- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 824682, 8 pages
Gastric Tissue Damage Analysis Generated by Ischemia: Bioimpedance, Confocal Endomicroscopy, and Light Microscopy
1Departamento de Procesos y Tecnologia, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Cuajimalpa. Artificios 40, Colonia Hidalgo, 01120 Ciudad de Mexico, DF, Mexico
2Centro Nacional de Investigación en Instrumentacion e Imagenologia Medica, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Iztapalapa. Avenida San Rafael Atlixco 186, Colonia Vicentina, 09340 Ciudad de Mexico, DF, Mexico
3Departamento de Ingenieria Electrica, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Iztapalapa. Avenida San Rafael Atlixco 186, Colonia Vicentina, 09340 Ciudad de Mexico, DF, Mexico
4Departamento de Biologia de la Reproduccion, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Iztapalapa. Avenida San Rafael Atlixco 186, Colonia Vicentina, 09340 Ciudad de Mexico, DF, Mexico
Received 2 May 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2013 Nohra E. Beltran et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Gutierrez, H. D. Reines, and M. E. Wulf-Gutierrez, “Clinical review: hemorrhagic shock,” Critical Care, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 373–381, 2004.
- A. Dubin, E. Estenssoro, G. Murias et al., “Effects of hemorrhage on gastrointestinal oxygenation,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1931–1936, 2001.
- S. A. Oakes, J. T. Opferman, T. Pozzan, S. J. Korsmeyer, and L. Scorrano, “Regulation of endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ dynamics by proapoptotic BCL-2 family members,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 1335–1340, 2003.
- R. G. Boutilier, “Mechanisms of cell survival in hypoxia and hypothermia,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 204, no. 18, pp. 3171–3181, 2001.
- G. Gutierrez, H. Bismar, D. R. Dantzker, and N. Silva, “Comparison of gastric intramucosal pH with measures of oxygen transport and consumption in critically ill patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 451–457, 1992.
- M. M. Levy, W. L. Macias, J. A. Russell, et al., “Failure to improve during the first day of therapy is predictive of 28-day mortality in severe sepsis,” Chest, vol. 124, supplement, p. 120S, 2003.
- J. Arnold, J. Hendriks, C. Ince, and H. Bruining, “Tonometry to assess the adequacy of splanchnic oxygenation in the critically ill patient,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 452–456, 1994.
- D. N. Granger, “Role of xanthine oxidase and granulocytes in ischemia-reperfusion injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 255, no. 6, p. 24/6, 1988.
- G. Gutierrez, F. Palizas, G. Doglio et al., “Gastric intramucosal pH as a therapeutic index of tissue oxygenation in critically ill patients,” The Lancet, vol. 339, no. 8787, pp. 195–199, 1992.
- A. H. Kyle, C. T. O. Chan, and A. I. Minchinton, “Characterization of three-dimensional tissue cultures using electrical impedance spectroscopy,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 2640–2648, 1999.
- E. Gersing, “Impedance spectroscopy on living tissue for determination of the state of organs,” Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 145–149, 1998.
- J. Flores, D. R. DiBona, C. H. Beck, and A. Leaf, “The role of cell swelling in ischemic renal damage and the protective effect of hypertonic solute,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 118–126, 1972.
- B. Rigaud, L. Hamzaoui, N. Chauveau, M. Granie, J.-P. Scotto Di Rinaldi, and J.-P. Morucci, “Tissue characterization by impedance: a multifrequency approach,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 15, no. 2A, pp. A13–A20, 1994.
- A. Ivorra, M. Genescà, A. Sola et al., “Bioimpedance dispersion width as a parameter to monitor living tissues,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. S165–S173, 2005.
- S. Othman and E. Sacristan, “Complex impedance spectrometer using parallel demodulation and digital conversion,” United States Patent US 6,970,738 B1, 2005.
- E. Sacristan, “Impedance spectroscopy system and catheter for ischemic mucosal damage monitoring in hollow viscous organs,” United States Patent US 6,882,879 B2, 2005.
- N. E. Beltran, J. J. M. De Folter, M. M. Godinez, and E. Sacristan Rock, “Systems and methods for characteristic parameter estimation of gastric impedance spectra in humans,” United States Patent US 2010/0268110 A1, 2010.
- E. B. Prophet, B. Mills, J. B. Arrington, and L. H. Sobin, AFIP Laboratory Methods in Histotechnology, American Registry of Pathology, 1992.
- J. K. Presnell and M. P. Schreibman, Animal Techniques, The John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1997.
- N. E. Beltran, G. Sanchez-Miranda, M. Godinez, U. Diaz, and E. Sacristan, “Gastric impedance spectroscopy in elective cardiovascular surgery patients,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 265–277, 2006.
- N. E. Beltran, G. Sanchez-Miranda, M. M. Godinez, U. Diaz, and E. Sacristan, “The predictive value of gastric reactance for postoperative morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery patients,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1423–1436, 2010.
- M. Goetz, C. Footner, E. Schirrmacher et al., “In vivo confocal real-time mini-microscopy in animal models of human inflammatory and neoplastic diseases,” Endoscopy, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 350–356, 2007.
- R. Weissleder, C.-H. Tung, U. Mahmood, and A. Bogdanov Jr., “In vivo imaging of tumors with protease-activated near-infrared fluorescent probes,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 375–378, 1999.
- Y.-J. Huang, E.-Y. Huang, and K.-S. Cheng, “The correlation between extracellular resistance by electrical biopsy and the ratio of optical low staining area in irradiated intestinal tissues of rats,” Biomed Eng Online, vol. 12, p. 23, 2013.