- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 789326, 7 pages
Molecular Identification and Polymorphism Determination of Cutaneous and Visceral Leishmaniasis Agents Isolated from Human and Animal Hosts in Iran
1Department of Medical Parasitology and Mycology, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences,
Tehran 14155 6446, Iran
2Center for Research of Endemic Parasites of Iran (CREPI), Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3Pediatric Infections Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
4Department of Medical Entomology and Vector Control, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
5Department of Parasitology, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran, Iran
6School of Public Health, Meshkin-Shahr Research Station, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Received 25 April 2013; Revised 27 July 2013; Accepted 6 August 2013
Academic Editor: Georgios Theodoropoulos
Copyright © 2013 Homa Hajjaran et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Control of the Leishmaniases,” Report of a Meeting of the WHO Expert Committee on the Control of Leishmaniases, Geneva, switzerland, 2010.
- A. J. Magill, M. Grogl, R. A. Gasser Jr., W. Sun, and C. N. Oster, “Visceral infection caused by Leishmania tropica in veterans of operation desert storm,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 19, pp. 1383–1387, 1993.
- A. Nadim, E. Javadian, M. Mohebali, and A. Zamen Momeni, “Leishmania parasites and Leishmaniases,” in Epidemiology of Leishmaniasis in Iran, Tehran University Press, Tehran, 2009 (Persian).
- H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, M. R. Razavi, et al., “Identification of Leishmania species isolated from human cutaneous leishmaniasis, using random amplified polymorphic DNA, (RAPD-PCR),” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 8–15, 2004.
- I. Sharifi, S. Poursmaelian, M. R. Aflatoonian et al., “Emergence of a new focus of anthroponotic cutaneous leishmaniasis due to Leishmania tropica in rural communities of Bam district after the earthquake, Iran,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 510–513, 2011.
- M. R. Shiee, H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, et al., “A molecular and parasitological survey on cutaneous leishmaniasis patients from historical city of kashan in Isfahan province, center of Iran,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 421–425, 2012.
- S. Maraghi, A. Samarbaf Zadeh, A. A. Sarlak, M. B. Ghasemian, and B. Vazirianzadeh, “Identification of cutaneous leishmaniasis agents by nested polymerase chain reaction (Nested-PCR) in shush city, khuzestan province, Iran,” Iranian Journal of Parasitology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 13–15, 2007.
- N. Rahbarian, A. Mesgarian, M. Mahmoudi Rad et al., “Identification of Leishmania species isolated from human cutaneous leishmaniasis using PCR method,” Journal of Research in Health Sciences, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 48–51, 2009.
- S. Alimoradi, H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, and F. Mansouri, “Molecular identification of Leishmania species isolated from human cutaneous leishmaniasis by RAPD-PCR,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 44–50, 2009.
- M. Mohebali, “Epidemiological status of visceral leishmaniasis in Iran: experiences and review of literature,” Journal of Clinical Experimental Pathology, vol. S3, article 003, 2012.
- S. Razmjou, H. Hejazy, M. H. Motazedian, M. Baghaei, M. Emamy, and M. Kalantary, “A new focus of zoonotic cutaneous leishmaniasis in shiraz, Iran,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 727–730, 2009.
- H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, M. R. Abaei, M. R. Oshaghi, Z. Zarei, et al., “Natural infection and phylogenetic classification of Leishmania spp.infecting Rhombomys opimus, a primary reservoir host of zoonotic cutaneous leishmaniasis in northeast Iran,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 107, no. 9, pp. 550–557, 2013.
- A. A. Akhavan, M. R. Yaghoobi-Ershadi, H. Mirhendi et al., “Molecular epizootiology of rodent leishmaniasis in a hyperendemic area of Iran,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2010.
- M. Mohebali, H. Hajjaran, Y. Hamzavi, et al., “Epidemiological aspects of canine visceral leishmaniosis in the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 129, no. 3-4, pp. 243–251, 2005.
- M. A. Oshaghi, Y. Rassi, L. Tajedin et al., “Mitochondrial DNA diversity in the populations of great gerbils, Rhombomys opimus, the main reservoir of cutaneous leishmaniasis,” Acta Tropica, vol. 119, no. 2-3, pp. 165–171, 2011.
