- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 807569, 8 pages
Comparison of Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema (Upper Limb Swelling) Prevalence Estimated Using Objective and Subjective Criteria and Relationship with Quality of Life
1School of Health Sciences, Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, Queen Margaret University Drive, Musselburgh, East Lothian EH21 6UU, UK
2Breast Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road South, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 30 May 2013
Academic Editor: Hirotaka Iwase
Copyright © 2013 Catherine Bulley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Armer, M. E. Radina, D. Porock, and S. D. Culbertson, “Predicting breast cancer-related lymphedema using self-reported symptoms,” Nursing Research, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 370–379, 2003.
- P. A. Morgan, P. J. Franks, and C. J. Moffatt, “Health-related quality of life with lymphoedema: a review of the literature,” International Wound Journal, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 38–62, 2005.
- Lymphoedema Framework, Best Practice for the Management of Lymphoedema. International Consensus, MEP Ltd, London, UK, 2006.
- P. T. Truong, I. A. Olivotto, T. J. Whelan, and M. Levine, “Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 16. Locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapy,” CMAJ, vol. 170, no. 8, pp. 1263–1273, 2004.
- R. Gärtner, M.-B. Jensen, L. Kronborg, M. Ewertz, H. Kehlet, and N. Kroman, “Self-reported arm-lymphedema and functional impairment after breast cancer treatment—a nationwide study of prevalence and associated factors,” Breast, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 506–515, 2010.
- T. S. Lee, S. L. Kilbreath, K. M. Refshauge, R. D. Herbert, and J. M. Beith, “Prognosis of the upper limb following surgery and radiation for breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 19–37, 2008.
- J. Armer, M. R. Fu, J. M. Wainstock, E. Zagar, and L. K. Jacobs, “Lymphedema following breast cancer treatment, including sentinel lymph node biopsy,” Lymphology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 73–91, 2004.
- S. A. McLaughlin, M. J. Wright, K. T. Morris et al., “Prevalence of lymphedema in women with breast cancer 5 years after sentinel lymph node biopsy or axillary dissection: patient perceptions and precautionary behaviors,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 32, pp. 5220–5226, 2008.
- B. H. Cornish, B. E. Lingwood, and L. C. Ward, “Can bioimpedance spectroscopy (BIS) tell us about the form of lymphoedema?” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Electrical Bioimpedance and the 8th Conference on Electrical Impedance Tomography (ICEBI '07), pp. 795–798, September 2007.
- S. Hayes, B. Cornish, and B. Newman, “Comparison of methods to diagnose lymphoedema among breast cancer survivors: 6-month follow-up,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 221–226, 2005.
- J. M. Armer and B. R. Stewart, “A comparison of four diagnostic criteria for lymphedema in a post-breast cancer population,” Lymphatic Research and Biology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 208–217, 2005.
- A. P. Sander, N. M. Hajer, K. Hemenway, and A. C. Miller, “Upper-extremity volume measurements in women with lymphedema: a comparison of measurements obtained via water displacement with geometrically determined volume,” Physical Therapy, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1201–1212, 2002.
- J. R. Karges, B. E. Mark, S. J. Stikeleather, and T. W. Worrell, “Concurrent validity of upper-extremity volume estimates: comparison of calculated volume derived from girth measurements and water displacement volume,” Physical Therapy, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 134–145, 2003.
- R. L. Thomas-MacLean, T. Hack, W. Kwan, A. Towers, B. Miedema, and A. Tilley, “Arm morbidity and disability after breast cancer: new directions for care,” Oncology Nursing Forum, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2008.
- J. Armer, B. Stewart, and R. Shook, “30-month post-breast cancer treatment lymphoedema,” Journal of Lymphoedema, vol. 4, pp. 14–18, 2009.
- V. Velanovich and W. Szymanski, “Quality of life of breast cancer patients with lymphedema,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 184–188, 1999.
- S. S. Mak, K. F. Mo, J. J. S. Suen, S. L. Chan, W. L. Ma, and W. Yeo, “Lymphedema and quality of life in Chinese women after treatment for breast cancer,” European Journal of Oncology Nursing, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 110–115, 2009.
- S. M. Beaulac, L. A. McNair, T. E. Scott, W. W. LaMorte, and M. T. Kavanah, “Lymphedema and quality of life in survivors of early-stage breast cancer,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 137, no. 11, pp. 1253–1257, 2002.
- K. Webster, D. Cella, and K. Yost, “The Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) Measurement System: Properties, applications, and interpretation,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 79, 2003.
- M. J. Brady, D. F. Cella, F. Mo et al., “Reliability and validity of the functional assessment of cancer therapy-breast quality-of-life instrument,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 974–986, 1997.
- S. Coster, K. Poole, and L. J. Fallowfield, “The validation of a quality of life scale to assess the impact of arm morbidity in breast cancer patients post-operatively,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 273–282, 2001.
- T. Deltombe, J. Jamart, S. Recloux et al., “Reliability and limits of agreement of circumferential, water displacement, and optoelectronic volumetry in the measurement of upper limb lymphedema,” Lymphology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2007.
- S. A. Czerniec, L. C. Ward, K. M. Refshauge et al., “Assessment of breast cancer-related arm lymphedemacomparison of physical measurement methods and self-report,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 54–62, 2010.
- J. S. Pallant, SPSS Survival Manual, Open University Press, Maidenhead, UK, 4th edition, 2010.
- D. G. Altman and J. M. Bland, “Diagnostic tests 1: sensitivity and specificity,” British Medical Journal, vol. 308, no. 6943, p. 1552, 1994.
- K. L. Bland, R. Perczyk, W. Du et al., “Can a practicing surgeon detect early lymphedema reliably?” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 186, no. 5, pp. 509–513, 2003.
- G. Q. Della Rovere, I. Ahmad, P. Singh, S. Ashley, I. R. Daniels, and P. Mortimer, “An audit of the incidence of arm lymphoedema after prophylactic level I/II axillary dissection without division of the pectoralis minor muscle,” Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 158–161, 2003.
- J. M. Armer and M. R. Fu, “Age differences in post-breast cancer lymphedema signs and symptoms,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 200–207, 2005.
- International Society of Lymphology, “The diagnosis and treatment of peripheral lymphoedema: consensus document,” Lymphology, vol. 36, no. 36, pp. 84–91, 2003.