- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 829171, 7 pages
Use of Tekscan K-Scan Sensors for Retropatellar Pressure Measurement Avoiding Errors during Implantation and the Effects of Shear Forces on the Measurement Precision
1Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, 07747 Jena, Germany
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical School Hannover, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Received 17 April 2013; Revised 25 September 2013; Accepted 25 September 2013
Academic Editor: Jón Karlsson
Copyright © 2013 A. Wilharm et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Fukubayashi and H. Kurosawa, “The contact area and pressure distribution pattern of the knee. A study of normal and osteoarthrotic knee joints,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 871–879, 1980.
- D. R. Wilson, M. J. Eichler, and W. C. Hayes, “Accuracey of the iscan pressure measurement system,” in Proceedings of the 44th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, La, USA, March 1998.
- J. E. Hale and T. D. Brown, “Contact stress gradient detection limits of pressensor film,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 352–357, 1992.
- J. Z. Wu, W. Herzog, and M. Epstein, “Effects of inserting a pressensor film into articular joints on the actual contact mechanics,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 655–659, 1998.
- D. R. Wilson, M. V. Apreleva, M. J. Eichler, and F. R. Harrold, “Accuracy and repeatability of a pressure measurement system in the patellofemoral joint,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1909–1915, 2003.
- M. L. Harris, P. Morberg, W. J. M. Bruce, and W. R. Walsh, “An improved method for measuring tibiofemoral contact areas in total knee arthroplasty: a comparison of K-scan sensor and Fuji film,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 951–958, 1999.
- L. Martinelli, C. Hurschler, and D. Rosenbaum, “Comparison of capacitive versus resistive joint contact stress sensors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 447, pp. 214–220, 2006.
- A. Wilharm, T. Dermitas, C. Hurschler, S. Ostermeier, C. J. Wirth, and M. Bohnsack, “Effects of harvesting the central third of the patella tendon on the kinetics of the knee joint and the retropatellar pressure,” Zeitschrift fur Orthopadie und Ihre Grenzgebiete, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 102–107, 2006.
- M. Bohnsack, A. Wilharm, C. Hurschler, O. Rühmann, C. Stukenborg-Colsman, and C. J. Wirth, “Biomechanical and kinematic influences of a total infrapatellar fat pad resection on the knee,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1873–1880, 2004.
- M. Bohnsack, A. Wilharm, C. Hurschler, O. Rühmann, and C. J. Wirth, “Der biomechanische Einfluss der Hoffaresektion auf die Kinematik des Kniegelenkes und den retropatellaren Druck,” Zeitschrift für Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie, vol. 141, p. 95, 2003.
- J. J. Elias, D. R. Wilson, R. Adamson, and A. J. Cosgarea, “Evaluation of a computational model used to predict the patellofemoral contact pressure distribution,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 295–302, 2004.
- C. Stukenborg-Colsman, S. Ostermeier, O. Burmester, and C. J. Wirth, “Dynamic in vitro measurement of retropatellar pressure after knee arthroplasty,” Orthopade, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 319–322, 2003.
- S. Ostermeier, M. Holst, M. Bohnsack, C. Hurschler, C. Stukenborg-Colsman, and C. Wirth, “Dynamic measurement of patellofemoral contact pressure following reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament: an in vitro study,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 327–335, 2007.
- S. Ostermeier, M. Holst, C. Hurschler, H. Windhagen, and C. Stukenborg-Colsman, “Dynamic measurement of patellofemoral kinematics and contact pressure after lateral retinacular release: an in vitro study,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 547–554, 2007.
- G. O. Hofmann, F. W. Hagena, and J. S. Zimmermann, “Experimentelle Biomechanik des femoropatellaren Gleitlagers nach Kniegelenkendoprothetik,” in Der Alloplastische Ersatz des Kniegenks, H. J. Refior, M. H. Hackenbroch, and C. J. Wirth, Eds., pp. 107–111, Thieme, Stuttgart, Germany, 1987.
- J. Hassenpflug, “Besonderheiten der verschiedenen Totalendoprothesen des Kniegelenkes,” in Das Patellofemoralgelenk beim künstlichen Kniegelenkersatz, J. Hassenpflug, Ed., pp. 1–11, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1989.
- N. Shinno, “Statico-dynamic analysis of movement of the knee. III. Functional significance of the flexors and extensors of the knee,” The Tokushima Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 8, pp. 124–141, 1961.
- A. L. DeMarco, D. A. Rust, and K. N. Bachus, “Measuring contact pressure and contact area in orthopedic applications: Fuji film vs. Tekscan,” in Proceedings of the 46th Annual Meeting, Orhopaedic Reserarch Society, Orlando, Fla, USA, March 2000.
- H. J. Agins, V. S. Harder, E. P. Lautenschlager, and J. C. Kudrna, “Effects of sterilization on the Tekscan digital pressure sensor,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 775–780, 2003.
- G. Li, L. E. DeFrate, S. Zayontz, S. E. Park, and T. J. Gill, “The effect of tibiofemoral joint kinematics on patellofemoral contact pressures under simulated muscle loads,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 801–806, 2004.
- F. W. Werner, J. K. Green, M. D. Fortino, K. A. KMann, and W. H. Short, “Evaluation of a dynamic intra-articular contact pressure sensing system,” in Proceedings of the 41st Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society: 1995, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1995.
- K. S. Jansson, M. P. Michalski, S. D. Smith, R. F. LaPrade, and C. A. Wijdicks, “Tekscan pressure sensor output changes in the presence of liquid exposure,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 612–614, 2013.
- I. A. Anderson, A. A. MacDiarmid, M. L. Harris, R. M. Gillies, R. Phelps, and W. R. Walsh, “A novel method for measuring medial compartment pressures within the knee joint in-vivo,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1391–1395, 2003.
- J. L. Pavlovic, Y. Takahashi, J. E. Bechtold, R. B. Gustilo, and R. F. Kyle, “Can the Tekscan sensor accurately measure dynamic pressures in the knee joint?” in Proceedings of the 17th Annual American Society of Biomechanics Meeting, pp. 135–136, Iowa City, Iowa, USA, 1993.
- A. Saranathan, M. S. Kirkpatrick, S. Mani et al., “The effect of tibial tuberosity realignment procedures on the patellofemoral pressure distribution,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 2054–2061, 2012.
- A. J. Ramappa, M. Apreleva, F. R. Harrold, P. G. Fitzgibbons, D. R. Wilson, and T. J. Gill, “The effects of medialization and anteromedialization of the tibial tubercle on patellofemoral mechanics and kinematics,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 749–756, 2006.
- A. L. Wallace, M. L. Harris, W. R. Walsh, and W. J. M. Bruce, “Intraoperative assessment of tibiofemoral contact stresses in total knee arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 923–927, 1998.
- K. Shiramizu, F. Vizesi, W. Bruce, S. Herrmann, and W. R. Walsh, “Tibiofemoral contact areas and pressures in six high flexion knees,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 403–406, 2009.
- U. G. Leichtle, M. Wunschel, C. I. Leichtle et al., “Increased patellofemoral pressure after TKA: an in vitro study,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 2013.