- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 831714, 10 pages
Proliferative Activity in Libyan Breast Cancer with Comparison to European and Central African Patients
1Department of Pathology, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, 20520 Turku, Finland
2Department of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Misurata, Libya
3Department of Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Misurata, Libya
4Center of Excellence in Genomic Medicine Research, King Abdul-Aziz University, P.O. Box 80216, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 10 July 2013; Accepted 16 July 2013
Academic Editor: Sonshin Takao
Copyright © 2013 Jamela Boder et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. J. van Diest, J. P. A. Baak, P. Matze-Cok et al., “Reproducibility of mitosis counting in 2,469 breast cancer specimens: results from the Multicenter Morphometric Mammary Carcinoma Project,” Human Pathology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 603–607, 1992.
- S. Aaltomaa, P. Lipponen, M. Eskelinen et al., “Mitotic indexes as prognostic predictors in female breast cancer,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 75–81, 1992.
- M. Ladekarl and V. Jensen, “Quantitative histopathology in lymph node-negative breast cancer. Prognostic significance of mitotic counts,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 427, no. 3, pp. 265–270, 1995.
- H. Haapasalo, E. Pesonen, and Y. Collan, “Volume corrected mitotic index (M/V-index). The standard of mitotic activity in neoplasms,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 185, no. 5, pp. 551–554, 1989.
- A. Elzagheid, T. Kuopio, S. Pyrhönen, and Y. Collan, “Lymph node status as a guide to selection of available prognostic markers in breast cancer: the clinical practice of the future?” Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 1, no. 1, article 41, 2006.
- O. F. Ikpatt, T. Kuopio, and Y. Collan, “Proliferation in African breast cancer: biology and prognostication in Nigerian breast cancer material,” Modern Pathology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 783–789, 2002.
- O. F. Ikpatt, T. Kuopio, R. Ndoma-Egba, and Y. Collan, “Breast cancer in Nigeria and Finland: epidemiological, clinical and histological comparison,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 3005–3012, 2002.
- F. Abdalla, J. Boder, R. Markus, H. Hashmi, A. Buhmeida, and Y. Collan, “Correlation of nuclear morphometry of breast cancer in histological sections with clinicopathological features and prognosis,” Anticancer Research, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1771–1776, 2009.
- P. Kronqvist, T. Kuopio, and Y. Collan, “Morphometric grading in breast cancer: thresholds for mitotic counts,” Human Pathology, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1462–1468, 1998.
- “Pathology and genetics of tumors of the breast and genital organs,” in World Health Organization, Classification of Tumor, F. A. Tavassoli and P. Devilee, Eds., IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2003.
- C. W. Elston and I. O. Ellis, “Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. I. The value of histological grade in breast cancer: experience from a large study with long-term follow-up,” Histopathology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 403–410, 1991.
- J. P. A. Baak and J. Oort, A Manual of Morphometry in Diagnostic Pathology, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- A. Buhmeida, J. Al-Maghrabi, A. Merdad et al., “Prognostic value of mitotic counts in breast cancer of Saudi Arabian patients,” Anticancer Research, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 2011.
- T. Kuopio and Y. Collan, “Mitotic count in breast cancer: the influence of training on performance,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 192, no. 11, pp. 1095–1099, 1996.
- T. Kuopio and Y. Collan, “Still more about counting mitoses,” Human Pathology, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1110–1111, 1996.
- Y. U. I. Collan, T. Kuopio, J. P. A. Baak et al., “Standardized mitotic counts in breast cancer evaluation of the method,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 192, no. 9, pp. 931–941, 1996.
- E. Ermiah, A. Buhmeida, F. Abdalla, B. Khaled, S. Pyrhönen, and Y. Collan, “Prognostic value of proliferation markers: immunohistochemical ki-67 expression and cytometric s-phase fraction of women with breast cancer in Libya,” Journal of Cancer, vol. 3, pp. 421–431, 2012.
- G. Karanikas, N. Koronakis, E. E. Lagoudianakis et al., “The value of proliferation indexes in breast cancer,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 2010.
- R. Stuart-Harris, C. Caldas, S. E. Pinder, and P. Pharoah, “Proliferation markers and survival in early breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 85 studies in 32,825 patients,” Breast, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 323–334, 2008.
