- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 810734, 11 pages
Parthenium hysterophorus: A Probable Source of Anticancer, Antioxidant and Anti-HIV Agents
1Department of Biochemistry, University of Allahabad, Allahabad 211002, India
2Cancer Pharmacology Division, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Jammu 180001, India
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 3 October 2013
Academic Editor: Andrei Surguchov
Copyright © 2013 Shashank Kumar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Newman, G. M. Cragg, and K. M. Snader, “Natural products as sources of new drugs over the period 1981–2002,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 1022–1037, 2003.
- A. Mishra, A. K. Sharma, S. Kumar, A. K. Saxena, and A. K. Pandey, “Bauhinia variegata leaf extracts exhibit considerable antibacterial, antioxidant and anticancer activities,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 915436, 10 pages, 2013.
- T. Yoshikawa, S. Toyokuni, Y. Yamamoto, and Y. Naito, “Free radicals in chemistry, biology and medicine,” OICA International, London, UK, 2000.
- S. Kumar and A. K. pandey, “Antioxidant, lipo-protective and antibacterial activities of phytoconstituents present in Solanum xanthocarpum root,” International Review of Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 42–47, 2012.
- S. Kumar and A. K. Pandey, “Chemistry and biological activities of flavonoids: an overview,” The Scientific World Journal, Article ID 162750, In press.
- S. Elmore, “Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 495–516, 2007.
- D. W. Nicholson, “Caspase structure, proteolytic substrates, and function during apoptotic cell death,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1028–1042, 1999.
- B. Spee, M. D. B. Jonkers, B. Arends, G. R. Rutteman, J. Rothuizen, and L. C. Penning, “Specific down-regulation of XIAP with RNA interference enhances the sensitivity of canine tumor cell-lines to TRAIL and doxorubicin,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 5, article 34, 2006.
- X. Saelens, N. Festjens, L. Vande Walle, M. Van Gurp, G. Van Loo, and P. Vandenabeele, “Toxic proteins released from mitochondria in cell death,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 16, pp. 2861–2874, 2004.
- A. Mukherjee, S. Hazra, S. Dutta et al., “Antitumor efficacy and apoptotic activity of substituted chloroalkyl 1H-benz[de]isoquinoline-1,3-diones: a new class of potential antineoplastic agents,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 434–442, 2011.
- D. W. Lee, J. K. Andersen, and D. Kaur, “Iron dysregulation and neurodegeneration: the molecular connection,” Molecular Interventions, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 89–97, 2006.
- O. Kakhlon and Z. I. Cabantchik, “The labile iron pool: characterization, measurement, and participation in cellular processes,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1037–1046, 2002.
- Z. Wang and T. G. Rossman, “The carcinogenicity of arsenic,” in Toxicology of Metals, T. Chang, Ed., pp. 221–229, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1996.
- R. J. Pomerantz and D. L. Horn, “Twenty years of therapy for HIV-1 infection,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 867–873, 2003.
- P. Cos, L. Maes, D. Vanden Berghe, N. Hermans, L. Pieters, and A. Vlietinck, “Plant substances as anti-HIV agents selected according to their putative mechanism of action,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 284–293, 2004.
- J. D. Siliciano, J. Kajdas, D. Finzi et al., “Long-term follow-up studies confirm the stability of the latent reservoir for HIV-1 in resting CD4+ T cells,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 727–728, 2003.
- J. Knox, D. Jaggi, and M. S. Paul, “Population dynamics of Parthenium hysterophorus (Asteraceae) and its biological suppression through Cassia occidentalis (Caesalpiniaceae),” Turkish Journal of Botany, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 111–119, 2011.
- S. Kumar, A. Mishra, and A. K. Pandey, “Antioxidant mediated protective effect of Parthenium hysterophorus against oxidative damage using in vitro models,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 13, article 120, 2013.
- A. K. Pandey, “Anti-staphylococcal activity of a pan-tropical aggressive and obnoxious weed Parthenium hysterophorus: an in vitro study,” National Academy Science Letters, vol. 30, no. 11-12, pp. 383–386, 2007.
- M. C. Recio, R. M. Giner, L. Uriburu et al., “In vivo activity of pseudoguaianolide sesquiterpene lactones in acute and chronic inflammation,” Life Sciences, vol. 66, no. 26, pp. 2509–2518, 2000.
- A. Ramos, R. Rivero, A. Visozo, J. Piloto, and A. García, “Parthenin, a sesquiterpene lactone of Parthenium hysterophorus L. is a high toxicity clastogen,” Mutation Research, vol. 514, no. 1-2, pp. 19–27, 2002.
- S. Kumar, A. P. Singh, G. Nair et al., “Impact of Parthenium hysterophorus leaf extracts on the fecundity, fertility and behavioural response of Aedes aegypti L,” Parasitology Research, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 853–859, 2011.
- B. Das, B. Venkataiah, and A. Kashinatham, “(+)-Syringaresinol from Parthenium hysterophorus,” Fitoterapia, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 101–102, 1999.
- A. K. Mishra, A. Mishra, H. K. Kehri, B. Sharma, and A. K. Pandey, “Inhibitory activity of Indian spice plant Cinnamomum zeylanicum extracts against Alternaria solani and Curvularia lunata, the pathogenic dematiaceous moulds,” Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, vol. 8, article 9, 2009.
- P. Skehan, R. Storeng, D. Scudiero et al., “New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer-drug screening,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 82, no. 13, pp. 1107–1112, 1990.
- G. H. Tian, J. L. Meng, and Y. H. Xu, “Study on polysaccharides extraction and determination from wild and growing Polystictus versicolor fruit bodies,” Journal of Hanzhong Teacher's College, vol. 21, pp. 68–72, 2003.
