- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 821498, 4 pages
Possible Mechanisms of Fullerene C60 Antioxidant Action
1Research Institute of Biology, Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don 344090, Russia
2Research Center for Nanoscale Structure of Matter, Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don 344090, Russia
3Department of Physics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Received 6 June 2013; Revised 2 August 2013; Accepted 13 September 2013
Academic Editor: Claiton Leonetti Lencina
Copyright © 2013 V. A. Chistyakov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Back, B. P. Braeckman, and F. Matthijssens, “ROS in aging Caenorhabditis elegans: damage or signaling?” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2012, Article ID 608478, 14 pages, 2012.
- A. Bratic and N. G. Larsson, “The role of mitochondria in aging,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 951–957, 2013.
- M. J. Jackson, “Strategies for reducing oxidative damage in ageing skeletal muscle,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 61, no. 14, pp. 1363–1368, 2009.
- G. Nguyen and A. Torres, “S ystemic antioxidants and skin health,” Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. e1–e4, 2012.
- D. M. Small, J. S. Coombes, N. Bennett, D. W. Johnson, and G. C. Gobe, “Oxidative stress, anti-oxidant therapies and chronic kidney disease,” Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 311–321, 2012.
- A. Martínez, E. Hernández-Marin, and A. Galano, “Xanthones as antioxidants: a theoretical study on the thermodynamics and kinetics of the single electron transfer mechanism,” Food and Function, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 442–450, 2012.
- E. Hernandez-Marin and A. Galano A, “Martinez, C is carotenoids: colorful molecules and free radical quenchers,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 117, no. 15, pp. 4050–4061, 2013.
- S. Alcaro, S. G. C. hiodo, M. Leopoldini, and F. Ortuso, “Antioxidant efficiency of oxovitisin, a new class of red wine pyranoanthocyanins, revealed through quantum mechanical investigations,” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 66–75, 2013.
- M. Leopoldini, N. Russo, and M. Toscano, “Gas and liquid phase acidity of natural antioxidants,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 3078–3085, 2006.
- J. R. León-Carmona and A. Galano, “Is caffeine a good scavenger of oxygenated free radicals?” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 115, no. 15, pp. 4538–4546, 2011.
- A. Martínez, A. Galano, and R. Vargas, “Free radical scavenger properties of α-mangostin: thermodynamics and kinetics of HAT and RAF mechanisms,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 115, no. 43, pp. 12591–12598, 2011.
- A. Galano and A. Martínez, “Capsaicin, a tasty free radical scavenger: mechanism of action and kinetics,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 1200–1208, 2012.
- M. Leopoldini, N. Russo, S. Chiodo, and M. Toscano, “Iron chelation by the powerful antioxidant flavonoid quercetin,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 17, pp. 6343–6351, 2006.
- T. Baati, F. Bourasset, N. Gharbi et al., “The prolongation of the lifespan of rats by repeated oral administration of fullerene,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 4936–4946, 2012.
- M. K. Manibusan, M. Odin, and D. A. Eastmond, “Postulated carbon tetrachloride mode of action: a review,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part C, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 185–209, 2007.
- G. V. Andrievsky, V. I. Bruskov, A. A. Tykhomyrov, and S. V. Gudkov, “Peculiarities of the antioxidant and radioprotective effects of hydrated C60 fullerene nanostuctures in vitro and in vivo,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 786–793, 2009.
- R. Banks, J. R. Speakman, and C. Selman, “Vitamin E supplementation and mammalian lifespan,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 719–725, 2010.
- M. V. Skulachev, Y. N. Antonenko, V. N. Anisimov et al., “Mitochondrial-targeted plastoquinone derivatives. Effect on senescence and acute age-related pathologies,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 800–826, 2011.
- Y. Xiao and M. R. Wiesner, “Characterization of surface hydrophobicity of engineered nanoparticles,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 215-216, pp. 146–151, 2012.
- J. Wong-Ekkabut, S. Baoukina, W. Triampo, I.-M. Tang, D. P. Tieleman, and L. Monticelli, “Computer simulation study of fullerene translocation through lipid membranes,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 363–368, 2008.
- S. S. Korshunov, V. P. Skulachev, and A. A. Starkov, “High protonic potential actuates a mechanism of production of reactive oxygen species in mitochondria,” FEBS Letters, vol. 416, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 1997.
- F. M. Bickelhaupt and E. J. Baerends, “Kohn-Sham density functional theory: predicting and understanding chemistry,” Reviews in Computational Chemistry, vol. 15, pp. 1–86, 2000.
- E. R. Johnson and G. A. Dilabio, “Radicals as hydrogen bond donors and acceptors,” Interdisciplinary Sciences, Computational Life Sciences, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 2009.
- G. te Velde, F. M. Bickelhaupt, E. J. Baerends, et al., “Chemistry with ADF,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 931–967, 2001.
- S. Grimme, J. Antony, S. Ehrlich, and H. Krieg, “A consistent and accurate ab initio parametrization of density functional dispersion correction (DFT-D) for the 94 elements H-Pu,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 132, no. 15, Article ID 154104, 2010.
- C. Lee, W. Yang, and R. G. Parr, “Development of the Colle-Salvetti correlation-energy formula into a functional of the electron density,” Physical Review B, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 785–789, 1988.
- C. Fonseca Guerra, J.-W. Handgraaf, E. J. Baerends, and F. M. Bickelhaupt, “Voronoi deformation density (VDD) charges: Assessment of the Mulliken, Bader, Hirshfeld, Weinhold, and VDD methods for charge analysis,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 189–210, 2004.
- V. P. Skulachev, “How to clean the dirtiest place in the cell: Cationic antioxidants as intramitochondrial ROS scavengers,” IUBMB Life, vol. 57, no. 4-5, pp. 305–310, 2005.
- F. F. Severin, I. I. Severina, Y. N. Antonenko et al., “Penetrating cation/fatty acid anion pair as a mitochondria-targeted protonophore,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 663–668, 2010.