- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 831709, 11 pages
The Cytotoxic Effect of Magainin II on the MDA-MB-231 and M14K Tumour Cell Lines
1University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Grigore T. Popa”, 700115 Iaşi, Romania
2Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Regional Institute of Oncology Iasi, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Grigore T. Popa”, 700115 Iaşi, Romania
3Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Grigore T. Popa”, 700115 Iaşi, Romania
4Department of Pathophysiology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Grigore T. Popa”, 700115 Iaşi, Romania
Received 26 May 2013; Revised 2 August 2013; Accepted 30 August 2013
Academic Editor: Paul M. Tulkens
Copyright © 2013 Radu Anghel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Vrdoljak, M. Z. Wojtukiewicz, T. Pienkowski et al., “Cancer epidemiology in Central and South Eastern European countries,” Croatian Medical Journal, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 478–487, 2011.
- K. V. R. Reddy, R. D. Yedery, and C. Aranha, “Antimicrobial peptides: premises and promises,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 536–547, 2004.
- S. R. Dennison, M. Whittaker, F. Harris, and D. A. Phoenix, “Anticancer α-helical peptides and structure/function relationships underpinning their interactions with tumour cell membranes,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 487–499, 2006.
- D. W. Hoskin and A. Ramamoorthy, “Studies on anticancer activities of antimicrobial peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 2, pp. 357–375, 2008.
- A. L. Hilchie, C. D. Doucette, D. M. Pinto, A. Patrzykat, S. Douglas, and D. W. Hoskin, “Pleurocidin-family cationic antimicrobial peptides are cytolytic for breast carcinoma cells and prevent growth of tumor xenografts,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 5, article R102, 2011.
- A. Mor, “Peptide-based antibiotics: a potential answer to raging antimicrobial resistance,” Drug Development Research, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 440–447, 2000.
- O. Cirioni, A. Giacometti, R. Ghiselli et al., “Single-dose intraperitoneal magainins improve survival in a gram-negative-pathogen septic shock rat model,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 101–104, 2002.
- A. R. Koczulla and R. Bals, “Antimicrobial peptides: current status and therapeutic potential,” Drugs, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 389–406, 2003.
- Y. Rosenfeld and Y. Shai, “Lipopolysaccharide (Endotoxin)-host defense antibacterial peptides interactions: role in bacterial resistance and prevention of sepsis,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1513–1522, 2006.
- H. Sato and J. B. Feix, “Peptide-membrane interactions and mechanisms of membrane destruction by amphipathic α-helical antimicrobial peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1245–1256, 2006.
- M. Pascariu, A. N. Anghelache, D. Constantinescu, D. Jitaru, E. Carasevici, and T. Luchian, “The evaluation of biological effect of cytotoxic peptides on tumor cell lines,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 2012.
- J. Lehmann, M. Retz, S. S. Sidhu et al., “Antitumor activity of the antimicrobial peptide magainin II against bladder cancer cell lines,” European Urology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 141–147, 2006.
- R. A. Cruciani, J. L. Barker, M. Zasloff, H. C. Chen, and O. Colamonici, “Magainins as paradigm for the mode of action of pore forming polypeptides,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, pp. 3792–3796, 1991.
- C. Li and T. Salditt, “Structure of magainin and alamethicin in model membranes studied by x-ray reflectivity,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 3285–3300, 2006.
- K. Matsuzaki, “Why and how are peptide-lipid interactions utilized for self-defense? Magainins and tachyplesins as archetypes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 1–10, 1999.
- J. I. Kourie and A. A. Shorthouse, “Properties of cytotoxic peptide-formed ion channels,” American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology, vol. 278, no. 6, pp. C1063–C1087, 2000.
- T. Omori, K. Saijo, M. Kato et al., “Validation study on five cytotoxicity assays by JSAAE -VII. Details of the MTT assay,” Alternatives to Animal Testing EXperiment, vol. 5, no. 1-2, pp. 39–58, 1998.
- 2010, http://www.cancer.gov.
- M. Lacroix and G. Leclercq, “Relevance of breast cancer cell lines as models for breast tumours: an update,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 249–289, 2004.
- P. Baas, “Chemotherapy for malignant mesothelioma: from doxorubicin to vinorelbine,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 62–69, 2002.
- T. L. Moskal, J. D. Urschel, T. M. Anderson, J. G. Antkowiak, and H. Takita, “Malignant pleural mesothelioma: a problematic review,” Surgical Oncology, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 5–12, 1998.
- S. K. Kandasamy and R. G. Larson, “Binding and insertion of α-helical anti-microbial peptides in POPC bilayers studied by molecular dynamics simulations,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 113–132, 2004.
- J. A. Lundbæk, R. E. Koeppe II, and O. S. Andersen, “Amphiphile regulation of ion channel function by changes in the bilayer spring constant,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 35, pp. 15427–15430, 2010.
- K. Matsuzaki, K.-I. Sugishita, M. Harada, N. Fujii, and K. Miyajima, “Interactions of an antimicrobial peptide, magainin 2, with outer and inner membranes of Gram-negative bacteria,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1327, no. 1, pp. 119–130, 1997.
- S. B. Coffelt and A. B. Scandurro, “Tumors sound the alarmin(s),” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 16, pp. 6482–6485, 2008.
- C. I. Chamorro, G. Weber, A. Grönberg, A. Pivarcsi, and M. Ståhle, “The human antimicrobial peptide ll-37 suppresses apoptosis in keratinocytes,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 129, pp. 937–944, 2009.
- L. Yang, L. R. Arias, T. S. Lane, M. D. Yancey, and J. Mamouni, “Real-time electrical impedance-based measurement to distinguish oral cancer cells and non-cancer oral epithelial cells,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 399, no. 5, pp. 1823–1833, 2011.
- D. Kuk, J. R. Brender, M. F. M. Sciacca, J. Krishnamoorthy, C. Yu, and A. Ramamoorthy, “Lipid composition-dependent membrane fragmentation and pore-forming mechanisms of membrane disruption by pexiganan (MSI-78),” Biochemistry, vol. 52, no. 19, pp. 3254–3263.
- V. Dhople, A. Krukemeyer, and A. Ramamoorthy, “The human beta-defensin-3, an antibacterial peptide with multiple biological functions,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1499–1512, 2006.
- A. Ramamoorthy, “Beyond NMR spectra of antimicrobial peptides: dynamical images at atomic resolution and functional insights,” Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 201–207, 2009.
- S. Thennarasu, R. Huang, D.-K. Lee et al., “Limiting an antimicrobial peptide to the lipid-water interface enhances its bacterial membrane selectivity: a case study of MSI-367,” Biochemistry, vol. 49, no. 50, pp. 10595–10605, 2010.
- A. Ramamoorthy, S. Thennarasu, D.-K. Lee, A. Tan, and L. Maloy, “Solid-state NMR investigation of the membrane-disrupting mechanism of antimicrobial peptides MSI-78 and MSI-594 derived from magainin 2 and melittin,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 206–216, 2006.