- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 810617, 8 pages
Circulation of HIV-1 CRF02_AG among MSM Population in Central Italy: A Molecular Epidemiology-Based Study
1Department of Infectious Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Rome, Italy
2HIV/AIDS Unit, San Gallicano Dermatological Institute (IRCCS), Rome, Italy
3University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
4National Institute for Infectious Diseases L. Spallanzani, Rome, Italy
5Department of Clinical Sciences, L. Sacco, University of Milan, Italy
Received 10 August 2013; Revised 22 October 2013; Accepted 23 October 2013
Academic Editor: Marcelo A. Soares
Copyright © 2013 Massimo Giuliani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Barin, A.-M. Courouce, J. Pillonel, and L. Buzelay, “Increasing diversity of HIV-1(M) serotypes in French blood donors over a 10-year period (1985–1995),” AIDS, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1503–1508, 1997.
- P. J. Weidle, C. E. Ganea, K. L. Irwin et al., “Presence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1, group M, non-B subtypes, Bronx, New York: a sentinel site for monitoring HIV genetic diversity in the United States,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 470–475, 2000.
- S. Yerly, S. Vora, P. Rizzardi et al., “Acute HIV infection: impact on the spread of HIV and transmission of drug resistance,” AIDS, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 2287–2292, 2001.
- P. Frange, J. Galimand, N. Vidal et al., “New and old complex recombinant HIV-1 strains among patients with primary infection in 1996–2006 in France: the French ANRS CO06 Primo Cohort Study,” Retrovirology, vol. 5, article 69, 2008.
- A. Holguín, M. de Mulder, G. Yebra, M. López, and V. Soriano, “Increase of non-B subtypes and recombinants among newly diagnosed HIV-1 native spaniards and immigrants in Spain,” Current HIV Research, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 327–334, 2008.
- A. Lai, C. Riva, A. Marconi et al., “Changing patterns in HIV-1 non-B clade prevalence and diversity in Italy over three decades,” HIV Medicine, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 593–602, 2010.
- C. A. Brennan, J. Yamaguchi, S. G. Devare, G. A. Foster, and S. L. Stramer, “Expanded evaluation of blood donors in the United States for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 non-B subtypes and antiretroviral drug-resistant strains: 2005 through 2007,” Transfusion, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 2707–2712, 2010.
- J. K. Carr, A. Osinusi, C. P. Flynn, B. L. Gilliam, V. Maheshwari, and R. Y. Zhao, “Two independent epidemics of HIV in Maryland,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 297–303, 2010.
- J. Hemelaar, E. Gouws, P. D. Ghys, and S. Osmanov, “Global trends in molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 during 2000–2007,” AIDS, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 679–689, 2011.
- H. D. Ndiaye, E. Tchiakpe, N. Vidal et al., “HIV type 1 subtype C remains the predominant subtype in men having sex with men in senegal,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1265–1272, 2013.
- B. Abecasis, A. M. J. Wensing, D. Paraskevis, et al., “HIV-1 subtype distribution and its demographic determinants in newly diagnosed patients in Europe suggest highly compartmentalized epidemics,” Retrovirology, vol. 10, article 7, 2013.
- M. Ciccozzi, M. M. Santoro, M. Giovanetti, L. Andrissi, A. Bertoli, and M. Ciotti, “HIV-1 non-B subtypes in Italy: a growing trend,” The New Microbiologica, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 377–386, 2012.
- C. Balotta, P. Bagnarelli, C. Riva et al., “Comparable biological and molecular determinants in HIV type 1-infected long-term nonprogressors and recently infected individuals,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 337–341, 1997.
- M. Ciccozzi, S. Montieri, M. Salemi et al., “An outbreak of HIV-1 subtype G among Italian injecting drug users,” AIDS, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1213–1215, 2007.
- L. Buonaguro, M. Tagliamonte, M. L. Tornesello et al., “Screening of HIV-1 isolates by reverse heteroduplex mobility assay and identification of non-B subtypes in Italy,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 1295–1306, 2004.
- A. Navarra, N. Orchi, A. Palummieri, et al., “Increasing trend in non-B subtypes among Italians newly diagnosed with HIV in Rome, 2004–2009,” in Proceedings of the European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (ESCAIDE '11), Stockholm, Sweden, November 2011.
- M. M. Santoro, C. Alteri, L. Ronga et al., “Comparative analysis of drug resistance among B and the most prevalent non-B HIV type 1 subtypes (C, F, and CRF02_AG) in Italy,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1285–1293, 2012.
- L. Monno, G. Brindicci, S. Lo Caputo et al., “HIV-1 subtypes and Circulating Recombinant Forms (CRFs) from HIV-infected patients residing in two regions of central and southern Italy,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 483–490, 2005.
- F. Tramuto, F. Bonura, A. M. Perna et al., “Genetic diversity of HIV-1 non-B strains in Sicily: evidence of intersubtype recombinants by sequence analysis of gag, pol, and env genes,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1131–1138, 2007.
- L. Bracciale, M. Colafigli, M. Zazzi et al., “Prevalence of transmitted HIV-1 drug resistance in HIV-1-infected patients in Italy: evolution over 12 years and predictors,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 607–615, 2009.
