- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 840121, 11 pages
Differential Expression of Na+/H+-Exchanger (NHE-1, 2, and 4) Proteins and mRNA in Rodent’s Uterus under Sex Steroid Effect and at Different Phases of the Oestrous Cycle
1Department of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 14 November 2012; Accepted 1 January 2013
Academic Editor: Eric W. Lam
Copyright © 2013 Khadijeh Gholami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Kojima, J. Y. Toshima, C. Kanno, C. Kawata, and J. Toshima, “Localization and functional requirement of yeast Na+/H+ exchanger, Nhx1p, in the endocytic and protein recycling pathway,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1823, no. 2, pp. 534–543, 2012.
- P. B. Dunham, S. J. Kelley, and P. J. Logue, “Extracellular Na+ inhibits Na+/H+ exchange: cell shrinkage reduces the inhibition,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. C336–C344, 2004.
- J. Orlowski and S. Grinstein, “Diversity of the mammalian sodium/proton exchanger SLC9 gene family,” Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 447, no. 5, pp. 549–565, 2004.
- J. Praetorius, Y. H. Kim, E. V. Bouzinova et al., “NBCn1 is a basolateral Na+- cotransporter in rat kidney inner medullary collecting ducts,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 286, no. 5, pp. F903–F912, 2004.
- X. F. Wang, M. K. Yu, S. Y. Lam et al., “Expression, immunolocalization, and functional activity of Na+/H+ exchanger isoforms in mouse endometrial epithelium,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 302–308, 2003.
- I. Onishi, Y. Numata, P. Austin, et al., “Organellar (Na+, K+)/H+ exchanger NHE7 regulates cell adhesion, invasion and anchorage-independent growth of breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 311–317, 2012.
- D. W. Good, “Sodium-dependent bicarbonate absorption by cortical thick ascending limb of rat kidney,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 248, no. 6, part 2, pp. F821–F829, 1985.
- G. P. Leung, C. M. Tse, S. B. Chew, and P. Y. Wong, “Expression of multiple Na+/H+ exchanger isoforms in cultured epithelial cells from rat efferent duct and cauda epididymis,” Reprod, vol. 69, pp. 1714–1718, 2001.
- P. Vishwakarmamo, “The pH and bicarbonate-ion content of the oviduct and uterine fluids,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 13, pp. 481–485, 1962.
- D. H. A. Maas, B. T. Storey, and L. Mastroianni Jr., “Hydrogen ion and carbon dioxide content of the oviductal fluid of the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta),” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 981–985, 1977.
- F. K. Marcondes, F. J. Bianchi, and A. P. Tanno, “Determination of the estrous cycle phases of rats: some helpful considerations,” Brazilian Journal of Biology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 609–614, 2002.
- M. Perrot-Applanat, M. Deng, H. Fernandez, C. Lelaidier, G. Meduri, and P. Bouchard, “Immunohistochemical localization of estradiol and progesterone receptors in human uterus throughout pregnancy: expression in endometrial blood vessels,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 216–224, 1994.
- G. Meduri, P. Bausero, and M. Perrot-Applanat, “Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptors in the human endometrium: modulation during the menstrual cycle,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 439–447, 2000.
- K. Gholami, S. Muniandy, and N. Salleh, “Progesterone downregulates oestrogen-induced expression of CFTR and SLC26A6 proteins and mRNA in rats uterus,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 596084, 7 pages, 2012.
- L. N. Chan, L. L. Tsang, D. K. Rowlands et al., “Distribution and regulation of ENaC subunit and CFTR mRNA expression in murine female reproductive tract,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 165–176, 2002.
- Q. He, H. Chen, C. H. Y. Wong, L. L. Tsang, and H. G. Chan, “Regulatory mechanism underlying cyclic changes in mouse uterine bicarbonate secretion: role of estrogen,” Reproduction, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 903–910, 2010.
- Y. Liu, D.-K. Wang, and L. M. Chen, “The physiology of bicarbonate transporters in mammalian reproduction,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 86, no. 4, article 99, 13 pages, 2012.
- C.-X. Zhou, X.-F. Wang, and H.-C. Chan, “Bicarbonate secretion by the female reproductive tract and its impact on sperm fertilizing capacity,” Acta Physiologica Sinica, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 115–124, 2005.
- A. Turi, Z. Marcsek, N. Mullner, M. Kucsera, and Z. Bori, “The activity of Na+/K+-ATPase and abundance of its mRNA are regulated in rat myometrium during pregnancy,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 188, no. 3, pp. 1191–1197, 1992.
- Z. Wang, S. Petrovic, E. Mann, and M. Soleimani, “Identification of an apical Cl-/ exchanger in the small intestine,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 3, pp. G573–G579, 2002.
- C. A. B. Clemetson, U. L. Verma, and S. J. De Carlo, “Secretion and reabsorption of uterine luminal fluid in rats,” Journal of Reproduction and Fertility, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 183–187, 1977.
