- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 820786, 15 pages
Antioxidant and Renoprotective Effects of Spirogyra neglecta (Hassall) Kützing Extract in Experimental Type 2 Diabetic Rats
1Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
2Division of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Phayao, Phayao 56000, Thailand
3School of Biology, Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima 30000, Thailand
4Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
5Faculty of Fisheries Technology and Aquatic Resources, Maejo University, Chiang Mai 50290, Thailand
Received 20 February 2013; Revised 24 April 2013; Accepted 29 April 2013
Academic Editor: Gjumrakch Aliev
Copyright © 2013 Atcharaporn Ontawong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Peerapornpisal, “Edible freshwater macroalgae in Northern Thailand,” Fisheries Science Journal, vol. 1, pp. 178–188, 2007.
- Y. Peerapornpisal, D. Kanjanapothi, T. Taesotikul, and D. Amornlerdpison, “Potential of some freshwater algae in Northern Thailand as nutraceutical,” Phycologia, vol. 4, no. 48, article 104, 2009.
- D. Amornlerdpison, K. Duangjun, D. Kanjanapothi, T. Taesotikul, and Y. Peerapornpisal, “Gastroprotective activity of Spirogyra neglecta (Hassall) Kützing,” KKU Science Journal, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 236–241, 2012.
- Y. Peerapornpisal, T. Punyoyai, and D. Amormledpison, “Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Spirogyra neglecta (Hassall) Kützing,” KKU Science Journal, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 228–235, 2012.
- N. Jitprawet, W. Keapai, S. Apichai, et al., “Evaluation of antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic potential of Spirogyra neglecta extract on type 2 diabetic rats,” in Proceedings of the 1st ASEAN Plus Three Graduate Research Congress, p. HS 415, The Graduate School, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2012.
- WHO, Definition and Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and Intermediate Hyperglycemia: Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation, World Health Organization (WHO), Geneva, Switzerland, 2006.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, suppl 1, pp. s5–s10, 2012.
- M. Brownlee, “Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6865, pp. 813–820, 2001.
- J. L. Evans, I. D. Goldfine, B. A. Maddux, and G. M. Grodsky, “Oxidative stress and stress-activated signaling pathways: a unifying hypothesis of type 2 diabetes,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 599–622, 2002.
- G. L. King and M. R. Loeken, “Hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress in diabetic complications,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 333–338, 2004.
- J. W. Baynes, “Role of oxidative stress in development of complications in diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 405–412, 1991.
- H. Makino, K. Shikata, K. Hironaka et al., “Ultrastructure of nonenzymatically glycated mesangial matrix in diabetic nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 517–526, 1995.
- R. K. Studer, P. A. Craven, and F. R. DeRubertis, “Antioxidant inhibition of protein kinase C-signaled increases in transforming growth factor-beta in mesangial cells,” Metabolism, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 918–925, 1997.
- J. B. Pritchard and D. S. Miller, “Mechanisms mediating renal secretion of organic anions and cations,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 765–796, 1993.
- S. H. Wright and W. H. Dantzler, “Molecular and cellular physiology of renal organic cation and anion transport,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 987–1049, 2004.
- C. Hilgendorf, G. Ahlin, A. Seithel, P. Artursson, A. L. Ungell, and J. Karlsson, “Expression of thirty-six drug transporter genes in human intestine, liver, kidney, and organotypic cell lines,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1333–1340, 2007.
- D. H. Sweet, D. S. Miller, J. B. Pritchard, Y. Fujiwara, D. R. Beier, and S. K. Nigam, “Impaired organic anion transport in kidney and choroid plexus of organic anion transporter 3 (Oat3 (Slc22a8)) knockout mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 30, pp. 26934–26943, 2002.
- C. Srimaroeng, J. L. Perry, and J. B. Pritchard, “Physiology, structure, and regulation of the cloned organic anion transporters,” Xenobiotica, vol. 38, no. 7-8, pp. 889–935, 2008.
- S. Soodvilai, V. Chatsudthipong, K. K. Evans, S. H. Wright, and W. H. Dantzler, “Acute regulation of OAT3-mediated estrone sulfate transport in isolated rabbit renal proximal tubules,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 5, pp. F1021–F1029, 2004.
- N. A. Wolff, K. Thies, N. Kuhnke et al., “Protein kinase C activation downregulates human organic anion transporter 1-mediated transport through carrier internalization,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1959–1968, 2003.
- S. A. Barros, C. Srimaroeng, J. L. Perry et al., “Activation of protein kinase Cζ increases OAT1 (SLC22A6)-and OAT3 (SLC22A8)-mediated transport,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 5, pp. 2672–2679, 2009.
- M. C. Thomas, C. Tikellis, W. C. Burns et al., “Reduced tubular cation transport in diabetes: prevented by ACE inhibition,” Kidney International, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 2152–2161, 2003.
- A. Lungkaphin, P. Arjinajarna, C. Srimaroeng, and V. Chatsudthipong, “Function and expression of renal organic anion transporters in experimental diabetes in mice,” ScienceAsia, vol. 38, pp. 18–23, 2012.
- P. Arjinajarn, C. Srimaroeng, V. Chatsudthipong, and A. Lungkaphin, “Decreased renal organic anion transporter 3 expression in type 1 diabetic rats,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, 2013.
- T. Rattanapot, K. Mengumphan, C. Srimaroeng, R. Junthip, and D. Amornlerdpison, “Antioxidant activity of Spirogyra sp. and effect of its supplementation on growth performance of Tilapia in cage culture,” Journal of Fisheries Technology Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 23–34, 2012.
