- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 814635, 9 pages
Bovine Papillomavirus Type 2 Infection and a Series of Mesenchymal Tumors of the Urinary Bladder in Cattle
1Department of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Productions, Naples University Federico II, Via F. Delpino, 80137 Naples, Italy
2Department of Biology, Naples University Federico II, Via Mezzocannone 16, 80134 Naples, Italy
3Instituto Butantan, Laboratório de Genética, Avenida Vital Brazil 1500, 05503-900 São Paulo, Brazil
4Department of Biopathological Sciences and Hygiene of Animal and Alimentary Productions, University of Perugia, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Via San Costanza, 4-06126 Perugia, Italy
Received 28 March 2013; Accepted 16 May 2013
Academic Editor: Lubna Nasir
Copyright © 2013 Manuela Martano et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. G. Maxie and S. J. Newman, “The urinary system,” in Jubb, Kennedy, and Palmer's Pathology of Domestic Animals, M. G. Maxie, Ed., pp. 518–520, Saunders, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2007.
- A. M. Pamukcu, J. M. Price, and G. T. Bryan, “Naturally occurring and bracken fern induced bovine urinary bladder tumors. Clinical and morphological characteristics,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 110–122, 1976.
- A. Gava, D. Da Silva Neves, D. Gava, T. De Moura Saliba, A. L. Schild, and F. Riet-Correa, “Bracken fern (Pteridium aquilinum) poisoning in cattle in Southern Brazil,” Veterinary and Human Toxicology, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 362–365, 2002.
- S. Roperto, G. Borzacchiello, R. Brun et al., “A review of bovine urothelial tumours and tumour-like lesions of the urinary bladder,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 142, no. 2-3, pp. 95–108, 2010.
- T. Carvalho, C. Pinto, and M. C. Peleteiro, “Urinary bladder lesions in bovine enzootic haematuria,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 336–346, 2006.
- I. A. Evans and J. Mason, “Carcinogenic activity of bracken,” Nature, vol. 208, no. 5013, pp. 913–914, 1965.
- I. Hirono, “Carcinogenic principles isolated from bracken fern,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 1986.
- M. Shahin, B. L. Smith, and A. S. Prakash, “Bracken carcinogens in the human diet,” Mutation Research, vol. 443, no. 1-2, pp. 69–79, 1999.
- R. M. Gil da Costa, P. A. Oliveira, M. M. S. M. Bastes, et al., “Ptaquiloside-induced early-stage urothelial lesions show increased cell proliferation and intact β-Catenin and E-Cadherin expression,” Enviromental Toxicology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1–5, 2012.
- M. Shahin, M. R. Moore, S. Worrall, B. L. Smith, A. A. Seawright, and A. S. Prakash, “H-ras activation is an early event in the Ptaquiloside-induced carcinogenesis: comparison of acute and chronic toxicity in rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 250, no. 2, pp. 491–497, 1998.
- R. M. Gil da Costa, P. A. Oliveira, M. Vilanova, M. M. S. M. Bastos, C. C. Lopes, and C. Lopes, “Ptaquiloside-induced, B-cell lymphoproliferative and early-stage urothelial lesions in mice,” Toxicon, vol. 58, no. 6-7, pp. 543–549, 2011.
- M. S. Campo, B. W. O'Neil, R. J. Barron, and W. F. H. Jarrett, “Experimental reproduction of the papilloma-carcinoma complex of the alimentary canal in cattle,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1597–1601, 1994.
- M. S. Campo, W. F. H. Jarrett, R. Barron, B. W. O'Neil, and K. T. Smith, “Association of bovine papillomavirus type 2 and bracken fern with bladder cancer in cattle,” Cancer Research, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 6898–6904, 1992.
- G. Borzacchiello, G. Lovane, M. L. Marcante et al., “Presence of bovine papillomavirus type 2 DNA and expression of the viral oncoprotein E5 in naturally occurring urinary bladder tumours in cows,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 2921–2926, 2003.
- R. C. Stocco Dos Santos, C. J. Lindsey, O. P. Ferraz et al., “Bovine papillomavirus transmission and chromosomal aberrations: an experimental model,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 2127–2135, 1998.
- M. B. Lioi, R. Barbieri, G. Borzacchiello et al., “Chromosome aberrations in cattle with chronic enzootic haematuria,” Journal of Comparative Pathology, vol. 131, no. 2-3, pp. 233–236, 2004.
- V. Peretti, F. Ciotola, S. Albarella et al., “Chromosome fragility in cattle with chronic enzootic haematuria,” Mutagenesis, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 317–320, 2007.
- A. O. Latorre, B. D. Caniceiro, H. Fukumasu, et al., “Ptaquiloside reduces NK cell activities by enhancing metallothionein expression, which is prevented by selenium,” Toxicology, vol. 304, pp. 100–108, 2013.
- P. V. Peixoto, T. D. Do Nascimento França, C. S. L. Barros, and C. H. Tokarnia, “Histopathological aspects of Bovine Enzootic Hematuria in Brazil,” Pesquisa Veterinaria Brasileira, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 65–81, 2003.
- G. Borzacchiello, V. Russo, F. Gentile et al., “Bovine papillomavirus E5 oncoprotein binds to the activated form of the platelet-derived growth factor β receptor in naturally occurring bovine urinary bladder tumours,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1251–1260, 2006.
