- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 784190, 7 pages
α-Ketoglutarate Accumulation Is Not Dependent on Isocitrate Dehydrogenase Activity during Tellurite Detoxification in Escherichia coli
1Departamento de Biología, Facultad de Química y Biología, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, Santiago 9170000, Chile
2Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON, Canada P3E 2C6
Received 25 July 2013; Revised 26 October 2013; Accepted 29 October 2013
Academic Editor: Michele Rechia Fighera
Copyright © 2013 Claudia A. Reinoso et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. C. Cooper, Tellurium, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, NY, USA, 1971.
- J. C. Tantaleán, M. A. Araya, C. P. Saavedra et al., “The Geobacillus stearothermophilus V iscS gene, encoding cysteine desulfurase, confers resistance to potassium tellurite in Escherichia coli K-12,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 185, no. 19, pp. 5831–5837, 2003.
- J. M. Pérez, I. L. Calderón, F. A. Arenas, et al., “Bacterial toxicity of potassium tellurite: unveiling an ancient enigma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 2, article e211, 2007.
- V. Tremaroli, S. Fedi, and D. Zannoni, “Evidence for a tellurite-dependent generation of reactive oxygen species and absence of a tellurite-mediated adaptive response to oxidative stress in cells of Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes KF707,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 127–135, 2007.
- V. Tremaroli, M. L. Workentine, A. M. Weljie et al., “Metabolomic investigation of the bacterial response to a metal challenge,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 719–728, 2009.
- T. G. Chasteen, D. E. Fuentes, J. C. Tantaleán, and C. C. Vásquez, “Tellurite: history, oxidative stress, and molecular mechanisms of resistance,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 820–832, 2009.
- R. J. Turner, Y. Aharonowitz, J. H. Weiner, and D. E. Taylor, “Glutathione is a target in tellurite toxicity and is protected by tellurite resistance determinants in Escherichia coli,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2001.
- I. L. Calderón, A. O. Elías, E. L. Fuentes, et al., “Tellurite-mediated disabling of 4Fe-4S clusters of Escherichia coli dehydratases,” Microbiology, vol. 155, no. 6, pp. 1840–1846, 2009.
- R. J. Mailloux, R. Bériault, J. Lemire et al., “The tricarboxylic acid cycle, an ancient metabolic network with a novel twist,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 8, article e690, 2007.
- R. J. Mailloux, R. Singh, G. Brewer, C. Auger, J. Lemire, and V. D. Appanna, “α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase and glutamate dehydrogenase work in tandem to modulate the antioxidant α-ketoglutarate during oxidative stress in Pseudomonas fluorescens,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 191, no. 12, pp. 3804–3810, 2009.
- T. Baba, T. Ara, M. Hasegawa et al., “Construction of Escherichia coli K-12 in-frame, single-gene knockout mutants: the Keio collection,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 2, Article ID 2006.0008, 2006.
- A. A. Vlessis, D. Bartos, and D. Trunkey, “Importance of spontaneous α-ketoacid decarboxylation in experiments involving peroxide,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 1281–1287, 1990.
- K. A. Nath, E. O. Ngo, R. P. Hebbel, A. J. Croatt, B. Zhou, and L. M. Nutter, “α-ketoacids scavenge H2O2in vitro and in vivo and reduce menadione-induced DNA injury and citotoxicity,” The American Journal of Physiology—Cell Physiology, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. C227–C236, 1995.
- D. Clough and R. Bunger, “Protection by pyruvate against inhibition of Na+,K+-ATase by a free radical generating system: containing t-butylhydroperoxide,” Life Sciences, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 931–943, 1995.
- N. I. Fedotcheva, A. P. Sokolov, and M. N. Kondrashova, “Nonezymatic formation of succinate in mitochondria under oxidative stress,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2006.
- C. A. Reinoso, C. Auger, V. D. Appanna, and C. C. Vásquez, “Tellurite-exposed Escherichia coli exhibits increased intracellular α-ketoglutarate,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 421, no. 4, pp. 721–726, 2012.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Oxygen free radicals and iron in relation to biology and medicine: some problems and concepts,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 246, no. 2, pp. 501–514, 1986.
- H. Eguchi, T. Wakagi, and T. A. Oshima, “A highly stable NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase from Thermus thermophilus HB8: purification and general properties,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 990, no. 2, pp. 133–137, 1989.
