- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 845032, 7 pages
Expression of Melatonin Synthesizing Enzymes in Helicobacter pylori Infected Gastric Mucosa
1Department of Gastroenterology, Medical University of Lodz, 1 Haller’s Square, 90-647 Lodz, Poland
2Department of Molecular Genetics, Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Lodz, Pomorska 141/143, 90-236 Lodz, Poland
3Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229-3900, USA
4Department of Clinical Nutrition, Medical University of Lodz, 1 Haller’s Square, 90-647 Lodz, Poland
Received 15 April 2013; Revised 29 May 2013; Accepted 19 June 2013
Academic Editor: Toshifumi Ohkusa
Copyright © 2013 Cezary Chojnacki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Stehle, A. Saade, O. Rawashdeh et al., “A survey of molecular details in the human pineal gland in the light of phylogeny, structure, function and chronobiological diseases,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 17–43, 2011.
- M. Messner, G. Huether, T. Lorf, G. Ramadori, and H. Schwörer, “Presence of melatonin in the human hepatobiliary-gastrointestinal tract,” Life Sciences, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 543–551, 2001.
- M. T. Itoh, B. Ishizuka, Y. Kuribayashi, A. Amemiya, and Y. Sumi, “Melatonin, its precursors, and synthesizing enzyme activities in the human ovary,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 402–408, 1999.
- H. G. Botros, P. Legrand, C. Pagan, et al., “Crystal structure and functional mapping of human ASMT, the last enzyme of the melatonin synthesis pathway,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 46–51, 2013.
- M. Shimozuma, R. Tokuyama, S. Tatehara et al., “Expression and cellular localizaion of melatonin-synthesizing enzymes in rat and human salivary glands,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 389–396, 2011.
- R. García-Marín, M. de Miguel, J. M. Fernández-Santos, et al., “Melatonin-synthesizing enzymes and melatonin receptor in rat thyroid cells,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1429–1438, 2012.
- C. Ribelayga, P. Pévet, and V. Simonneaux, “Adrenergic and peptidergic regulations of hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase activity in rat pineal gland,” Brain Research, vol. 777, no. 1-2, pp. 247–250, 1997.
- J. D. Johnston, R. Bashforth, A. Diack, H. Andersson, G. A. Lincoln, and D. G. Hazlerigg, “Rhythmic melatonin secretion does not correlate with the expression of arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase, inducible cyclic AMP early repressor, period1 or cryptochrome1 mRNA in the sheep pineal,” Neuroscience, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 789–795, 2004.
- A. Piesiewicz, U. Kedzierska, I. Adamska, et al., “Pineal arylalkylamine N-acetyltransferase (Aanat) gene expression as a target of inflammatory mediators in the chicken,” General and Comparative Endocrinology, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 143–151, 2012.
- Z. S. Ferreira, P. A. C. M. Fernandes, D. Duma, J. Assreuy, M. C. W. Avellar, and R. P. Markus, “Corticosterone modulates noradrenaline-induced melatonin synthesis through inhibition of nuclear factor kappa B,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 182–188, 2005.
- M. El-Salhy, Å. Danielsson, R. Stenling, and L. Grimelius, “Colonic endocrine cells in inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 242, no. 5, pp. 413–419, 1997.
- M. G. Rybakova, A. V. Botina, and O. I. Solovyeva, “Immunomorphological characteristics of the mucosa and endocrine cells of the colon in patients with chronic ulcerative colitis,” Arkhiv Patologii, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 30–33, 2005.
- B. Shen, W. Liu, F. H. Remzi et al., “Enterochromaffin cell hyperplasia in irritable pouch syndrome,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 2293–2300, 2008.
- C. Chojnacki, M. Wisniewska-Jarosinska, G. Kulig, et al., “Evaluation of enterochromaffin cells and melatonin secretion exponents in patients with acute phase of ulcerative colitis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology. In press.
- P. Singh, N. Singh, A. Ahmad, O. Singh, and G. Palit, “Melatonin independent protective role of l-tryptophan in experimental reflux esophagitis in rats,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 249–257, 2011.
- W. M. Al-Ghoul, S. Abu-Shaqra, B. G. Park, and N. Fazal, “Melatonin plays a protective role in postburn rodent gut pathophysiology,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 282–293, 2010.
- G. Kulig, G. Klupińska, C. Jochymski, M. Wiśniewska-Jarosińska, W. Kozłowski, and J. Chojnacki, “Evaluation of the number of enterochromaffin cells in gastric mucosa in subjects with functional dyspepsia,” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski, vol. 26, no. 155, pp. 370–372, 2009.
- P. Malfertheiner, F. Megraud, C. A. O. ’Morian, et al., “Management of Helicobacter pylori infection: the Maastricht IV/Florence Consensus Report,” Gut, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 950–951, 2012.