- M. G. Lee, W. Ahn, J. Y. Choi et al., “Na+-dependent transporters mediate salvage across the luminal membrane of the main pancreatic duct,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 1651–1658, 2000.
- P. S. Aronson, J. Nee, and M. A. Suhm, “Modifier role of internal H+ in activating the Na+-H+ exchanger in renal microvillus membrane vesicles,” Nature, vol. 299, no. 5879, pp. 161–163, 1982.
- J. Orlowski, “Heterologous expression and functional properties of amiloride high affinity (NHE-1) and low affinity (NHE-3) isoforms of the rat Na/H exchanger,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 22, pp. 16369–16377, 1993.
- S. Wakabayashi, T. Hisamitsu, T. Pang, and M. Shigekawa, “Kinetic dissection of two distinct proton binding sites in Na+/H+ exchangers by measurement of reverse mode reaction,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 44, pp. 43580–43585, 2003.
- N. Salleh, D. L. Baines, R. J. Naftalin, and S. R. Milligan, “The hormonal control of uterine luminal fluid secretion and absorption,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 17–28, 2005.
- R. A. Davis, F. Kern, and R. Showalter, “Alterations of hepatic Na+,K+-ATPase and bile flow by estrogen: effects on liver surface membrane lipid structure and function,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 4130–4134, 1978.
- G. Queiroz-Leite, M. C. Peruzzetto, E. A. Neri, and N. A. Rebouças, “Transcriptional regulation of the Na+/H+ exchanger NHE3 by chronic exposure to angiotensin II in renal epithelial cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 409, no. 3, pp. 470–476, 2011.
- E. Roussa, S. L. Alper, and F. Thévenod, “Immunolocalization of anion exchanger AE2, Na+/H+ exchangers NHE1 and NHE4, and vacuolar type H+-ATPase in rat pancreas,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 463–474, 2001.
- J. Malakooti, S. Saksena, R. K. Gill, and P. K. Dudeja, “Transcriptional regulation of the intestinal luminal Na+ and Cl- transporters,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 435, no. 2, pp. 313–325, 2011.
- E. Arena, W. E. Longo, K. E. Roberts, et al., “Functional role of NHE4 as a pH regulator in rat and human colonic crypts,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 302, no. 2, pp. C412–C418, 2012.
- P. Kirchhoff, C. A. Wagner, F. Gaetzschmann, K. Radebold, and J. P. Geibel, “Demonstration of a functional apical sodium hydrogen exchanger in isolated rat gastric glands,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 285, no. 6, pp. G1242–G1248, 2003.
- S. C. Narins, E. H. Park, R. Ramakrishnan et al., “Functional characterization of Na+/H+ exchangers in primary cultures of prairie dog gallbladder,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 123–134, 2004.
- J. Y. Choi, S. Y. Kim, E. J. Son et al., “Dexamethasone increases fluid absorption via Na+/H+ exchanger (NHE) 3 activation in normal human middle ear epithelial cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 536, no. 1-2, pp. 12–18, 2006.
- A. L. H. Hughes, A. Pakhomova, and P. D. Brown, “Regulatory volume increase in epithelial cells isolated from the mouse fourth ventricle choroid plexus involves Na+-H+ exchange but not Na+-K+-2Cl− cotransport,” Brain Research, vol. 1323, pp. 1–10, 2010.
- H. H. Damkier, V. Prasad, C. A. Hübner, and J. Praetorius, “Nhe1 is a luminal Na+/H+ exchanger in mouse choroid plexus and is targeted to the basolateral membrane in Ncbe/Nbcn2-null mice,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 296, no. 6, pp. C1291–C1300, 2009.
- S. Wakabayashi, M. Shigekawa, and J. Pouyssegur, “Molecular physiology of vertebrate Na+/H+ exchangers,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 51–74, 1997.
- J. Noel and J. Pouyssegur, “Hormonal regulation, pharmacology, and membrane sorting of vertebrate Na+/H+ exchanger isoforms,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 268, no. 2, part 1, pp. C283–C296, 1995.
- O. Nilsson, “Ultrastructure of the process of secretion in the rat uterine epithelium at preimplantation,” Journal of Ultrasructure Research, vol. 40, no. 5-6, pp. 572–580, 1972.
- B. O. Nilsson and S. Hjerten, “Electrophoretic quantification of the changes in the average net negative surface charge density of mouse blastocysts implanting in vivo and in vitro,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 485–493, 1982.
- E. J. Jenkinson and R. F. Searle, “Cell surface changes on the mouse blastocyst at implantation,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 386–390, 1977.
- K. Suzuki, I. E. Royaux, L. A. Everett et al., “Expression of PDS/Pds, the Pendred syndrome gene, in endometrium,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 938–941, 2002.