- D. U. Owu, A. B. Antai, K. H. Udofia, A. O. Obembe, K. O. Obasi, and M. U. Eteng, “Vitamin C improves basal metabolic rate and lipid profile in alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus in rats,” Journal of Biosciences, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 575–579, 2006.
- J. Y. Jung, Y. Lim, M. S. Moon, J. Y. Kim, and O. Kwon, “Onion peel extracts ameliorate hyperglycemia and insulin resistance in high fat diet/streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 8, article 18, 2011.
- K. Srinivasan, B. Viswanad, L. Asrat, C. L. Kaul, and P. Ramarao, “Combination of high-fat diet-fed and low-dose streptozotocin-treated rat: a model for type 2 diabetes and pharmacological screening,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 313–320, 2005.
- T. W. C. Tervaert, A. L. Mooyaart, K. Amann et al., “Pathologic classification of diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 556–563, 2010.
- S. W. Oh, S. Kim, K. Y. Na, et al., “Clinical implications of pathologic diagnosis and classification for diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 418–424, 2012.
- A. Freund, R. M. Laberge, M. Demaria, and J. Campisi, “Lamin B1 loss is a senescence-associated biomarker,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 2066–2075, 2012.
- X. Ming and D. R. Thakker, “Role of basolateral efflux transporter MRP4 in the intestinal absorption of the antiviral drug adefovir dipivoxil,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 455–462, 2010.
- A. Kumar, K. S. Hawkins, M. A. Hannan, and M. B. Ganz, “Activation of PKC-βI in glomerular mesangial cells is associated with specific NF-κB subunit translocation,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 4, pp. F613–F619, 2001.
- P. Duan, S. Li, and G. You, “Angiotensin II inhibits activity of human organic anion transporter 3 through activation of protein kinase Cα: accelerating endocytosis of the transporter,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 627, no. 1–3, pp. 49–55, 2010.
- R. Junthip, D. Amormledpison, and T. Chimsook, “Phytochemical screening, antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of Spirogyra spp,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 699, pp. 693–697, 2013.
- M. Pinent, M. Blay, M. C. Bladé, M. J. Salvadó, L. Arola, and A. Ardévol, “Grape seed-derived procyanidins have an antihyperglycemic effect in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats and insulinomimetic activity in insulin-sensitive cell lines,” Endocrinology, vol. 145, no. 11, pp. 4985–4990, 2004.
- I. Hininger-Favier, R. Benaraba, S. Coves, R. A. Anderson, and A. M. Roussel, “Green tea extract decreases oxidative stress and improves insulin sensitivity in an animal model of insulin resistance, the fructose-fed rat,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 355–361, 2009.
- B. Fabris, R. Candido, M. Carraro et al., “Modulation of Incipient glomerular lesions in experimental diabetic nephropathy by hypotensive and subhypotensive dosages of an ACE inhibitor,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 7–12, pp. 2619–2624, 2001.
- V. Folmer, J. C. M. Soares, D. Gabriel, and J. B. T. Rocha, “A high fat diet inhibits δ-aminolevulinate dehydratase and increases lipid peroxidation in mice (Mus musculus),” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 7, pp. 2165–2170, 2003.
- A. L. VanWert, M. R. Gionfriddo, and D. H. Sweet, “Organic anion transporters: discovery, pharmacology, regulation and roles in pathophysiology,” Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–71, 2010.
- T. Cihlar, D. C. Lin, J. B. Pritchard, M. D. Fuller, D. B. Mendel, and D. H. Sweet, “The antiviral nucleotide analogs cidofovir and adefovir are novel substrates for human and rat renal organic anion transporter 1,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 570–580, 1999.
- M. T. Nowicki, L. M. Aleksunes, S. P. Sawant, A. V. Dnyanmote, H. M. Mehendale, and J. E. Manautou, “Renal and hepatic transporter expression in type 2 diabetic rats,” Drug Metabolism Letters, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2008.
- L. Ji, S. Masuda, H. Saito, and K. I. Inui, “Down-regulation of rat organic cation transporter rOCT2 by 5/6 nephrectomy,” Kidney International, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 514–524, 2002.
- P. V. Limaye, N. Raghuram, and S. Sivakami, “Oxidative stress and gene expression of antioxidant enzymes in the renal cortex of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 243, no. 1-2, pp. 147–152, 2003.
- L. A. Sechi, A. Ceriello, C. A. Griffin et al., “Renal antioxidant enzyme mRNA levels are increased in rats with experimental diabetes mellitus,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 1997.
- H. Ha, S. J. Yoon, and K. H. Kim, “High glucose can induce lipid peroxidation in the isolated rat glomeruli,” Kidney International, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1620–1626, 1994.
- Y. S. Kanwar, J. Wada, L. Sun et al., “Diabetic nephropathy: mechanisms of renal disease progression,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 233, no. 1, pp. 4–11, 2008.
- C. T. Yeh and G. C. Yen, “Induction of hepatic antioxidant enzymes by phenolic acids in rats is accompanied by increased levels of multidrug resistance-associated protein 3 mRNA expression,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 11–15, 2006.
- Q. Zhang, M. Hong, P. Duan, Z. Pan, J. Ma, and G. You, “Organic anion transporter OAT1 undergoes constitutive and protein kinase C-regulated trafficking through a dynamin- and clathrin-dependent pathway,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 47, pp. 32570–32579, 2008.
- M. Meier, J. Menne, J. K. Park, and H. Haller, “Nailing down PKC isoform specificity in diabetic nephropathy: Two's company, three's a crowd,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 2421–2425, 2007.