- M. Giuliani, S. Montieri, G. Palamara et al., “Non-B HIV type 1 subtypes among men who have sex with men in Rome, Italy,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 157–164, 2009.
- C. Riva, A. Lai, I. Caramma et al., “Transmitted HIV type 1 drug resistance and non-B subtypes prevalence among seroconverters and newly diagnosed patients from 1992 to 2005 in Italy,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2010.
- C. Torti, G. Lapadula, I. Izzo et al., “Heterogeneity and penetration of HIV-1 non-subtype B viruses in an Italian province: public health implications,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 1298–1307, 2010.
- J. Elford, G. Bolding, M. Davis, L. Sherr, and G. Hart, “Web-based behavioral surveillance among men who have sex with men: a comparison of online and offline samples in London, UK,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 421–426, 2004.
- C. H. Mercer, K. A. Fenton, K. Wellings, A. J. Copas, B. Erens, and A. M. Johnson, “Sex partner acquisition while overseas: results from a British national probability survey,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 517–522, 2007.
- F. Ceccherini-Silberstein, F. Erba, F. Gago et al., “Identification of the minimal conserved structure of HIV-1 protease in the presence and absence of drug pressure,” AIDS, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 11–19, 2004.
- G. Zehender, E. Ebranati, F. Bernini et al., “Phylogeography and epidemiological history of West Nile virus genotype 1a in Europe and the Mediterranean basin,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 646–653, 2011.
- M. Ciccozzi, G. Madeddu, A. Lo Presti et al., “HIV type 1 origin and transmission dynamics among different risk groups in sardinia: molecular epidemiology within the close boundaries of an Italian island,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 404–410, 2013.
- R. E. Kass and A. E. Raftery, “Bayes factors,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 90, pp. 773–795, 1995.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- UNAIDS/WHO, “Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic 2008: Executive Summary,” August 2010, http://data.unaids.org/pub/Global Report/2008/JC1511_GR08_ExecutiveSummary_en.pdf.
- F. F. Hamers and A. M. Downs, “The changing face of the HIV epidemic in western Europe: what are the implications for public health policies?” The Lancet, vol. 364, pp. 83–94, 2004.
- I. A. V. Jansen, R. B. Geskus, U. Davidovich, et al., “Ongoing HIV-1 transmission among men who have sex with men in Amsterdam: a 25-year prospective cohort study,” AIDS, vol. 25, pp. 493–501, 2011.
- C. Semaille, F. Cazein, F. Lot, et al., “Recently acquired HIV Infection in men who have sex with men (MSM) in France, 2003–2008,” Euro Surveillance, vol. 14, no. 48, article 19425, 2009.
- M. Giuliani, A. Di Carlo, G. Palamara et al., “Increased HIV incidence among men who have sex with men in Rome,” AIDS, vol. 19, pp. 1429–1431, 2005.
- B. Suligoi, L. Camoni, S. Boros, et al., “Aggiornamento delle nuove diagnosi da HIV e dei casi di AIDS in Italia al 31 dicembre 2011,” Notiziario Dell'Istituto Superiore di Sanità, vol. 25, supplement 1, no. 10, 2012.
- HIV DATABASE, http://www.hiv.lanl.gov/content/index.
- P. R. Walker, O. G. Pybus, A. Rambaut, et al., “Comparative population dynamics of HIV-1 subtypes B and C: subtype-specific differences in patterns of epidemic growth,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 199–208, 2005.
- S. Hué, D. Pillay, J. P. Clewley, and O. G. Pybus, “Genetic analysis reveals the complex structure of HIV-1 transmission within defined risk groups,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 4425–4429, 2005.
- F. Lewis, G. J. Hughes, A. Rambaut, A. Pozniak, and A. J. Leigh Brown, “Episodic sexual transmission of HIV revealed by molecular phylodynamics,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, article e50, pp. 0392–0402, 2008.
- G. Bello, W. A. Eyer-Silva, J. C. Couto-Fernandez et al., “Demographic history of HIV-1 subtypes B and F in Brazil,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 263–270, 2007.
- T. de Oliveira, K. Deforche, S. Cassol et al., “An automated genotyping system for analysis of HIV-1 and other microbial sequences,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 19, pp. 3797–3800, 2005.
- A. N. Phillips, V. Cambiano, F. Nakagawa, et al., “Increased HIV incidence in men who have sex with men despite high levels of ART-induced viral suppression: analysis of an extensively documented epidemic,” PLOS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, Article ID e55312, 2013.
- L. Buonaguro, M. Tagliamonte, M. L. Tornesello, et al., “Genetic and phylogenetic evolution of HIV-1 in a low subtype heterogeneity epidemic: the Italian example,” Retrovirology, vol. 4, article 34, 2007.
- M. M. Thomson and R. Nájera, “Travel and the introduction of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 non-B subtype genetic forms into Western countries,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1732–1737, 2001.
- P. J. Easterbrook, M. Smith, J. Mullen et al., “Impact of HIV-1 viral subtype on disease progression and response to antiretroviral therapy,” Journal of the International AIDS Society, vol. 13, no. 1, article 4, 2010.
- M. Peeters, C. Toure-Kane, and J. N. Nkengasong, “Genetic diversity of HIV in Africa: impact on diagnosis, treatment, vaccine development and trials,” AIDS, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. 2547–2560, 2003.