- E. Ermiah, F. Abdalla, A. Buhmeida, M. Alshrad, S. Pyrhönen, and Y. Collan, “Prognostic significance of DNA image cytometry in Libyan breast cancer,” Oncology, vol. 83, pp. 165–176, 2012.
- F. B. E. Abdalla, J. M. E. Boder, A. Buhmeida, A. I. Elzagheid, and Y. Collan, “Image DNA cytometry in FNABs of Libyan breast disease,” Anticancer Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 175–182, 2010.
- E. Bergers, P. J. van Diest, and J. P. A. Baak, “Tumour heterogeneity of DNA cell cycle variables in breast cancer measured by flow cytometry,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 931–937, 1996.
- J. P. A. Baak, P. J. van Diest, F. J. Voorhorst et al., “The prognostic value of proliferation in lymph-node-negative breast cancer patients is age dependent,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 527–535, 2007.
- P. Jalava, T. Kuopio, L. Juntti-Patinen, T. Kotkansalo, P. Kronqvist, and Y. Collan, “Ki67 immunohistochemistry: a valuable marker in prognostication but with a risk of misclassification: proliferation subgroups formed based on Ki67 immunoreactivity and standardized mitotic index,” Histopathology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 674–682, 2006.
- M. S. Simon and R. K. Severson, “Racial differences in breast cancer survival: the interaction of socioeconomic status and tumor biology,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 176, pp. 233–239, 1997.
- O. F. Ikpatt, Nigerian Breast Cancer: Prognostic Value of Histomorpho-Metry, vol. 487, Annales Universitatis Turkuensis, Turku, Finland, 2002.
- I. J. Hall, B. Newman, R. C. Millikan, and P. G. Moorman, “Body size and breast cancer risk in Black women and White women: the Carolina breast cancer study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 151, no. 8, pp. 754–764, 2000.
- M. A. Jobling, M. Hurles, and C. Tyler-Smith, Human Evolutionary Genetics. Origin, Peoples and Disease, Garland Scince Taylor and Francis group, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- J. M. E. Boder, F. B. E. Abdalla, M. A. Elfageih, A. Abusaa, A. Buhmeida, and Y. Collan, “Breast cancer patients in Libya: comparison with European and central African patients,” Oncology Letters, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 323–330, 2011.
- E. Ermiah, F. Abdalla, A. Buhmeida, E. Larbesh, S. Pyrhönen, and Y. Collan, “Diagnosis delay in Libyan female breast cancer,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 5, article 452, 2012.
- G. J. Laroye and S. Minkin, “The impact of mitotic index on predicting outcome in breast carcinoma: a comparison of different counting methods in patients with different lymph node status,” Modern Pathology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 456–460, 1991.
- P. Kronqvist, T. Kuopio, and Y. Collan, “Quantitative thresholds for mitotic counts in histologic grading: confirmation in nonfrozen samples of invasive ductal breast cancer,” Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 254, pp. 66–70, 2000.
- E. Bergers, I. Jannink, P. I. van Diest et al., “The influence of fixation delay on mitotic activity and flow cytometric cell cycle variables,” Human Pathology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 95–100, 1997.
- L. A. Carey, C. M. Perou, C. A. Livasy et al., “Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina Breast Cancer study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 21, pp. 2492–2502, 2006.
- J. M. Boder, F. B. Abdalla, M. A. Elfageih, and Y. U. Collan, “Estimation of tubular differentiation in female Libyan breast cancer,” Journal of Cancer Therapeutics and Research. In press.
- J. Boder, F. Abdalla, M. Elfageih, A. Buhmeida, and Y. Collan, “Apoptotic activity in Libyan breast cancer,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 1, article 102, 2012.
- F. B. Abdalla, R. Markus, A. Buhmeida, J. Boder, K. Syrjänen, and Y. Collan, “Estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor, and nuclear size features in female breast cancer in Libya: correlation with clinical features and survival,” Anticancer Research, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 3485–3493, 2012.
- P. Jalava, T. Kuopio, R. Huovinen, J. Laine, and Y. Collan, “Immunohistochemical staining of estrogen and progesterone receptors: aspects for evaluating positivity and defining the cutpoints,” Anticancer Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 2535–2542, 2005.
- J. S. Meyer, C. Alvarez, C. Milikowski et al., “Breast carcinoma malignancy grading by Bloom-Richardson system vs. proliferation index: reproducibility of grade and advantages of proliferation index,” Modern Pathology, vol. 18, pp. 1067–1078, 2005.