- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 819252, 9 pages
Dissolution of Silver Nanowires and Nanospheres Dictates Their Toxicity to Escherichia coli
1Institute of Physics, University of Tartu, Riia 142, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
2Estonian Nanotechnology Competence Center, Riia 142, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
3Laboratory of Environmental Toxicology, National Institute of Chemical Physics and Biophysics, Akadeemia 23, 12618 Tallinn, Estonia
4Department of Chemistry, Tallinn University of Technology, Akadeemia 15, 12618 Tallinn, Estonia
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 1 July 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Muthuswamy Sathishkumar
Copyright © 2013 Meeri Visnapuu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Marambio-Jones and E. M. V. Hoek, “A review of the antibacterial effects of silver nanomaterials and potential implications for human health and the environment,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1531–1551, 2010.
- M. C. Stensberg, Q. Wei, E. S. McLamore, D. M. Porterfield, A. Wei, and M. S. Sepúlveda, “Toxicological studies on silver nanoparticles: challenges and opportunities in assessment, monitoring and imaging,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 879–898, 2011.
- Y. Li, Y. Wu, and B. S. Ong, “Facile synthesis of silver nanoparticles useful for fabrication of high-conductivity elements for printed electronics,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 10, pp. 3266–3267, 2005.
- M. Law, L. E. Greene, J. C. Johnson, R. Saykally, and P. Yang, “Nanowire dye-sensitized solar cells,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 455–459, 2005.
- S. T. Dubas and V. Pimpan, “Humic acid assisted synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its application to herbicide detection,” Materials Letters, vol. 62, no. 17-18, pp. 2661–2663, 2008.
- N. A. Melosh, A. Boukai, F. Diana et al., “Ultrahigh-density nanowire lattices and circuits,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5616, pp. 112–115, 2003.
- A. Kahru and A. Ivask, “Mapping the dawn of nanoecotoxicological research,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 823–833, 2012.
- I. Blinova, J. Niskanen, P. Kajankari, et al., “Toxicity of two types of silver nanoparticles to aquatic crustaceans Daphnia magna and Thamnocephalus platyurus,” Environmentai Science and Pollution Research, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 3456–3463, 2013.
- J. Fabrega, S. N. Luoma, C. R. Tyler, T. S. Galloway, and J. R. Lead, “Silver nanoparticles: behaviour and effects in the aquatic environment,” Environment International, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 517–531, 2011.
- C. M. Zhao and W. X. Wang, “Importance of surface coatings and soluble silver in silver nanoparticles toxicity to Daphnia magna,” Nanotoxicology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 361–370, 2012.
- W.-R. Li, X.-B. Xie, Q.-S. Shi, H.-Y. Zeng, Y.-S. Ou-Yang, and Y.-B. Chen, “Antibacterial activity and mechanism of silver nanoparticles on Escherichia coli,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 1115–1122, 2010.
- I. Sondi and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- Z. M. Xiu, Q. B. Zhang, H. L. Puppala, et al., “Negligible particle-specific antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 4271–4275, 2012.
- O. Bondarenko, A. Ivask, A. Käkinen, et al., “Particle-cell contact enhances antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 5, Article ID e64060, 2013.
- S. Pal, Y. K. Tak, and J. M. Song, “Does the antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles depend on the shape of the nanoparticle? A study of the gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1712–1720, 2007.
- B. Sadeghi, F. S. Garmaroudi, M. Hashemi et al., “Comparison of the anti-bacterial activity on the nanosilver shapes: nanoparticles, nanorods and nanoplates,” Advanced Powder Technology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 22–26, 2012.
- A. A. Ashkarran, S. Estakhri, M. R. H. Nezhad, et al., “Controlling the geometry of silver nanostructures for biological applications,” Physics Procedia, vol. 40, pp. 76–83, 2013.
- S. Liu, L. Wei, L. Hao et al., “Sharper and faster “Nano darts” kill more bacteria: a study of antibacterial activity of individually dispersed pristine single-walled carbon nanotube,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 3891–3902, 2009.
- S. George, S. Lin, Z. Ji, et al., “Surface defects on plate-shaped silver nanoparticles contribute to its hazard potential in a fish gill cell line and zebrafish embryos,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 3745–3759, 2012.
- L. C. Stoehr, E. Gonzalez, A. Stampfl et al., “Shape matters: effects of silver nanospheres and wires on human alveolar epithelial cells,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 8, article 36, 2011.
- J. A. Bearden, “X-ray wavelengths,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 78–124, 1967.
- D. Chen, X. Qiao, X. Qiu, J. Chen, and R. Jiang, “Large-scale synthesis of silver nanowires via a solvothermal method,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2011.
- D. D. Evanoff Jr. and G. Chumanov, “Synthesis and optical properties of silver nanoparticles and arrays,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1221–1231, 2005.
- X. Yang, J. Bai, Y. Wang, et al., “Hydrogen peroxide and glucose biosensor based on silver nanowires synthesized by polyol process,” Analyst, vol. 137, pp. 4362–4367, 2012.
- R. Ma, C. Levard, S. M. Marinakos et al., “Size-controlled dissolution of organic-coated silver nanoparticles,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 752–759, 2012.
- A. Ivask, T. Rõlova, and A. Kahru, “A suite of recombinant luminescent bacterial strains for the quantification of bioavailable heavy metals and toxicity testing,” BMC biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 41, 2009.
- E. J. Calabrese, “Hormesis: a revolution in toxicology, risk assessment and medicine,” EMBO Reports, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. S37–S40, 2004.
- K. Hakkila, T. Green, P. Leskinen, A. Ivask, R. Marks, and M. Virta, “Detection of bioavailable heavy metals in EILATox-Oregon samples using whole-cell luminescent bacterial sensors in suspension or immobilized onto fibre-optic tips,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 333–342, 2004.
- Y. Sun, Y. Yin, B. T. Mayers, T. Herricks, and Y. Xia, “Uniform silver nanowires synthesis by reducing AgNO3 with ethylene glycol in the presence of seeds and poly(vinyl pyrrolidone),” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 4736–4745, 2002.
- I. Kurvet, A. Ivask, O. Bondarenko, M. Sihtmäe, and A. Kahru, “LuxCDABE-transformed constitutively bioluminescent Escherichia coli for toxicity screening: comparison with naturally luminous Vibrio fischeri,” Sensors, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 7865–7878, 2011.
- R. M. S. Thorn, S. M. Nelson, and J. Greenman, “Use of a bioluminescent Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain within an in vitro microbiological system, as a model of wound infection, to assess the antimicrobial efficacy of wound dressings by monitoring light production,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 3217–3224, 2007.
- M. Sathishkumar, K. Sneha, S. W. Won, C.-W. Cho, S. Kim, and Y.-S. Yun, “Cinnamon zeylanicum bark extract and powder mediated green synthesis of nano-crystalline silver particles and its bactericidal activity,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 332–338, 2009.
- M. Sathishkumar, K. Sneha, and Y.-S. Yun, “Immobilization of silver nanoparticles synthesized using Curcuma longa tuber powder and extract on cotton cloth for bactericidal activity,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 20, pp. 7958–7965, 2010.
- O. Bondarenko, K. Juganson, A. Ivask, et al., “Toxicity of Ag, CuO and ZnO nanoparticles to selected environmentally relevant test organisms and mammalian cells in vitro: a critical review,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 1181–1200, 2013.