- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 837620, 9 pages
Treatment of Nonhealing Diabetic Lower Extremity Ulcers with Skin Graft and Autologous Platelet Gel: A Case Series
1Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 11490 Taipei, Taiwan
2Department of Materials Engineering, Tatung University, 10452 Taipei, Taiwan
3Human Protein Process Sciences, 59000 Lille, France & Institute of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Taipei Medical University, 11031 Taipei, Taiwan
Received 20 September 2012; Accepted 24 November 2012
Academic Editor: David G. Armstrong
Copyright © 2013 Yuan-Sheng Tzeng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Willrich, M. Pinzur, M. McNeil, D. Juknelis, and L. Lavery, “Health related quality of life, cognitive function, and depression in diabetic patients with foot ulcer or amputation. A preliminary study,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 128–134, 2005.
- J. Apelqvist, G. Ragnarson-Tennvall, U. Persson, and J. Larsson, “Diabetic foot ulcers in a multidisciplinary setting. An economic analysis of primary healing and healing with amputation,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 235, no. 5, pp. 463–471, 1994.
- M. A. Loot, S. B. Kenter, F. L. Au et al., “Fibroblasts derived from chronic diabetic ulcers differ in their response to stimulation with EGF, IGF-I, bFGF and PDGF-AB compared to controls,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 153–160, 2002.
- D. L. Steed, “Clinical evaluation of recombinant human platelet-derived growth factor for the treatment of lower extremity ulcers,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 117, no. 7, supplement, pp. 143S–149S, 2006.
- D. L. Steed, “Clinical evaluation of recombinant human platelet-derived growth factor for the treatment of lower extremity diabetic ulcers. Diabetic Ulcer Study Group,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 1995.
- G. D. Gentzkow, S. D. Iwasaki, K. S. Hershon et al., “Use of Dermagraft, a cultured human dermis, to treat diabetic foot ulcers,” Diabetes Care, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 350–354, 1996.
- G. Mulder, A. J. Tallis, V. T. Marshall et al., “Treatment of nonhealing diabetic foot ulcers with a platelet-derived growth factor gene-activated matrix (GAM501): results of a Phase 1/2 trial,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 772–779, 2009.
- P. Blume, V. R. Driver, A. J. Tallis et al., “Formulated collagen gel accelerates healing rate immediately after application in patients with diabetic neuropathic foot ulcers,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 302–308, 2011.
- D. J. Margolis, J. Kantor, J. Santanna, B. L. Strom, and J. A. Berlin, “Effectiveness of platelet releasate for the treatment of diabetic neuropathic foot ulcers,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 483–488, 2001.
- D. L. Steed, J. B. Goslen, G. A. Holloway, J. M. Malone, T. J. Bunt, and M. W. Webster, “Randomized prospective double-blind trial in healing chronic diabetic foot ulcers: CT-102 activated platelet supernatant, topical versus placebo,” Diabetes Care, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1598–1604, 1992.
- V. R. Driver, J. Hanft, C. P. Fylling, and J. M. Beriou, “A prospective, randomized, controlled trial of autologous platelet-rich plasma gel for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers,” Ostomy Wound Management, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 68–87, 2006.
- P. Borzini and L. Mazzucco, “Platelet gels and releasates,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 473–479, 2005.
- C. Y. Su, Y. P. Kuo, H. L. Nieh, Y. H. Tseng, and T. Burnouf, “Quantitative assessment of the kinetics of growth factors release from platelet gel,” Transfusion, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2414–2420, 2008.
- A. T. Nurden, P. Nurden, M. Sanchez, I. Andia, and E. Anitua, “Platelets and wound healing,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 3532–3548, 2008.
- M. J. Carter, C. P. Fylling, and L. K. Parnell, “Use of platelet rich plasma gel on wound healing: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Eplasty, vol. 11, article e38, 2011.