- G. Klupińska, C. Chojnacki, A. Harasiuk et al., “Nocturnal secretion of melatonin in subjects with asymptomatic and symptomatic Helicobacter pylori infection,” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski, vol. 21, no. 123, pp. 239–242, 2006.
- G. Klupińska, M. Wiśniewska-Jarosińska, A. Harasiuk, et al., “Nocturnal secretion of melatonin in patients with upper digestive tract disorders,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 41–50, 2006.
- E. Gitto, S. Aversa, C. D. Salpietro et al., “Pain in neonatal intensive care: role of melatonin as an analgesic antioxidant,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 291–295, 2012.
- M. Wilhelmsen, I. Amirian, R. J. Reiter, J. Rosenberg, and I. Gögenur, “Analgesic effects of melatonin: a review of current evidence from experimental and clinical studies,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 270–277, 2011.
- K. Kato, I. Murai, S. Asai et al., “Central nervous system action of melatonin on gastric acid and pepsin secretion in pylorus-ligated rats,” NeuroReport, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 2447–2450, 1998.
- S. J. Konturek, P. C. Konturek, T. Brzozowski, and G. A. Bubenik, “Role of melatonin in upper gastrointestinal tract,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 23–52, 2007.
- M. Sjöblom and G. Flemström, “Melatonin in the duodenal lumen is a potent stimulant of mucosal bicarbonate secretion,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 288–293, 2003.
- J. Jaworek, T. Brzozowski, and S. J. Konturek, “Melatonin as an organoprotector in the stomach and the pancreas,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 73–83, 2005.
- R. J. Reiter, D.-X. Tan, J. C. Mayo, R. M. Sainz, J. Leon, and Z. Czarnocki, “Melatonin as an antioxidant: biochemical mechanisms and pathophysiological implications in humans,” Acta Biochimica Polonica, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1129–1146, 2003.
- A. Galano, D. X. Tan, and R. J. Reiter, “Melatonin as a natural ally against oxidative stress: a physicochemical examination,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2011.
- R. J. Reiter, S. D. Paredes, L. C. Manchester, and D.-X. Tan, “Reducing oxidative/nitrosative stress: a newly-discovered genre for melatonin melatonin as an antioxidant,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 175–200, 2009.
- G. Klupińska, T. Popławski, J. Śmigielski, J. Błasiak, and J. Chojnacki, “The effect of melatonin on oxidative DNA damage in gastric mucosa cells of patients with functional dyspepsia,” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski, vol. 26, no. 155, pp. 366–369, 2009.
- P. C. Konturek, S. J. Konturek, T. Brzozowski et al., “Gastroprotective activity of melatonin and its precursor, L-tryptophan, against stress-induced and ischaemia-induced lesions is mediated by scavenge of oxygen radicals,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 433–438, 1997.
- G. Şener-Muratoǧlu, K. Paskaloǧlu, S. Arbak, C. Hürdaǧ, and G. Ayanoǧlu-Dülger, “Protective effect of famotidine, omeprazole, and melatonin against acetylsalicylic acid-induced gastric damage in rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 318–330, 2001.
- J. Cabeza, C. Alarcón-de-la-Lastra, D. Jiménez, M.-J. Martín, and V. Motilva, “Melatonin modulates the effects of gastric injury in rats: role of prostaglandins and nitric oxide,” NeuroSignals, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 71–77, 2003.
- D. Bandyopadhyay and A. Chattopadhyay, “Reactive oxygen species-induced astric ulceration: protection by melatonin,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1187–1202, 2006.
- S. Lahiri, P. Singh, S. Singh, N. Rasheed, G. Palit, and K. K. Pant, “Melatonin protects against experimental reflux esophagitis,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 207–213, 2009.
- F. I. Komarov, S. I. Rappoport, N. K. Malinovskaia, L. A. Voznesenskaia, and L. Vetterberg, “Melatonin: ulcer disease and seasons of the year,” Klinicheskaia Meditsina, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 17–21, 2003.
- N. K. Malinovskaya, F. I. Komarov, S. I. Rapoport, L. A. Voznesenskaya, and L. Wetterberg, “Melatonin production in patients with duodenal ulcer,” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 109–117, 2001.
- S. I. Rapoport, N. T. Raikhlin, N. K. Molinovskaya, and A. A. Lakshin, “Ultrastructural alterations in the cells of antral gastric mucosa in patients with duodenal ulcer on melatonin therapy,” Terapevticheskii Arkhiv, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 10–14, 2003.
- P. C. Konturek, K. Celinski, M. Slomka et al., “Melatonin and its precursor L-tryptophan prevent acute gastric mucosal damage induced by aspirin in humans,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 59, supplement 2, pp. 67–75, 2008.
