- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 786462, 8 pages
Epidemiology and Risk Factors of Tooth Loss among Iranian Adults: Findings from a Large Community-Based Study
1Dental Students’ Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 81749-73461, Iran
2Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E1
3Integrative Functional Gastroenterology Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 81749-73461, Iran
4Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Hezar Jarib Street, Isfahan 81749-73461, Iran
5Department of Prosthodontics, Torabinejad Dental Research Center, School of Dentistry, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 81749-73461, Iran
Received 13 June 2013; Revised 25 August 2013; Accepted 29 August 2013
Academic Editor: Sabine Rohrmann
Copyright © 2013 Saber Khazaei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Sheiham and J. Steele, “Does the condition of the mouth and teeth affect the ability to eat certain foods, nutrient and dietary intake and nutritional status amongst older people?” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 797–803, 2001.
- P. Torkzaban, “The survey of the edentulousness prevalence in population over 35 years old in hamadan in 1997,” Scientific Journal of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences & Health Services, vol. 6, no. 13, pp. 43–49, 1999.
- M. Z. Nassani, D. Locker, A. A. Elmesallati et al., “Dental health state utility values associated with tooth loss in two contrasting cultures,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 601–609, 2009.
- R. M. Heath, “The dental health of elderly people in Britain, 1968 to 1988,” International Dental Journal, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 399–402, 1992.
- S. Khazaei, M. S. Firouzei, S. Sadeghpour, et al., “Edentulism and tooth Loss in Iran: SEPAHAN systematic review no. 6,” International Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 3, supplement 1, pp. S42–S47, 2012.
- H. Hessari, M. M. Vehkalahti, M. J. Eghbal, and H. Murtomaa, “Tooth loss and prosthodontic rehabilitation among 35- to 44-year-old Iranians,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 245–251, 2008.
- D. A. Felton, “Edentulism and comorbid factors,” Texas Dental Journal, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 389–401, 2010.
- World Health Organization, Oral Health Surveys: Basic Methods, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 4th edition, 1997.
- A. E. Sanders, G. D. Slade, K. D. Carter, and J. F. Stewart, “Trends in prevalence of complete tooth loss among Australians, 1979–2002,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 549–554, 2004.
- G. D. Slade and A. J. Spencer, “Social impact of oral conditions among older adults,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 358–364, 1994.
- F. Müller, M. Naharro, and G. E. Carlsson, “What are the prevalence and incidence of tooth loss in the adult and elderly population in Europe?” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 18, supplement 3, pp. 2–14, 2007.
- B. A. Burt, A. I. Ismail, E. C. Morrison, and E. D. Beltran, “Risk factors for tooth loss over a 28-year period,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 1126–1130, 1990.
- C. McGrath and R. Bedi, “Severe tooth loss among UK adults—who goes for oral rehabilitation?” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 240–244, 2002.
- T. A. Dolan, G. H. Gilbert, R. P. Duncan, and U. Foerster, “Risk indicators of edentulism, partial tooth loss and prosthetic status among black and white middle-aged and older adults,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 329–340, 2001.
- C. Susin, R. V. Oppermann, O. Haugejorden, and J. M. Albandar, “Tooth loss and associated risk indicators in an adult urban population from South Brazil,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 85–93, 2005.
- G. Holm, “Smoking as an additional risk for tooth loss,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 996–1001, 1994.
- D. Armellini and J. A. von Fraunhofer, “The shortened dental arch: a review of the literature,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 531–535, 2004.
- B. M. Henriksen, T. Axéll, and K. Laake, “Geographic differences in tooth loss and denture-wearing among the elderly in Norway,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 403–411, 2003.
- R. Omar, “The evidence for prosthodontic treatment planning for older, partially dentate patients,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. 33–42, 2003.
- P. Adibi, A. H. Keshteli, A. Esmaillzadeh, et al., “The study on the epidemiology of psychological, alimentary health and nutrition (SEPAHAN): overview of methodology,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. S292–S298, 2012.
- N. U. Zitzmann, C. P. Marinello, E. Zemp, P. Kessler, and U. Ackermann-Liebrich, “Tooth loss, dental restorations and dental attendance in Switzerland,” Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed, vol. 111, no. 11, pp. 1288–1294, 2001.
- B. G. Dogan and S. Gokalp, “Tooth loss and edentulism in the Turkish elderly,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. e162–e166, 2012.
- C. A. Okoro, L. S. Balluz, P. I. Eke et al., “Tooth loss and heart disease: findings from the behavioral risk factor surveillance system,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 29, no. 5, supplement 1, pp. 50–56, 2005.
- K. Edman, K. Ohrn, A. Holmlund, B. Nordstrom, M. Hedin, and D. Hellberg, “Comparison of oral status in an adult population 35–75 year of age in the county of Dalarna, Sweden in 1983 and 2008,” Swedish Dental Journal, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 61–70, 2012.
- S. Renvert, R. E. Persson, and G. R. Persson, “Tooth loss and periodontitis in older individuals. Results from the Swedish national Study on aging and care,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 84, no. 8, pp. 1134–1144, 2013.