- I. Fridovich, “Biological effects of the superoxide radical,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 247, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1986.
- J. H. Yang and J. W. Park, “Oxalomalate, a competitive inhibitor of NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase, enhances lipid peroxidation-mediated oxidative damage in U937 cells,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 416, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2003.
- R. B. Helling, “Why does Escherichia coli have two primary pathways for synthesis of glutamate?” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 176, no. 15, pp. 4664–4668, 1994.
- J. Sambrook and D. Russell, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- R. Singh, D. Chénier, R. Bériault, R. Mailloux, R. D. Hamel, and V. D. Appanna, “Blue native polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and the monitoring of malate- and oxaloacetate-producing enzymes,” Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 189–199, 2005.
- F. Borsetti, F. Francia, R. J. Turner, and D. Zannoni, “The thiol:disulfide oxidoreductase DsbB mediates the oxidizing effects of the toxic metalloid tellurite (TeO32−) on the plasma membrane redox system of the facultative phototroph Rhodobacter capsulatus,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 189, no. 3, pp. 851–859, 2007.
- M. E. Castro, R. Molina, W. Díaz, S. E. Pichuantes, and C. C. Vásquez, “The dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase of Aeromonas caviae ST exhibits NADH-dependent tellurite reductase activity,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 375, no. 1, pp. 91–94, 2008.
- M. Valdivia-González, J. M. Pérez-Donoso, and C. C. Vásquez, “Effect of tellurite-mediated oxidative stress on the Escherichia coli glycolytic pathway,” Biometals, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 451–458, 2012.
- E. M. Lohmeier-Vogel, S. Ung, and R. J. Turner, “In vivo31P nuclear magnetic resonance investigation of tellurite toxicity in Eschenchia coli,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 70, no. 12, pp. 7342–7347, 2004.
- E. S. Yang, C. Richter, J. S. Chun, T. Huh, S. Kang, and J. Park, “Inactivation of NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase by nitric oxide,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 927–937, 2002.
- S. M. Lee, H. J. Koh, D. C. Park, B. J. Song, T. Huh, and J. Park, “Cytosolic NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase status modulates oxidative damage to cells,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1185–1196, 2002.
- S. M. Lee, T. L. Huh, and J. W. Park, “Inactivation of NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase by reactive oxygen species,” Biochimie, vol. 83, no. 11-12, pp. 1057–1065, 2001.
- J. H. Yang, E. S. Yang, and J. W. Park, “Inactivation of NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase by lipid peroxidation products,” Free Radical Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 241–249, 2004.
- I. Batinic-Haberle and L. T. Benov, “An SOD mimic protects NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase against oxidative inactivation,” Free Radical Research, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 618–624, 2008.
- Y. Zhang, N. Lu, and Z. Gao, “Hemin-H2O2-NO2- induced protein oxidation and tyrosine nitration are different from those of SIN-1: a study on glutamate dehydrogenase nitrative/oxidative modification,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 907–915, 2009.
- A. Rehman and B. A. McFadden, “Lysine 194 is functional in isocitrate lyase from Escherichia coli,” Current Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 14–17, 1997.
- R. D. Hamel and V. D. Appanna, “Modulation of TCA cycle enzymes and aluminum stress in Pseudomonas fluorescens,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2001.
- M. M. Kabir and K. Shimizu, “Metabolic regulation analysis of icd-gene knockout Escherichia coli based on 2D electrophoresis with MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry and enzyme activity measurements,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 84–96, 2004.
- W. O. Carter, P. K. Narayanan, and J. P. Robinson, “Intracellular hydrogen peroxide and superoxide anion detection in endothelial cells,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 153–258, 1994.
- C. P. LeBel, H. Ischiropoulos, and S. C. Bondy, “Evaluation of the probe 2′,7′-dichlorofluorescin as an indicator of reactive oxygen species formation and oxidative stress,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 227–231, 1992.
- S. Kuramitsu, S. Okuno, T. Ogawa, H. Ogawa, and H. Kagamiyama, “Aspartate aminotransferase of Escherichia coli: nucleotide sequence of the aspC gene,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1259–1262, 1985.
- R. E. Miller and E. R. Stadtman, “Glutamate synthase from Escherichia coli. An iron-sulfide flavoprotein,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 247, no. 22, pp. 7407–7419, 1972.