- K. Celinski, P. C. Konturek, S. J. Konturek et al., “Effects of melatonin and tryptophan on healing of gastric and duodenal ulcers with Helicobacter pylori infection in humans,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 521–526, 2011.
- R. D. S. Pereira, “Regression of gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms using dietary supplementation with melatonin, vitamins and aminoacids: comparison with omeprazole,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 195–200, 2006.
- M. R. Werbach, “Melatonin for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 54–58, 2008.
- T. S. Kandil, A. A. Mousa, A. A. El-Gendy, and A. M. Abbas, “The potential therapeutic effect of melatonin in gastro-esophageal reflux disease,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 10, article 7, 2010.
- F. Farinati, R. Cardin, G. Della Libera, M. Rugge, and F. Di Mario, “Lipid peroxidation and anti-oxidant defence in human gastric mucosa: effect of Helicobacter pylori,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 59–61, 1993.
- A. Ahmed, D. Smoot, G. Littleton et al., “Helicobacter pylori inhibits gastric cell cycle progression,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 1159–1169, 2000.
- B. Obst, S. Wagner, K. F. Sewing, and W. Beil, “Helicobacter pylori causes DNA damage in gastric epithelial cells,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1111–1115, 2000.
- K. Noguchi, K. Kato, T. Moriya et al., “Analysis of cell damage in Helicobacter pylori-associated gastritis,” Pathology International, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 110–118, 2002.
- A. Kokkola, P. Sipponen, H. Rautelin et al., “The effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on the natural course of atrophic gastritis with dysplasia,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 515–520, 2002.
- K. Olszowiec, G. Kulig, G. Klupińska, E. Walecka-Kapica, K. Stec-Michalska, and C. Chojnacki, “Helicobacter pylori: associated gastritis in different forms of functional dyspepsia the infection of Helicobacter pylori in functional dyspepsia,” Medical Science and Technology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 131–135, 2009.
- C. P. Kwan and G. N. J. Tytgat, “Antral G-cell hyperplasia: a vanishing disease?” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1099–1103, 1995.
- Y. Liu, G. D. C. Vosmaer, G. N. J. Tytgat, S.-D. Xiao, and F. J. W. Ten Kate, “Gastrin (G) cells and somatostatin (D) cells in patients with dyspeptic symptoms: Helicobacter pylori associated and non-associated gastritis,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 927–931, 2005.
- E. Walecka-Kapica, G. Klupińska, K. Stec-Michalska, K. Olszowiec, M. Pawłowicz, and C. Chojnacki, “Gastrin secretion in patients with functional dyspepsia,” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski, vol. 26, no. 155, pp. 362–365, 2009.
- W. L. Peterson, “Gastrin and acid in relation to Helicobacter pylori,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 10, supplement 1, pp. 97–102, 1996.
- M. Kidd, I. M. Modlin, and L. H. Tang, “Gastrin and the enterochromaffin-like cell: an acid update,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 209–217, 1998.
- H. Ito, H. Yokozaki, and K. Tokumo, “Serotonin-containing EC cells in normal human gastric mucosa and in gastritis. Immunohistochemical, electron microscopic and autoradiographic studies,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 409, no. 3, pp. 313–323, 1986.
- L. Gavrilita, C. Cotrutz, and C. Dolinescu, “Enterochromaffin cells (EC) of the antropyloric mucosa in gastric and duodenal ulcers,” Morphology Embryology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 327–329, 1980.
- G. A. Bubenik, “The effect of serotonin, N-acetylserotonin, and melatonin on spontaneous contractions of isolated rat intestine,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 41–54, 1986.
- S. Rosenstock, L. Kay, C. Rosenstock, L. P. Andersen, O. Bonnevie, and T. Jørgensen, “Relation between Helicobacter pylori infection and gastrointestinal symptoms and syndromes,” Gut, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 169–176, 1997.
- S. Danese, F. Cremonini, A. Armuzzi et al., “Helicobacter pylori CagA-positive strains affect oxygen free radicals generation by gastric mucosa,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 247–250, 2001.
- J. Stefulj, M. Hörtner, M. Ghosh et al., “Gene expression of the key enzymes of melatonin synthesis in extrapineal tissues of the rat,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 243–247, 2001.
- N. K. Malinovskaia, S. I. Rapoport, N. I. Zhernakova, S. N. Rybnikova, L. I. Postnikova, and I. E. Parkhomenko, “Antihelicobacter effects of melatonin,” Klinicheskaia Meditsina, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 40–43, 2007.
- G. Klupińska, T. Poplawski, J. Drzewoski et al., “Therapeutic effect of melatonin in patients with functional dyspepsia,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 270–274, 2007.
- A. Sommansson, O. Nylander, M. Sjoblom, et al., “Melatonin decreases duodenal epithelial paracellular permeability via a nicotinic receptor-dependent pathway in rats in vivo,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 282–291, 2013.