- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 808391, 8 pages
Healthcare Utilization and Costs of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Medicaid
1U.S. Health Outcomes, GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
2Pharma, Truven Health Analytics Inc., Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
3Pharma, Truven Health Analytics Inc., Washington, DC 20008, USA
4European Market Access at Critical Disease Business Unit, GlaxoSmithKline, London TW8 9GS, UK
5Global Medical Affairs, GlaxoSmithKline, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Received 26 June 2012; Revised 27 October 2012; Accepted 5 November 2012
Academic Editor: Veena K. Ranganath
Copyright © 2013 Hong J. Kan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Agmon-Levin, M. Mosca, M. Petri, and Y. Shoenfeld, “Systemic lupus erythematosus one disease or many?” Autoimmunity Reviews, no. 8, pp. 593–595, 2012.
- C. G. Helmick, D. T. Felson, R. C. Lawrence et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part I,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2008.
- A. Naleway, M. E. Davis, R. T. Greenlee, D. A. Wilson, and D. J. McCarty, “Epidemiology of systemic lupus erythematosus in rural Wisconsin,” Lupus, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 862–866, 2005.
- M. B. Nichol, S. Shi, T. K. Knight, D. J. Wallace, and M. H. Weisman, “Eligibility, utilization and costs in a California Medicaid lupus population,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 996–1003, 2004.
- G. Murdaca, B. M. Colombo, and F. Puppo, “Emerging biological drugs: a new therapeutic approach for systemic lupus erythematosus. An update upon efficacy and adverse events,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 2011.
- G. Carls, T. Li, P. Panopalis et al., “Direct and indirect costs to employers of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus with and without nephritis,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 66–79, 2009.
- T. Li, G. S. Carls, P. Panopalis, S. Wang, T. B. Gibson, and R. Z. Goetzel, “Long-term medical costs and resource utilization in systemic lupus erythematosus and lupus nephritis: a five-year analysis of a large medicaid population,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 755–763, 2009.
- R. A. Deyo, D. C. Cherkin, and M. A. Ciol, “Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 613–619, 1992.
- N. Ruperto, L. M. Hanrahan, G. S. Alarcón, et al., “International census for a definition of disease flare in lupus,” Lupus, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 453–462, 2011.
- C. Gordon, N. Sutcliffe, J. Skan, T. Stoll, and D. A. Isenberg, “Definition and treatment of lupus flares measured by the BILAG index,” Rheumatology, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1372–1379, 2003.
- C. Garris, P. Jhingran, N. M. Engel-Nitz, et al., “Assessing systematic Lupus erythematosus disease severity and disease flares: development of a claims-based algorithm,” in Proceedings of the ACR/ARHP Annual Scientific Meeting 2010, Atlanta, Ga, USA, November 2010.
- N. Engel-Nitz, J. Burke, C. Garris, P. Jhingran, G. Dennis, and D. Bass, “Distinguishing levels of disease flare in patients with systemic Lupus erythematosus using administrative claims data,” in Proceedings of the ACR/ARHP Annual Scientific Meeting 2010, Atlanta, Ga, USA, November 2010.
- P. R. Rosenbaum and D. B. Rubin, “The central role of the propensity score in observational studies for causal effects,” Biometrika, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 41–55, 1983.
- D. E. Ho, K. Imai, G. King, and E. A. Stuart, “Matching as nonparametric preprocessing for reducing model dependence in parametric causal inference,” Political Analysis, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 199–236, 2007.
- SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- StataCorp LP, College Station, TX, USA.
- T. Y. Zhu, L. S. Tam, and E. K. Li, “Cost-of-illness studies in systemic lupus erythematosus: a systemic review,” Arthristis Care & Research, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 751–760, 2011.
- C. Garris, P. M. Jhingran, N. M. Engel-Nitz et al., “Cost impact of lupus in a large US managed care health plan,” in Proceedings of the Annual European Congress of Rheumatology (EULAR '10), Rome, Italy, June 2010.