- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 783519, 8 pages
The Protective Effect of Silybin against Lasalocid Cytotoxic Exposure on Chicken and Rat Cell Lines
1Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Veterinary Research Institute, Partyzantow 57, 24-100 Pulawy, Poland
2Department of Virology and Immunology, Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Akademicka 19, 20-033 Lublin, Poland
3Department of Toxicology, Institute of Agricultural Medicine, Jaczewskiego 2, 20-950 Lublin, Poland
Received 30 August 2012; Revised 23 October 2012; Accepted 28 November 2012
Academic Editor: Juliana Ivanova-Toumbeva
Copyright © 2013 Lidia Radko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Decloedt, T. Verheyen, D. De Clercq et al., “Acute and long-term cardiomyopathy and delayed neurotoxicity after accidental lasalocid poisoning in horses,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1005–1011, 2012.
- L. Espino, M. L. Suarez, N. Miño, A. Goicoa, L. E. Fidalgo, and G. Santamarina, “Suspected lasalocid poisoning in three dogs,” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 241–242, 2003.
- D. S. Kronfeld, “Lasalocid toxicosis is inadequately quantified for horses,” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 245–247, 2002.
- B. Perelman, M. Pirak, and B. Smith, “Effects of the accidental feeding of lasalocid sodium to broiler breeder chickens,” Veterinary Record, vol. 132, no. 11, pp. 271–273, 1993.
- R. Y. P. Wong and J. W. Roxburgh, “Lasalocid awareness and sampling in Scotland,” International Journal of Environmental Health Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 159–169, 2010.
- M. Olejnik and T. Szprengier-Juszkiewicz, “Coccidiostats residues in poultry tissues and eggs,” Medycyna Weterynaryjna, vol. 63, no. 12, pp. 1539–1545, 2007.
- S. Mehrotra, P. N. Viswanathan, and P. Kakkar, “Influence of some biological response modifiers on swelling of rat liver mitochondria in vitro,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 101–106, 1993.
- R. V. Antonio, L. Pereira da Silva, and A. E. Vercesi, “Alterations in mitochondrial Ca2+ flux by the antibiotic X-537A (lasalocid-A),” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1056, no. 3, pp. 250–258, 1991.
- A. B. Borle and R. Studer, “Effects of calcium ionophores on the transport and distribution of calcium in isolated cells and in liver and kidney slices,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 51–72, 1978.
- R. Gažák, D. Walterová, and V. Křen, “Silybin and silymarin—new and emerging applications in medicine,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 315–338, 2007.
- C. Loguercio and D. Festi, “Silybin and the liver: from basic research to clinical practice,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. 2288–2301, 2011.
- R. Avizeh, H. Najafzadeh, M. R. Jalali, and S. Shirali, “Evaluation of prophylactic and therapeutic effects of silymarin and N-acetylcysteine in acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in cats,” Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 95–99, 2010.
- R. Parveen, S. Baboota, J. Ali, A. Ahuja, S. S. Vasudev, and S. Ahmad, “Effects of silymarin nanoemulsion against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damage,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 767–774, 2011.
- D. Tedesco, S. Steidler, S. Galletti, M. Tameni, O. Sonzogni, and L. Ravarotto, “Efficacy of silymarin-phospholipid complex in reducing the toxicity of aflatoxin B1 in broiler chicks,” Poultry Science, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1839–1843, 2004.
- A. Rašković, N. Stilinović, V. Vasović, S. Vukmirović, and M. Mikov, “The protective effects of silymarin against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity and hepatotoxicity in rats,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 8601–8613, 2011.
- Š. Chlopčíková, J. Psotová, P. Miketová, and V. Šimánek, “Chemoprotective effect of plant phenolics against anthracycline-induced toxicity on rat cardiomyocytes. Part I. Silymarin and its flavonolignans,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 107–110, 2004.
- S. C. Pradhan and C. Girish, “Hepatoprotective herbal drug, silymarin from experimental pharmacology to clinical medicine,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 124, pp. 491–504, 2006.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- The FRAME Cytotoxicity Test (Kenacid Blue), “The ECVAM DB-ALM data bank of in vitro techniques in toxicology,” INVITTOX Protocol no. 15, Nottingham, UK, 1992.
- T. Sasaki, K. Kawai, K. Saijo-Kurita, and T. Ohno, “Detergent cytotoxicity: simplified assay of cytolysis by measuring LDH activity,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 451–457, 1992.
