Coimbra, F. G. Braga, R. C. N. dos Reis, A. D. da Silva, and M. V. de Almeida, “Preparation and antileishmanial activity of lipophilic N-alkyl diamines,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 40–42, 2009.
- N. B. de Souza, C. A. M. Rezende, M. S. Toledo, et al., “Antimalarial activity of an N-alkyl diamine,” Letters in Drug Design and Discovery, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 371–374, 2011.
- R. B. Giordani, D. P. Araújo, M. Duarte, J. A. Zuanazzi, T. Tasca, and M. V. De Almeida, “Anti-protozoal activity of diamine derivatives,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 60–62, 2011.
- R. B. Giordani, M. V. de Almeida, E. Fernandes et al., “Anti-Trichomonas vaginalis activity of synthetic lipophilic diamine and amino alcohol derivatives,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 613–617, 2009.
- E. S. Coimbra, M. V. de Almeida, C. O. R. Junior, et al., “Synthesis and antileishmanial activity of lipidic amino alcohols,” Chemical Biology & Drug Design, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 233–235, 2010.
- C. O. R. Júnior, R. O. Alves, C. A. M. Rezende et al., “Trypanocidal activity of lipophilic diamines and amino alcohols,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 624–626, 2010.
- M. L. Penido, D. L. Nelson, L. Q. Vieira, and P. M. Coelho, “Schistosomicidal activity of alkylaminooctanethiosulfuric acids,” Memórias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 595–602, 1994.
- H. O. Herrmann and G. Gercken, “Metabolism of 1-O-[1′-14C]octadecyl-sn-glycerol in Leishmania donovani promastigotes. Ether lipid synthesis and degradation of the ether bond,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 65–76, 1982.
- A. C. Pereira, L. G. Magalhães, U. O. Gonalves et al., “Schistosomicidal and trypanocidal structure-activity relationships for (±)-licarin A and its (−)- and (+)-enantiomers,” Phytochemistry, vol. 72, no. 11-12, pp. 1424–1430, 2011.
- C. Ramalhete, L. G. Magalhães, V. Rodrigues, S. Mulhovo, A. A. da Silva Filho, and M. J. Ferreira, “In vitro schistosomicidal activity of balsaminol F and karavilagenin C,” Planta Medica, vol. 78, no. 18, pp. 1912–1917, 2012.
- A. F. Taveira, M. L. Hyaric, E. F. C. Reis et al., “Preparation and antitubercular activities of alkylated amino alcohols and their glycosylated derivatives,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 24, pp. 7789–7794, 2007.
- N. Tewari, V. K. Tiwari, R. P. Tripathi et al., “Synthesis of galactopyranosyl amino alcohols as a new class of antitubercular and antifungal agents,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 329–332, 2004.
- Y. Mitsui and Y. Aoki, “In vitro effect of current antimalarial drugs on the survival of paired Schistosoma mansoni adult worms and their egg production,” Tropical Medicine and Health, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 69–73, 2010.
- J. Moraes, A. A. C. Almeida, M. R. M. Brito, et al., “Anthelmintic activity of the natural compound (+)-limonene epoxide against Schistosoma mansoni,” Planta Medica, vol. 79, no. 3-4, pp. 253–258, 2013.
- L. Pica-Mattoccia and D. Cioli, “Sex- and stage-related sensitivity of Schistosoma mansoni to in vivo and in vitro praziquantel treatment,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 527–533, 2004.
- L. Sanderson, A. Bartlett, and P. J. Whitfield, “In vitro and in vivo studies on the bioactivity of a ginger (Zingiber officinale) extract towards adult schistosomes and their egg production,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 241–247, 2002.
- Y. Mitsui, M. Miura, and Y. Aoki, “In vitro effects of artesunate on the survival of worm pairs and egg production of Schistosoma mansoni,” Journal of Helminthology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2009.
- R. N. Oliveira, V. L. G. Rehder, A. S. Santos Oliveira, et al., “Schistosoma mansoni: in vitro schistosomicidal activity of essential oil of Baccharis trimera (less) DC,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 135–143, 2012.
- A. Taman and P. Ribeiro, “Glutamate-mediated signaling in Schistosoma mansoni: a novel glutamate receptor is expressed in neurons and the female reproductive tract,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 42–50, 2011.
- N. J. Marks and A. G. Maule, “Neuropeptides in helminths: occurrence and distribution,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 692, pp. 49–77, 2010.
- L. M. Veras, M. A. Guimarães, Y. D. Campelo et al., “Activity of epiisopiloturine against Schistosoma mansoni,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 2051–2058, 2012.
- J. D. Moraes, C. Nascimento, P. O. M. V. Lopes et al., “Schistosoma mansoni: in vitro schistosomicidal activity of piplartine,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 357–364, 2011.
- J. Knobloch, W. Kunz, and C. G. Grevelding, “Herbimycin A suppresses mitotic activity and egg production of female Schistosoma mansoni,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1261–1272, 2006.