- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 796586, 9 pages
Low Serum Concentration of Obestatin as a Predictor of Mortality in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients
1Nephrology Division, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 70300 Zerifin, Israel
2Pathology Department, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 70300 Zerifin, Israel
3Nutrition Department, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 70300 Zerifin, Israel
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 19 July 2013
Academic Editor: George Seki
Copyright © 2013 Ilia Beberashvili et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. V. Zhang, P.-G. Ren, O. Avsian-Kretchmer et al., “Medicine: obestatin, a peptide encoded by the ghrelin gene, opposes ghrelin's effects on food intake,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5750, pp. 996–999, 2005.
- J. V. Zhang, H. Jahr, C.-W. Luo et al., “Obestatin induction of early-response gene expression in gastrointestinal and adipose tissues and the mediatory role of G protein-coupled receptor, GPR39,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1464–1475, 2008.
- E. Bresciani, D. Rapetti, F. Donà et al., “Obestatin inhibits feeding but does not modulate GH and corticosterone secretion in the rat,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. RC16–RC18, 2006.
- A. Van Dijck, D. Van Dam, V. Vergote et al., “Central administration of obestatin fails to show inhibitory effects on food and water intake in mice,” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 156, pp. 77–82, 2009.
- B. Holst, K. L. Egerod, E. Schild et al., “GPR39 signaling is stimulated by zinc ions but not by obestatin,” Endocrinology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2007.
- R. Granata, J. Isgaard, G. Alloatti, and E. Ghigo, “Cardiovascular actions of the Ghrelin gene-derived peptides and growth hormone-releasing hormone,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 236, no. 5, pp. 505–514, 2011.
- G. Alloatti, E. Arnoletti, E. Bassino et al., “Obestatin affords cardioprotection to the ischemic-reperfused isolated rat heart and inhibits apoptosis in cultures of similarly stressed cardiomyocytes,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 299, no. 2, pp. H470–H481, 2010.
- E. Kellokoski, A. Kunnari, M. Jokela, S. Mäkelä, Y. A. Kesäniemi, and S. Hörkkö, “Ghrelin and obestatin modulate early atherogenic processes on cells: enhancement of monocyte adhesion and oxidized low-density lipoprotein binding,” Metabolism, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1572–1580, 2009.
- B. Aygen, A. Dogukan, F. E. Dursun et al., “Ghrelin and obestatin levels in end-stage renal disease,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 757–765, 2009.
- D. Mafra, F. Guebre-Egziabher, C. Cleaud et al., “Obestatin and ghrelin interplay in hemodialysis patients,” Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 11-12, pp. 1100–1104, 2010.
- A. Lacquaniti, D. Bolignano, V. Donato et al., “Obestatin: a new element for mineral metabolism and inflammation in patients on hemodialysis,” Kidney and Blood Pressure Research, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 104–110, 2011.
- I. Beberashvili, I. Sinuani, A. Azar et al., “Longitudinal study of leptin levels in chronic hemodialysis patients,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 10, article 68, 2011.
- R. Bross, N. Noori, C. P. Kovesdy et al., “Dietary assessment of individuals with chronic kidney disease,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 359–364, 2010.
- T. A. Depner and J. T. Daugirdas, “Equations for normalized protein catabolic rate based on two-point modeling of hemodialysis urea kinetics,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 780–785, 1996.
- N. Noori, J. D. Kopple, C. P. Kovesdy et al., “Mid-arm muscle circumference and quality of life and survival in maintenance hemodialysis patients,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 2258–2268, 2010.
- R. Bross, G. Chandramohan, C. P. Kovesdy et al., “Comparing body composition assessment tests in long-term hemodialysis patients,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 885–896, 2010.
- U. G. Kyle, L. Genton, L. Karsegard, D. O. Slosman, and C. Pichard, “Single prediction equation for bioelectrical impedance analysis in adults aged 20–94 years,” Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 248–253, 2001.
- F. Lippl, J. Erdmann, N. Lichter et al., “Relation of plasma obestatin levels to BMI, gender, age and insulin,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 806–812, 2008.
- J. M. Beasley, B. A. Ange, C. A. M. Anderson, E. R. Miller III, J. T. Holbrook, and L. J. Appel, “Characteristics associated with fasting appetite hormones (obestatin, Ghrelin, and Leptin),” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 349–354, 2009.
- S. D. Imahara, S. Jelacic, C. E. Junker, and G. E. O'Keefe, “The influence of gender on human innate immunity,” Surgery, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 275–282, 2005.
- K. Kalantar-Zadeh, C. J. McAllister, R. S. Lehn, G. H. Lee, A. R. Nissenson, and J. D. Kopple, “Effect of malnutrition-inflammation complex syndrome on EPO hyporesponsiveness in maintenance hemodialysis patients,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 761–773, 2003.
- A. J. Agnew, E. Robinson, C. M. McVicar et al., “The gastrointestinal peptide obestatin induces vascular relaxation via specific activation of endothelium-dependent NO signalling,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 327–338, 2012.
- Z.-F. Li, S.-W. Song, Y.-W. Qin et al., “Bolus intravenous injection of obestatin does not change blood pressure level of spontaneously hypertensive rat,” Peptides, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1928–1930, 2009.
- Z.-F. Li, Z.-F. Guo, J. Cao et al., “Plasma ghrelin and obestatin levels are increased in spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Peptides, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 297–300, 2010.
- R. Ross, “Atherosclerosis—an inflammatory disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, pp. 115–126, 1999.
- C. L. Meuwese, S. Snaedal, N. Halbesma et al., “Trimestral variations of C-reactive protein, interleukin-6 and tumour necrosis factor-α are similarly associated with survival in haemodialysis patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1313–1318, 2011.
- N. Noori, C. P. Kovesdy, R. Dukkipati et al., “Racial and ethnic differences in mortality of hemodialysis patients: Role of dietary and nutritional status and inflammation,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 157–167, 2011.
- Z.-F. Guo, X. Zheng, Y.-W. Qin, J.-Q. Hu, S.-P. Chen, and Z. Zhang, “Circulating preprandial ghrelin to obestatin ratio is increased in human obesity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1875–1880, 2007.
- D. Sedlácková, I. Dostálová, V. Hainer, et al., “Simultaneous decrease of plasma obestatin and ghrelin levels after a high-carbohydrate breakfast in healthy women,” Physiological Research, vol. 57, Supplelment 1, pp. S29–S37, 2008.
- J. J. Carrero, A. Nakashima, A. R. Qureshi et al., “Protein-energy wasting modifies the association of ghrelin with inflammation, leptin, and mortality in hemodialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 749–756, 2011.