- S. Jafari, M. Hajiabdolbaghi, M. Mohebali, H. Hajjaran, and H. Hashemian, “Disseminated leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania tropica in HIV-positive patients in the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 340–343, 2010.
- A. Moshfe, M. Mohebali, G. Edrissian et al., “Canine visceral leishmaniasis: asymptomatic infected dogs as a source of L. infantum infection,” Acta Tropica, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 101–105, 2009.
- H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, A. A. Akhavan, A. Taheri, B. Barikbin, and S. Nassiri, “Unusual presentation of disseminated cutaneous leishmaniasis due to Leishmania major case reports of four Iranian patients,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 333–336, 2013.
- G. Schönian, A. Nasereddin, N. Dinse et al., “PCR diagnosis and characterization of Leishmania in local and imported clinical samples,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 349–358, 2003.
- M. Soto, R. Laura, M. A. Pineda, et al., “Searching genes encoding Leishmania antigens for diagnosis and protection,” Scholarly Research Exchange, vol. 2009, Article ID 173039, 25 pages, 2009.
- J. Alvar, I. D. Velez, C. Bern et al., “Leishmaniasis worldwide and global estimates of its incidence,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 5, Article ID e35671, 2012.
- H. Hajjaran, F. Vasigheh, M. Mohebali, S. Rezaei, S. Mamishi, and S. Charedar, “Direct diagnosis of Leishmania species on serosity materials punctured from cutaneous leishmaniasis patients using PCR-RFLP,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2011.
- M. A. Oshaghi, N. Maleki Ravasan, M. Hide, E. Javadian, Y. Rassi, et al., “Development of species-specific PCR and PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism assays for L .infantum-donovani- discrimination,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 61–65, 2009.
- M. Mohebali, E. Javadian, M. R. Yaghoobi-Ershadi, A. A. Akhavan, H. Hajjaran, and M. R. Abaei, “Characterization of Leishmania infection in rodents from endemic areas of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 10, no. 4-5, pp. 591–599, 2004.
- G. H. H. Edrissian, H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, G. Soleimanzadeh, and S. Bokaei, “Application and evaluation of direct agglutination test in serodiagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in man and canine reservoirs in Iran,” Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 21, pp. 119–124, 1996.
- M. Mohebali, G. H. H. Edrissian, A. Nadim, H. Hajjaran, B. Akhoundi, et al., “Application of direct agglutination test (DAT) for the diagnosis and seroepide-miological studies of visceral leishmaniasis in Iran,” Iranian Journal of Parasitology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2006.
- S. R. Naddaf Dezfouli, M. A. Oshaghi, H. Vatandoost, E. Javadian, Z. Telmadarei, and M. Assmar, “Use of random amplified polymorphic DNA polymerase chain reaction (RAPD-PCR) and ITS2 PCR assays for differentiation of populations and putative sibling species of Anopheles fluviatilis (Diptera: Culicidae) in Iran,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 31, no. 3-4, pp. 133–137, 2002.
- S. A. Albustan, M. A. Alnaqeeb, N. Y. Murad, and A. F. Al-Alawi, “Genetic variation of inbred laboratory rats by RAPD-PCR,” Kuwait Journal of Science and Engineering, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 391–399, 2001.
- J. M. Lachin, “Relative risk estimates and tests for two independent groups,” in Biostatistics Methods: The Assesment of Relative Risks, John Wily&Sons, Toronto, Canada, 2nd edition, 2000.
- H. Hajjaran, M. Mohebali, S. Alimoradi, M. R. Abaei, and G. H. Edrissian, “Isolation and characterization of pathogenic Leishmania turanica from Nesokia indica (Rodentia, Muridae) by PCR-RFLP and ITS1 sequencing in Iran,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 1177–1179, 2009.
- R. Shafiei, M. Mohebali, B. Akhoundi, M. S. Galian, F. Kalantar, et al., “Emergence of co-infection of visceral leishmaniasis in HIV-positive patients in northeast Iran: a preliminary study,” Travel Medicine and Infection Diseases, vol. 13, pp. S1477–S8939, 2013.
- O. F. Osman, L. Oskam, E. E. Zijlstra et al., “Evaluation of PCR for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 2454–2457, 1997.
- C. Margonari, J. A. Menezes, M. N. Rocha, et al., “Public knowledge about and detection of Canine visceral leishmaniasis in urban divinópolis, Brazil,” Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 429586, 8 pages, 2012.