- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 842192, 8 pages
Osteogenic Matrix Cell Sheet Transplantation Enhances Early Tendon Graft to Bone Tunnel Healing in Rabbits
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nara Medical University, Shijocho 840, Kashihara, Nara 634-8522, Japan
2Department of Public Health, Health Management and Policy, Nara Medical University, Shijocho 840, Kashihara, Nara 634-8522, Japan
3Department of Biomedical Engineering, Doshisha University, Tataramiyakodani 1-3, Kyotanabe, Kyoto 610-0394, Japan
4Department of Artificial Joint and Regenerative Medicine for Bone and Cartilage, Nara Medical University, Shijocho 840, Kashihara, Nara 634-8522, Japan
Received 24 April 2013; Revised 3 July 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editor: Chunfeng Zhao
Copyright © 2013 Yusuke Inagaki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Yasuda, E. Kondo, H. Ichiyama et al., “Anatomic reconstruction of the anteromedial and posterolateral bundles of the anterior cruciate ligament using hamstring tendon grafts,” Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1015–1025, 2004.
- G. Kuang, W. P. Yau, W. W. Lu, and K. Y. Chiu, “Osteointegration of soft tissue grafts within the bone tunnels in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction can be enhanced,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1038–1051, 2010.
- S. A. Rodeo, S. P. Arnoczky, P. A. Torzilli, C. Hidaka, and R. F. Warren, “Tendon-healing in a bone tunnel. A biomechanical and histological study in the dog,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 75, no. 12, pp. 1795–1803, 1993.
- K. Yasuda and T. Sasaki, “Exercise after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. The force exerted on the tibia by the separate isometric contractions of the quadriceps or the hamstrings,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 220, pp. 275–283, 1987.
- E. Fujimoto, Y. Sumen, Y. Urabe et al., “An early return to vigorous activity may destabilize anterior cruciate ligaments reconstructed with hamstring grafts,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 298–302, 2004.
- C. H. Chen, W. J. Chen, C. H. Shih, C. Y. Yang, S. J. Liu, and P. Y. Lin, “Enveloping the tendon graft with periosteum to enhance tendon-bone healing in a bone tunnel: a biomechanical and histologic study in rabbits,” Arthroscopy, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 290–296, 2003.
- H. Mutsuzaki, M. Sakane, H. Nakajima et al., “Calcium-phosphate-hybridized tendon directly promotes regeneration of tendon-bone insertion,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 319–327, 2004.
- W. L. Yeh, S. S. Lin, L. J. Yuan, K. F. Lee, M. Y. Lee, and S. W. N. Ueng, “Effects of hyperbaric oxygen treatment on tendon graft and tendon-bone integration in bone tunnel: biochemical and histological analysis in rabbits,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 636–645, 2007.
- Y. Hashimoto, G. Yoshida, H. Toyoda, and K. Takaoka, “Generation of tendon-to-bone interface “enthesis” with use of recombinant BMP-2 in a rabbit model,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1415–1424, 2007.
- S. A. Rodeo, K. Suzuki, X. Deng, J. Wozney, and R. F. Warren, “Use of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 to enhance tendon healing in a bone tunnel,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 476–488, 1999.
- C. H. Chen, H. W. Liu, C. L. Tsai, C. M. Yu, I. H. Lin, and G. H. Hsiue, “Photoencapsulation of bone morphogenetic protein-2 and periosteal progenitor cells improve tendon graft healing in a bone tunnel,” The American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 461–473, 2008.
- J. K. Lim, J. Hui, L. Li, A. Thambyah, J. Goh, and E. H. Lee, “Enhancement of tendon graft osteointegration using mesenchymal stem cells in a rabbit model of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 899–910, 2004.
- I. Elloumi-Hannachi, M. Yamato, and T. Okano, “Cell sheet engineering: a unique nanotechnology for scaffold-free tissue reconstruction with clinical applications in regenerative medicine,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 267, no. 1, pp. 54–70, 2010.
- M. Akahane, A. Nakamura, H. Ohgushi, H. Shigematsu, Y. Dohi, and Y. Takakura, “Osteogenic matrix sheet-cell transplantation using osteoblastic cell sheet resulted in bone formation without scaffold at an ectopic site,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 196–201, 2008.
- M. Akahane, H. Shigematsu, M. Tadokoro et al., “Scaffold-free cell sheet injection results in bone formation,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 404–411, 2010.
- A. Nakamura, M. Akahane, H. Shigematsu et al., “Cell sheet transplantation of cultured mesenchymal stem cells enhances bone formation in a rat nonunion model,” Bone, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 418–424, 2010.
- T. Shimizu, M. Akahane, T. Ueha et al., “Osteogenesis of cryopreserved osteogenic matrix cell sheets,” Cryobiology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 326–332, 2013.
- K. Uematsu, K. Hattori, Y. Ishimoto et al., “Cartilage regeneration using mesenchymal stem cells and a three-dimensional poly-lactic-glycolic acid (PLGA) scaffold,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 20, pp. 4273–4279, 2005.
- M. Ogawa, Y. Tohma, H. Ohgushi, Y. Takakura, and Y. Tanaka, “Early fixation of cobalt-chromium based alloy surgical implants to bone using a tissue-engineering approach,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 5528–5541, 2012.
- H. Ohgushi, Y. Dohi, T. Yoshikawa et al., “Osteogenic differentiation of cultured marrow stromal stem cells on the surface of bioactive glass ceramics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 341–348, 1996.
- M. Akahane, T. Ueha, Y. Dohi et al., “Secretory osteocalcin as a nondestructive osteogenic marker of tissue-engineered bone,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 622–628, 2011.
- X. Ye, X. Yin, D. Yang, J. Tan, and G. Liu, “Ectopic bone regeneration by human bone marrow mononucleated cells, undifferentiated and osteogenically differentiated bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in β-tricalcium phosphate scaffolds,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 545–556, 2012.
- S. X. Qu, X. Guo, J. Weng et al., “Evaluation of the expression of collagen type I in porous calcium phosphate ceramics implanted in an extra-osseous site,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 659–667, 2004.
- A. Hanifi, H. McCarthy, S. Roberts, and N. Pleshko, “Fourier transform infrared imaging and infrared fiber optic probe spectroscopy identify collagen type in connective tissues,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 5, Article ID e64822, 2013.
- L. Erhard, F. M. Schultz, M. E. Zobitz, C. Zhao, P. C. Amadio, and K. N. An, “Reproducible volar partial lacerations in flexor tendons: a new device for biomechanical studies,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 999–1002, 2002.
- T. Kohno, Y. Ishibashi, E. Tsuda, T. Kusumi, M. Tanaka, and S. Toh, “Immunohistochemical demonstration of growth factors at the tendon-bone interface in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using a rabbit model,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2007.