- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 810423, 8 pages
Curcumin Inhibits Tumor Growth and Angiogenesis in an Orthotopic Mouse Model of Human Pancreatic Cancer
1Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori “Fondazione G. Pascale”, IRCCS, Via Mariano Semmola, 80131 Naples, Italy
2Istituto di Endocrinologia e Oncologia Sperimentale del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare “L. Califano”, Università degli Studi di Napoli “Federico II”, Via Pansini 5, 80131 Napoli, Italy
Received 25 July 2013; Revised 7 October 2013; Accepted 8 October 2013
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2013 Sabrina Bimonte et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward et al., “Cancer statistics, 2006,” Ca: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 106–130, 2006.
- J. P. Duffy, G. Eibl, H. A. Reber, and O. J. Hines, “Influence of hypoxia and neoangiogenesis on the growth of pancreatic cancer,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 2, article no. 12, 2003.
- H. A. Burris III, M. J. Moore, J. Andersen et al., “Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as first-line therapy for patients with advanced pancreas cancer: a randomized trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 2403–2413, 1997.
- C. D. Lao, M. T. Ruffin IV, D. Normolle et al., “Dose escalation of a curcuminoid formulation,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, article 10, 2006.
- B. B. Aggarwal, “Nuclear factor-κB: the enemy within,” Cancer Cell, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 203–208, 2004.
- A. Arlt, A. Gehrz, S. Müerköster et al., “Role of NF-κB and Akt/PI3K in the resistance of pancreatic carcinoma cell lines against gemcitabine-induced cell death,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 21, pp. 3243–3251, 2003.
- S. Liptay, C. K. Weber, L. Ludwig, M. Wagner, G. Adler, and R. M. Schmid, “Mitogenic and antiapoptotic role of constitutive NF-κB/Rel activity in pancreatic cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 735–746, 2003.
- S. Fujioka, G. M. Sclabas, C. Schmidt et al., “Function of nuclear factor κB in pancreatic cancer metastasis,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 346–354, 2003.
- F. R. Greten, C. K. Weber, T. F. Greten et al., “Stat3 and NF-κB activation prevents apoptosis in pancreatic carcinogenesis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 2052–2063, 2002.
- H. Q. Xiong, J. L. Abbruzzese, E. Lin, L. Wang, L. Zheng, and K. Xie, “NF-κB activity blockade impairs the angiogenic potential of human pancreatic cancer cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 181–188, 2004.
- M. Yebra, E. J. Filardo, E. M. Bayna, E. Kawahara, J. C. Becker, and D. A. Cheresh, “Induction of carcinoma cell migration on vitronectin by NF-κB-dependent gene expression,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 841–850, 1995.
- J. L. Arbiser, N. Klauber, R. Rohan et al., “Curcumin is an in vivo inhibitor of angiogenesis,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 376–383, 1998.
- D. Thaloor, A. K. Singh, G. S. Sidhu, P. V. Prasad, H. K. Kleinman, and R. K. Maheshwari, “Inhibition of angiogenic differentiation of human umbilical vein endothelial cells by curcumin,” Cell Growth and Differentiation, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 305–312, 1998.
- R. Mohan, J. Sivak, P. Ashton et al., “Curcuminoids inhibit the angiogenic response stimulated by fibroblast growth factor-2, including expression of matrix metalloproteinase gelatinase B,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 14, pp. 10405–10412, 2000.
- L. Li, B. B. Aggarwal, S. Shishodia, J. Abbruzzese, and R. Kurzrock, “Nuclear factor-κB and IκB are constitutively active in human pancreatic cells, and their down-regulation by curcumin (Diferuloylmethane) is associated with the suppression of proliferation and the induction of apoptosis,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 2351–2362, 2004.
- L. Li, F. S. Braiteh, and R. Kurzrock, “Liposome-encapsulated curcumin: in vitro and in vivo effects on proliferation, apoptosis, signaling, and angiogenesis,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 1322–1331, 2005.
- A. B. Kunnumakkara, S. Guha, S. Krishnan, P. Diagaradjane, J. Gelovani, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Curcumin potentiates antitumor activity of gemcitabine in an orthotopic model of pancreatic cancer through suppression of proliferation, angiogenesis, and inhibition of nuclear factor-κB-regulated gene products,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 3853–3861, 2007.
- M. M. Chaturvedi, A. Mukhopadhyay, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Assay for redox-sensitive transcription factor,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 319, pp. 585–602, 2000.
- A. Mukhopadhyay, S. Banerjee, L. J. Stafford, C. Xia, M. Liu, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Curcumin-induced suppression of cell proliferation correlates with down-regulation of cyclin D1 expression and CDK4-mediated retinoblastoma protein phosphorylation,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 57, pp. 8852–8861, 2002.
- B. B. Aggarwal, A. Kumar, and A. C. Bharti, “Anticancer potential of curcumin: preclinical and clinical studies,” Anticancer Research, vol. 23, no. 1A, pp. 363–398, 2003.