- S. Roperto, R. de Tullio, C. Raso et al., “Calpain3 is expressed in a proteolitically active form in papillomavirus-associated urothelial tumors of the urinary bladder in cattle,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 4, Article ID e10299, 2010.
- G. Borzacchiello, V. Russo, C. Spoleto et al., “Bovine papillomavirus type-2 DNA and expression of E5 and E7 oncoproteins in vascular tumours of the urinary bladder in cattle,” Cancer Letters, vol. 250, no. 1, pp. 82–91, 2007.
- J. N. Eble, G. Sauter, J. I. Epstein, et al., World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2004.
- R. Montironi and A. Lopez-Beltran, “The 2004 WHO classification of bladder tumors: a summary and commentary,” International Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 143–153, 2005.
- S. Lott, A. Lopez-Beltran, R. Montironi, G. T. MacLennan, and L. Cheng, “Soft tissue tumors of the urinary bladder. Part II: malignant neoplasms,” Human Pathology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 963–977, 2007.
- S. Lott, A. Lopez-Beltran, G. T. MacLennan, R. Montironi, and L. Cheng, “Soft tissue tumors of the urinary bladder, part I: myofibroblastic proliferations, benign neoplasms, and tumors of uncertain malignant potential,” Human Pathology, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 807–823, 2007.
- K. P. Clearkin and F. M. Enzinger, “Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 18, pp. 441–444, 1976.
- G. Pelosi, A. Sonzogni, and G. Viale, “Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia of the renal vein,” International Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 518–520, 2011.
- J. Rosai, “Soft tissues,” in Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology, J. Rosai and L. V. Ackerman, Eds., vol. 2, pp. 2288–2290, Mosby, Edinburgh, UK, 2004.
- F. Tavora, E. Montgomery, and J. I. Epstein, “A series of vascular tumors and tumorlike lesions of the bladder,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1213–1219, 2008.
- H. D. Herrera, A. G. Duchene, J. O. Croxatto, N. Burgués, and H. Amusquibar, “Intravascular papillary endothelial hyperplasia of the conjunctiva in a horse,” Veterinary Ophthalmology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 269–272, 2003.
- L. Cheng, A. G. Nascimento, R. M. Neumann, et al., “Hemangioma of the urinary bladder,” Cancer, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 498–504, 2009.
- L. Cheng, “Heamangioma,” in World Health Organization Classification of Tumors. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs, J. N. Eble, G. Sauter, J. I. Epstein, and I. A. Sesterhenn, Eds., p. 146, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2004.
- I. Pires, F. Silva, F. L. Queiroga et al., “Epithelioid hemangiosarcomas of the bovine urinary bladder: a histologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural examination of four tumors,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 116–119, 2010.
- F. Tavora, O. N. Kryvenko, and J. I. Epstein, “Mesenchymal tumours of the bladder and prostate: an update,” Pathology, vol. 45, pp. 104–115, 2013.
- I. Pires, F. L. Queiroga, F. Silva, C. Pinto, and C. Lopes, “Kaposi-like vascular tumor of the urinary bladder in a cow,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 831–833, 2009.
- S. Roperto, G. Borzacchiello, R. Brun et al., “Multiple glomus tumors of the urinary bladder in a cow associated with bovine papillomavirus type 2 (BPV-2) infection,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 2008.
- C. B. Jones Jr. and H. A. Oberman, “Rhabdomyosarcoma of the bladder: occurrence in childhood and in advanced age,” The Journal of urology, vol. 91, pp. 533–537, 1964.
- D. F. Brobst and C. Olson, “Neoplastic and proliferative lesions of the bovine urinary bladder,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 24, pp. 105–111, 1963.
- J. Andrae, R. Gallini, and C. Betsholtz, “Role of platelet-derived growth factors in physiology and medicine,” Genes and Development, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1276–1312, 2008.
- S. Roperto, S. Comazzi, E. Ciusani et al., “PBMCS are additional sites of productive infection of bovine papillomavirus type 2,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 1787–1794, 2011.
- J. D. Engel, T. M. Kuzel, M. C. Moceanu, M. G. Oefelein, and A. J. Schaeffer, “Angiosarcoma of the bladder: a review,” Urology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 778–784, 1998.
- S. Roperto, V. Russo, A. Ozkul, et al., “Bovine papillomavirus type 2 infects the urinary bladder of water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) and plays a crucial role in bubaline urothelial carcinogenesis,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 403–408, 2013.
- Y. Modis, B. L. Trus, and S. C. Harrison, “Atomic model of the papillomavirus capsid,” EMBO Journal, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 4754–4762, 2002.
- S. Roperto, V. Russo, A. Ozkul, et al., “Productive infection of bovine papillomavirus type 2 in the urothelial cells of naturally occurring urinary bladder tumors in cattle and water buffaloes,” PLoS One, vol. 8, no. 5, Article ID e62227, 2013.
- D. G. DeNardo, M. Johansson, and L. M. Coussens, “Immune cells as mediators of solid tumor metastasis,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2008.
- F. I. Staquicini, A. Tandle, S. K. Libutti et al., “A subset of host B lymphocytes controls melanoma metastasis through a melanoma cell adhesion molecule/MUC18-dependent interaction: evidence from mice and humans,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 20, pp. 8419–8428, 2008.