- T. C. Chou and P. Talalay, “Analysis of combined drug effects: a new look at a very old problem,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 4, pp. 450–454, 1983.
- T. C. Chou and P. Talalay, “Quantitative analysis of dose-effect relationships: the combined effects of multiple drugs or enzyme inhibitors,” Advances in Enzyme Regulation, vol. 22, pp. 27–55, 1984.
- P. K. Gessner, “Isobolographic analysis of interactions: an update on applications and utility,” Toxicology, vol. 105, no. 2-3, pp. 161–179, 1995.
- J. C. Ourlin, M. Baader, D. Fraser, J. R. Halpert, and U. A. Meyer, “Cloning and functional expression of a first inducible avian cytochrome P450 of the CYP3A subfamily (CYP3A37),” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 373, no. 2, pp. 375–384, 2000.
- S. Kolluri, K. K. Elbirt, and H. L. Bonkovsky, “Heme biosynthesis in a chicken hepatoma cell line (LMH): comparison with primary chick embryo liver cells (CELC),” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1472, no. 3, pp. 658–667, 1999.
- S. Bolkent and K. Zierold, “Effects of the ionophores valinomycin, ionomycin and gramicidin A on the element compartmentation in cultured rat hepatocytes,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 159–165, 2002.
- L. Radko, W. Cybulski, and W. Rzeski, “Cytotoxicity of salinomycin and lasalocid in a model hepatocyte cell line of a rat,” Medycyna Weterynaryjna, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 839–842, 2007.
- L. Radko, W. Cybulski, and W. Rzeski, “Cytotoxicity studies of lasalocid and silybin in rat hepatoma cell culture,” Bulletin of the Veterinary Institute in Pulawy, vol. 55, pp. 547–554, 2011.
- L. Radko, W. Cybulski, and W. Rzeski, “Cytoprotective effect of silybin against lasalocid-induced toxicity in HepG2 cells,” Polish Journal of Veterinary Sciences, vol. 16, no. 1, 2013.
- A. J. Kowaltowski and A. E. Vercesi, “Mitochondrial damage induced by conditions of oxidative stress,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3-4, pp. 463–471, 1999.
- W. G. Bergen and D. B. Bates, “Ionophores: their effect on production efficiency and mode of action,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1465–1483, 1984.
- Z. Dvořák, P. Kosina, D. Walterová, V. Šimánek, P. Bachleda, and J. Ulrichová, “Primary cultures of human hepatocytes as a tool in cytotoxicity studies: cell protection against model toxins by flavonolignans obtained from Silybum marianum,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 201–212, 2003.
- S. H. Pook, C. K. Toh, and R. Mahendran, “Combination of thiol antioxidant Silibinin with Brostallicin is associated with increase in the anti-apoptotic protein Bcl-2 and decrease in caspase 3 activity,” Cancer Letters, vol. 238, no. 1, pp. 146–152, 2006.
- J. P. F. Angeli, G. R. M. Barcelos, J. M. Serpeloni, F. Barbosa Júnior, A. Nersesyan, and M. S. Mantovani, “Evaluation of the genotoxic and anti-genotoxic activities of Silybin in human hepatoma cells (HepG2),” Mutagenesis, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 223–229, 2010.
- J. J. Lah, W. Cui, and K. Q. Hu, “Effects and mechanisms of silibinin on human hepatoma cell lines,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 40, pp. 5299–5305, 2007.
- C. H. Chen, T. S. Huang, C. H. Wong et al., “Synergistic anti-cancer effect of baicalein and silymarin on human hepatoma HepG2 Cells,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 638–644, 2009.
- O. Wesołowska, B. Łania-Pietrzak, M. Kuzdzał et al., “Influence of silybin on biophysical properties of phospholipid bilayers,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 296–306, 2007.
- A. Loranger, C. Gicquaud, and B. Tuchweber, “Effect of silybin on phalloidin-actin interactions in vitro,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 11, no. 1-2, pp. 111–117, 1982.
- S. Sherlock and J. Dooley, Siseases of Liver and Biliary System, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, 11th edition, 2002.
- A. K. Tyagi, C. Agarwal, D. C. Chan, and R. Agarwal, “Synergistic anti-cancer effects of silibinin with conventional cytotoxic agents doxorubicin, cisplatin and carboplatin against human breast carcinoma MCF-7 and MDA-MB468 cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 493–499, 2004.