- K. M. Lacci and A. Dardik, “Platelet-rich plasma: support for its use in wound healing,” Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- T. Burnouf, M. L. Chou, Y. W. Wu, et al., “Antimicrobial activity of platelet (PLT)-poor plasma, PLT-rich plasma, PLT gel, and solvent/detergent-treated PLT lysate biomaterials against wound bacteria,” Transfusion, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 138–146, 2013.
- T. M. Chen, J. C. Tsai, and T. Burnouf, “A novel technique combining platelet gel, skin graft, and fibrin glue for healing recalcitrant lower extremity ulcers,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 453–460, 2010.
- T. M. Chen, J. C. Tsai, and T. Burnouf, “Cranioplasty using osteoconductive scaffold and platelet glue,” The Journal of Trauma, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1321–1327, 2008.
- F. Crawford, M. Inkster, J. Kleijnen, and T. Fahey, “Predicting foot ulcers in patients with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” QJM, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 65–86, 2007.
- N. Greppi, L. Mazzucco, G. Galetti et al., “Treatment of recalcitrant ulcers with allogeneic platelet gel from pooled platelets in aged hypomobile patients,” Biologicals, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 73–80, 2011.
- G. Crovetti, G. Martinelli, M. Issi et al., “Platelet gel for healing cutaneous chronic wounds,” Transfusion and Apheresis Science, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2004.
- M. J. Martínez-Zapata, A. Martí-Carvajal, I. Solà et al., “Efficacy and safety of the use of autologous plasma rich in platelets for tissue regeneration: a systematic review,” Transfusion, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 44–56, 2009.
- M. Radosevich, H. A. Goubran, and T. Burnouf, “Fibrin sealant: scientific rationale, production methods, properties, and current clinical use,” Vox Sanguinis, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 133–143, 1997.
- E. Anitua, I. Andia, B. Ardanza, P. Nurden, and A. T. Nurden, “Autologous platelets as a source of proteins for healing and tissue regeneration,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 4–15, 2004.
- G. Weibrich, W. K. G. Kleis, G. Hafner, and W. E. Hitzler, “Growth factor levels in platelet-rich plasma and correlations with donor age, sex, and platelet count,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 97–102, 2002.
- K. Okuda, T. Kawase, M. Momose et al., “Platelet-rich plasma contains high levels of platelet-derived growth factor and transforming growth factor-β and modulates the proliferation of periodontally related cells in vitro,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 849–857, 2003.
- G. Weibrich, W. K. G. Kleis, W. E. Hitzler, and G. Hafner, “Comparison of the platelet concentrate collection system with the plasma-rich-in-growth-factors kit to produce platelet-rich plasma: a technical report,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 118–123, 2005.
- T. Burnouf, Y. H. Tseng, Y. P. Kuo, and C. Y. Su, “Solvent/detergent treatment of platelet concentrates enhances the release of growth factors,” Transfusion, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1090–1098, 2008.
- J. P. Allain, C. Bianco, M. A. Blajchman et al., “Protecting the blood supply from emerging pathogens: the role of pathogen inactivation,” Transfusion Medicine Reviews, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 110–126, 2005.
- T. Burnouf and M. Radosevich, “Reducing the risk of infection from plasma products: specific preventative strategies,” Blood Reviews, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 94–110, 2000.
- J. L. Zehnder and L. L. K. Leung, “Development of antibodies to thrombin and factor V with recurrent bleeding in a patient exposed to topical bovine thrombin,” Blood, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 2011–2016, 1990.
- J. Clark, S. Crean, and M. W. Reynolds, “Topical bovine thrombin and adverse events: a review of the literature,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 2071–2087, 2008.
- M. E. Bruce, R. G. Will, J. W. Ironside et al., “Transmissions to mice indicate that “new variant” CJD is caused by the BSE agent,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6650, pp. 498–501, 1997.
- S. M. Mahmoud, A. A. Mohamed, S. E. Mahdi, and M. E. Ahmed, “Split-skin graft in the management of diabetic foot ulcers,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 303–306, 2008.