- S. Muller, P. Eickholz, P. Reitmeir, and T. Eger, “Long-term tooth loss in periodontally compromised but treated patients according to the type of prosthodontic treatment. A retrospective study,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 358–367, 2013.
- P. Axelsson, J. Paulander, and J. Lindhe, “Relationship between smoking and dental status in 35-, 50-, 65-, and 75-year-old individuals,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 297–305, 1998.
- B. E. Klein, R. Klein, and M. D. Knudtson, “Life-style correlates of tooth loss in an adult midwestern population,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 145–150, 2004.
- E. Ragnarsson, S. T. Elíasson, and S. H. Olafsson, “Tobacco smoking, a factor in tooth loss in Reykjavík, Iceland,” Scandinavian Journal of Dental Research, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 322–326, 1992.
- M. Ojima, T. Hanioka, K. Tanaka, E. Inoshita, and H. Aoyama, “Relationship between smoking status and periodontal conditions: findings from national databases in Japan,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 573–579, 2006.
- M. Ojima, T. Hanioka, K. Tanaka, and H. Aoyama, “Cigarette smoking and tooth loss experience among young adults: a national record linkage study,” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, article 313, 2007.
- K. Tanaka, Y. Miyake, S. Sasaki et al., “Active and passive smoking and tooth loss in Japanese women: baseline data from the Osaka maternal and child health study,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 358–364, 2005.
- P. Ylöstalo, T. Sakki, J. Laitinen, M.-R. Järvelin, and M. Knuuttila, “The relation of tobacco smoking to tooth loss among young adults,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 2004.
- T. Dietrich, N. N. Maserejian, K. J. Joshipura, E. A. Krall, and R. I. Garcia, “Tobacco use and incidence of tooth loss among US male health professionals,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 373–377, 2007.
- W. M. Edgar, “Saliva and dental health. Clinical implications of saliva: report of a consensus meeting,” The British Dental Journal, vol. 169, no. 3-4, pp. 96–98, 1990.
- I. D. Mandel, “The role of saliva in maintaining oral homeostasis,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 298–304, 1989.
- U. Heintze, “Secretion rate, buffer effect and number of lactobacilli and streptococcus mutans of whole saliva of cigarette smokers and nonsmokers,” Scandinavian Journal of Dental Research, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 294–301, 1984.
- G. Rajabizadeh, M. A. Ramezani, H. Roohafza et al., “Association between cigarette smoking and socio-emographics, lifestyle and mental health factors in a sampled Iranian population,” Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 977–987, 2011.
- F. Mack, N. Abeygunawardhana, T. Mundt et al., “The factors associated with body mass index in adults from the study of health in Pomerania (SHIP-0), Germany,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 59, supplement 5, pp. 5–16, 2008.
- S. Kazemi, G. Savabi, S. Khazaei, et al., “Association between food intake and oral health in elderly: SEPAHAN systematic review no. 8,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 8, supplement 1, pp. S15–S20, 2011.
- K. Okada, H. Enoki, S. Izawa, A. Iguchi, and M. Kuzuya, “Association between masticatory performance and anthropometric measurements and nutritional status in the elderly,” Geriatrics and Gerontology International, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2010.
- T. L. do Nascimento, D. D. da Silva, N. A. Liberalesso, H. J. Balbinot, H. F. Neves, and L. de Sousa Mda, “Association between underweight and overweight/obesity with oral health among independently living Brazilian elderly,” Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 152–157, 2013.
- A. L. Ostberg, C. Bengtsson, L. Lissner, and M. Hakeberg, “Oral health and obesity indicators,” BMC Oral Health, vol. 12, article 50, 2012.
- J. B. Hilgert, F. N. Hugo, M. L. de Sousa, and M. C. Bozzetti, “Oral status and its association with obesity in Southern Brazilian older people,” Gerodontology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 46–52, 2009.
- D. Kinane and P. Bouchard, “Periodontal diseases and health: consensus report of the sixth European workshop on periodontology,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 35, no. 8, supplement, pp. 333–337, 2008.
- A. M. Iacopino and C. W. Cutler, “Pathophysiological relationships between periodontitis and systemic disease: recent concepts involving serum lipids,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 1375–1384, 2000.
- M. Jimenez, F. B. Hu, M. Marino, Y. Li, and K. J. Joshipura, “Type 2 diabetes mellitus and 20 year incidence of periodontitis and tooth loss,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 494–500, 2012.
- M. A. Peres, G. Tsakos, P. R. Barbato, D. A. Silva, and K. G. Peres, “Tooth loss is associated with increased blood pressure in adults—a multidisciplinary population-based study,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 824–833, 2012.
- O. A. Ayo-Yusuf and I. J. Ayo-Yusuf, “Association of tooth loss with hypertension,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 381–385, 2008.
- T. Saito and Y. Shimazaki, “Metabolic disorders related to obesity and periodontal disease,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 254–266, 2007.
- T. Furukawa, K. Wakai, K. Yamanouchi et al., “Associations of periodontal damage and tooth loss with atherogenic factors among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Internal Medicine, vol. 46, no. 17, pp. 1359–1364, 2007.