- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 801214, 8 pages
Effect of Nanoparticles and Environmental Particles on a Cocultures Model of the Air-Blood Barrier
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Research Centre Polaris, University of Milano Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 1, 20126 Milano, Italy
Received 14 August 2012; Revised 14 November 2012; Accepted 15 November 2012
Academic Editor: Kazim Husain
Copyright © 2013 Rossella Bengalli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Maniatis, A. Kotanidou, J. D. Catravas, and S. E. Orfanos, “Endothelial pathomechanisms in acute lung injury,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 49, no. 4–6, pp. 119–133, 2008.
- E. D. Crandall, M. A. Matthay, and S. Garfinkel, “Alveolar epithelial transport: basic science to clinical medicine,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 1021–1029, 2001.
- T. Rogaczewska and W. Matczak, “Evaluation of occupational exposure to cadmium based on air analysis of the work area. I. Cadmium oxide level in the air of work areas in a cadmium and nickel cumulator factory,” Medycyna Pracy, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 273–279, 1985.
- S. Weichenthal, A. Dufresne, and C. Infante-Rivard, “Indoor ultrafine particles and childhood asthma: exploring a potential public health concern,” Indoor Air, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 81–91, 2007.
- S. Lanone, F. Rogerieux, J. Geys et al., “Comparative toxicity of 24 manufactured nanoparticles in human alveolar epithelial and macrophage cell lines,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 6, article 14, 2009.
- D. B. Warheit, R. A. Hoke, C. Finlay, E. M. Donner, K. L. Reed, and C. M. Sayes, “Development of a base set of toxicity tests using ultrafine TiO2 particles as a component of nanoparticle risk management,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 99–110, 2007.
- P. P. Simeonova and A. Erdely, “Engineered nanoparticle respiratory exposure and potential risks for cardiovascular toxicity: predictive tests and biomarkers,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 21, supplement 1, pp. 68–73, 2009.
- J. Kasper, M. I. Hermanns, C. Bantz et al., “Inflammatory and cytotoxic responses of an alveolar-capillary coculture model to silica nanoparticles: comparison with conventional monocultures,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 8, article 6, 2011.
- M. Camatini, V. Corvaja, E. Pezzolato, P. Mantecca, and M. Gualtieri, “PM10-biogenic fraction drives the seasonal variation of proinflammatory response in A549 cells,” Environmental Toxicology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 63–73, 2012.
- M. Gualtieri, A. Franzetti, P. Mantecca et al., “In vitro effects of chemical and microbiological characterized Milan particulate matter,” Procedia Environmental Sciences, vol. 4, pp. 192–197, 2011.
- G. S. Pryhuber, R. Khalak, and Q. Zhao, “Regulation of surfactant proteins A and B by TNF-α and phorbol ester independent of NF-κB,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 2, pp. L289–L295, 1998.
- M. I. Hermanns, R. E. Unger, K. Kehe, K. Peters, and C. J. Kirkpatrick, “Lung epithelial cell lines in coculture with human pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells: development of an alveolo-capillary barrier in vitro,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 736–752, 2004.
- R. E. Unger, V. Krump-Konvalinkova, K. Peters, and C. James Kirkpatrick, “In vitro expression of the endothelial phenotype: comparative study of primary isolated cells and cell lines, including the novel cell line HPMEC-ST1.6R,” Microvascular Research, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 384–397, 2002.
- E. Moschini, M. Gualtieri, D. Gallinotti et al., “Metal oxide nanoparticles induce cytotoxic effects on human lung epithelial cells A549,” Chemical Engineering Transaction, vol. 22, pp. 29–34, 2010.
- K. Bérubé, M. Aufderheide, D. Breheny et al., “In vitro models of inhalation toxicity and disease: the report of a FRAME workshop,” Alternatives to Laboratory Animals, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 89–141, 2009.
- M. I. Hermanns, S. Fuchs, M. Bock et al., “Primary human coculture model of alveolo-capillary unit to study mechanisms of injury to peripheral lung,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 336, no. 1, pp. 91–105, 2009.
- V. Krump-Konvalinkova, F. Bittinger, R. E. Unger, K. Peters, H. A. Lehr, and C. J. Kirkpatrick, “Generation of human pulmonary microvascular endothelial cell lines,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 81, no. 12, pp. 1717–1727, 2001.
- S. Yonemura, M. Itoh, A. Nagafuchi, and S. Tsukita, “Cell-to-cell adherens junction formation and actin filament organization: similarities and differences between non-polarized fibroblasts and polarized epithelial cells,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 127–142, 1995.
- A. S. Fanning, B. J. Jameson, L. A. Jesaitis, and J. M. Anderson, “The tight junction protein ZO-1 establishes a link between the transmembrane protein occludin and the actin cytoskeleton,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 45, pp. 29745–29753, 1998.