- S. Desagher, A. Osen-Sand, A. Nichols et al., “Bid-induced conformational change of Bax is responsible for mitochondrial cytochrome c release during apoptosis,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 144, no. 5, pp. 891–901, 1999.
- D. J. Waxman and P. S. Schwartz, “Harnessing apoptosis for improved anticancer gene therapy,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 24, pp. 8563–8572, 2003.
- T. C. P. Dinis, V. M. C. Madeira, and L. M. Almeida, “Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengers,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 315, no. 1, pp. 161–169, 1994.
- S. Kumar, U. K. Sharma, A. K. Sharma, and A. K. Pandey, “Protective efficacy of Solanum xanthocarpum root extracts against free radical damage: phytochemical analysis and antioxidant effect,” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 171–178, 2012.
- S. M. Klein, G. Cohen, and A. I. Cederbaum, “Production of formaldehyde during metabolism of dimethyl sulfoxide by hydroxyl radical generating systems,” Biochemistry, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 6006–6012, 1981.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Protection against lipid peroxidation,” in Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, Japan Scientific Societies Press, Tokyo, Japan, 2nd edition, 1989.
- M. Oyaizu, “Studies on products of browning reactions: antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine,” Japanese Journal of Nutrition, vol. 44, pp. 307–315, 1986.
- A. K. Pandey, A. K. Mishra, A. Mishra, S. Kumar, and A. Chandra, “Therapeutic potential of C. zeylanicum extracts: an antifungal and antioxidant perspective,” International Journal of Biological and Medical Research, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 228–233, 2010.
- Reverse Transcriptase Assay, Colorimetric kit, Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Roche Applied Science, Mannheim, Germany.
- A. I. Bush and C. C. Curtain, “Twenty years of metallo-neurobiology: where to now?” European Biophysics Journal, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 241–245, 2008.
- S. H. Kaufmann and W. C. Earnshaw, “Induction of apoptosis by cancer chemotherapy,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 256, no. 1, pp. 42–49, 2000.
- Breast cancer, 2010, http://rokocancer.org/aboutcancer.
- M. Verma, S. K. Singh, S. Bhushan et al., “In vitro cytotoxic potential of Polyalthia longifolia on human cancer cell lines and induction of apoptosis through mitochondrial-dependent pathway in HL-60 cells,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 2008.
- Z. Wang, S. Wang, Y. Dai, and S. Grant, “Bryostatin 1 increases 1-β-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine-induced cytochrome c release and apoptosis in human leukemia cells ectopically expressing Bcl-xL,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 301, no. 2, pp. 568–577, 2002.
- K. S. Verma, S. Asima, N. rajesh, R. purohit, S. singh, and M. Himata, “In vitro cytotoxicity of Emblica officinalis against different human cancer cell lines,” Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 77–78, 2012.
- K. M. Deck, A. Vasanthakumar, S. A. Anderson et al., “Evidence that phosphorylation of iron regulatory protein 1 at serine 138 destabilizes the [4Fe-4S] cluster in cytosolic aconitase by enhancing 4Fe-3Fe cycling,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 19, pp. 12701–12709, 2009.
- C. W. Siah, D. Trinder, and J. K. Olynyk, “Iron overload,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 358, no. 1-2, pp. 24–36, 2005.
- J. Vachtenheim, “Occurrence of ras mutations in human lung cancer,” Neoplasma, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 145–149, 1997.
- K. V. Kowdley, “Iron, hemochromatosis, and hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 127, pp. S79–S86, 2004.
- M. Valko, H. Morris, M. Mazúr, P. Rapta, and R. F. Bilton, “Oxygen free radical generating mechanisms in the colon: do the semiquinones of vitamin K play a role in the aetiology of colon cancer?” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1527, no. 3, pp. 161–166, 2001.
- A. Mishra, S. Kumar, A. Bhargava, B. Sharma, and A. K. Pandey, “Studies on in vitro antioxidant and antistaphylococcal activities of some important medicinal plants,” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 2011.
- S. Kumar, A. Gupta, and A. K. Pandey, “Calotropis procera root extract has the capability to combat free radical mediated damage,” ISRN Pharmacology, vol. 2013, Article ID 691372, 8 pages, 2013.
- A. Mishra, S. Kumar, and A. K. Pandey, “Scientific validation of the medicinal efficacy of Tinospora cordifolia,” The Scientific World Journal, Article ID 292934, In Press.
- B. M. Olabinri, O. O. Odedire, M. T. Olaleye, A. S. Adekunle, L. O. Ehigie, and P. F. Olabinri, “In vitro evaluation of hydroxyl and nitric oxide radical scavenging activites of artemether,” Research Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 102–105, 2010.
- N. Stadler, R. A. Lindner, and M. J. Davies, “Direct detection and quantification of transition metal ions in human atherosclerotic plaques: evidence for the presence of elevated levels of iron and copper,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 949–954, 2004.
- B. Halliwell, “Reactive oxygen species in living systems: source, biochemistry, and role in human disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 14S–22S, 1991.
- M. Dizdaroglu, P. Jaruga, M. Birincioglu, and H. Rodriguez, “Free radical-induced damage to DNA: mechanisms and measurement,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1102–1115, 2002.
- S. Kumar and A. K. Pandey, “Phenolic content, reducing power and membrane protective activities of Solanum xanthocarpum root extracts,” Vegetos, vol. 26, pp. 301–307, 2013.
- A. K. Pandey, A. K. Mishra, and A. Mishra, “Antifungal and antioxidative potential of oil and extracts derived from leaves of indian spice plant Cinnamomum tamala,” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 137–142, 2012.