- M. Ahamed, M. A. Siddiqui, M. J. Akhtar, I. Ahmad, A. B. Pant, and H. A. Alhadlaq, “Genotoxic potential of copper oxide nanoparticles in human lung epithelial cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 396, no. 2, pp. 578–583, 2010.
- A. M. Studer, L. K. Limbach, L. Van Duc et al., “Nanoparticle cytotoxicity depends on intracellular solubility: comparison of stabilized copper metal and degradable copper oxide nanoparticles,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 169–174, 2010.
- I. L. Hsiao and Y. J. Huang, “Effects of various physicochemical characteristics on the toxicities of ZnO and TiO2 nanoparticles toward human lung epithelial cells,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 409, no. 7, pp. 1219–1228, 2011.
- S. J. Choi, J. M. Oh, and J. H. Choy, “Toxicological effects of inorganic nanoparticles on human lung cancer A549 cells,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 463–471, 2009.
- E. Planus, S. Galiacy, M. Matthay et al., “Role of collagenase in mediating in vitro alveolar epithelial wound repair,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 243–252, 1999.
- J. Burg, V. Krump-Konvalinkova, F. Bittinger, and C. J. Kirkpatrick, “GM-CSF expression by human lung microvascular endothelial cells: in vitro and in vivo findings,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 2, pp. L460–L467, 2002.
- M. A. Matthay, H. G. Folkesson, and C. Clerici, “Lung epithelial fluid transport and the resolution of pulmonary edema,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 569–600, 2002.
- W. S. Cho, R. Duffn, C. A. Poland et al., “Metal oxide nanoparticles induce unique infammatory footprints in the lung: important implications for nanoparticle testing,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 118, no. 12, pp. 1699–1706, 2010.
- W. S. Cho, R. Duffin, M. Bradley et al., “NiO and Co3O4 nanoparticles induce lung DTH-like responses and alveolar lipoproteinosis,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 39, pp. 546–557, 2012.
- A. Montiel-Davalos, J. L. Ventura-Gallegos, E. Alfaro-Moreno et al., “TiO2 nanoparticles induce dysfunction and activation of human endothelial cells,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 25, pp. 920–930, 2012.
- J. Sun, S. Wang, D. Zhao, F. H. Hun, L. Weng, and H. Liu, “Cytotoxicity, permeability, and inflammation of metal oxide nanoparticles in human cardiac microvascular endothelial cells—cytotoxicity, permeability, and inflammation of metal oxide nanoparticles,” Cell Biology and Toxicology, vol. 27, pp. 333–342, 2011.
- B. Fahmy and S. A. Cormier, “Copper oxide nanoparticles induce oxidative stress and cytotoxicity in airway epithelial cells,” Toxicology In Vitro, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1365–1371, 2009.
- M. Papritz, C. Pohl, C. Wübbeke et al., “Side-specific effects by cadmium exposure: apical and basolateral treatment in a coculture model of the blood-air barrier,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 245, no. 3, pp. 361–369, 2010.
- S. F. Van Eeden, W. C. Tan, T. Suwa et al., “Cytokines involved in the systemic inflammatory response induced by exposure to particulate matter air pollutants (PM10),” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 826–830, 2001.
- M. Kolb, P. J. Margetts, D. C. Anthony, F. Pitossi, and J. Gauldie, “Transient expression of IL-1β induces acute lung injury and chronic repair leading to pulmonary fibrosis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 1529–1536, 2001.
- W. Möller, K. Felten, K. Sommerer et al., “Deposition, retention, and translocation of ultrafine particles from the central airways and lung periphery,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 426–432, 2008.
- C. Brandenberger, B. Rothen-Rutishauser, C. Mühlfeld et al., “Effects and uptake of gold nanoparticles deposited at the air-liquid interface of a human epithelial airway model,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 242, no. 1, pp. 56–65, 2010.
- Z. E. Allouni, P. J. Høl, M. A. Cauqui, N. R. Gjerdet, and M. R. Cimpan, “Role of physicochemical characteristics in the uptake of TiO2 nanoparticles by fibroblasts,” Toxicology In Vitro, vol. 26, pp. 469–479, 2012.
- R. P. Singh and P. Ramarao, “Cellular uptake, intracellular trafficking and cytotoxicity of silver nanoparticles,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 213, pp. 249–259, 2012.
- E. Belade, L. Armand, L. Martinon et al., “A comparative transmission electron microscopy study of titamium dioxide and carbon black nanoparticles uptake in human lung epithelial and fibroblast cell lines,” Toxicology In Vitro, vol. 26, pp. 57–66, 2012.
- J. Geys, L. Coenegrachts, J. Vercammen et al., “In vitro study of the pulmonary translocation of nanoparticles: a preliminary study,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 160, no. 3, pp. 218–226, 2006.