- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 846186, 4 pages
Listeria monocytogenes Meningitis in Adults: The Czech Republic Experience
1Charles University in Prague, Third Faculty of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases, Na Bulovce Hospital, Budinova 2,
180 81 Prague, Czech Republic
2Charles University in Prague, First Faculty of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases, Na Bulovce Hospital, Budinova 2, 180 81 Prague, Czech Republic
3Charles University in Prague, Second Faculty of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases, Na Bulovce Hospital, Budinova 2, 180 81 Prague, Czech Republic
Received 25 April 2013; Accepted 13 August 2013
Academic Editor: Klaus P. Hunfeld
Copyright © 2013 Olga Dzupova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Amaya-Villar, E. García-Cabrera, E. Sulleiro-Igual et al., “Three-year multicenter surveillance of community-acquired Listeria monocytogenes meningitis in adults,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, article 324, 2010.
- M. C. Brouwer, D. van de Beek, S. G. B. Heckenberg, L. Spanjaard, and J. de Gans, “Community-acquired Listeria monocytogenes meningitis in adults,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1233–1238, 2006.
- O. Dzupova, H. Rozsypal, B. Prochazka, and J. Benes, “Acute bacterial meningitis in adults: predictors of outcome,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 348–354, 2009.
- E. Mylonakis, E. L. Hohmann, and S. B. Calderwood, “Central nervous system infection with Listeria monocytogenes: 33 years' experience at a general hospital and review of 776 episodes from the literature,” Medicine, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 313–336, 1998.
- Y. Siegman-Igra, R. Levin, M. Weinberger et al., “Listeria monocytogenes infection in Israel and review of cases worldwide,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 305–310, 2002.
- D. van de Beek, J. de Gans, L. Spanjaard, M. Weisfelt, J. B. Reitsma, and M. Vermeulen, “Clinical features and prognostic factors in adults with bacterial meningitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 18, pp. 1849–1923, 2004.
- G. M. Teasdale, L. E. L. Pettigrew, J. T. L. Wilson, G. Murray, and B. Jennett, “Analyzing outcome of treatment of severe head injury: a review and update on advancing the use of the Glasgow Outcome Scale,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 587–597, 1998.
- National Institute of Public Health, Czech Republic, “Infectious diseases report database,” http://www.szu.cz/tema/prevence/infekcni-nemoci.
- M. L. Fernández Guerrero, R. Torres, B. Mancebo et al., “Antimicrobial treatment of invasive non-perinatal human listeriosis and the impact of the underlying disease on prognosis,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 690–695, 2012.
- P. Gerner-Smidt, S. Ethelberg, P. Schiellerup et al., “Invasive listeriosis in Denmark 1994–2003: a review of 299 cases with special emphasis on risk factors for mortality,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 618–624, 2005.
- V. Goulet and P. Marchetti, “Listeriosis in 225 non-pregnant patients in 1992: clinical aspects and outcome in relation to predisposing conditions,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 367–374, 1996.
- A. Julián, Á. Jiménez, M. de Górgolas, R. Fernández, and M. L. Fernández, “Infecciones por Listeria monocytogenes en el adulto. Aspectos clínicos y microbiológicos de una enfermedad cambiante,” Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología Clínica, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 297–303, 2001.
- O. Mitjà, C. Pigrau, I. Ruiz et al., “Predictors of mortality and impact of aminoglycosides on outcome in listeriosis in a retrospective cohort study,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 416–423, 2009.
- B. Swaminathan and P. Gerner-Smidt, “The epidemiology of human listeriosis,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1236–1243, 2007.
- O. Dzupova, S. Polivkova, D. Smiskova, and J. Benes, “Epidemiological, clinical and laboratory characteristics of bacterial meningitis in adult patients,” Klinická Mikrobiologie a Infekční Lékařství, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 58–63, 2010.
- D. van de Beek, J. de Gans, A. R. Tunkel, and E. F. M. Wijdicks, “Community-acquired bacterial meningitis in adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 1, pp. 44–53, 2006.
- H. E. Clauss and B. Lorber, “Central nervous system infection with Listeria monocytogenes,” Current Infectious Disease Reports, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 300–306, 2008.
- B. Lorber, “Listeriosis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1997.
- H. Hof, “An update on the medical management of listeriosis,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1727–1735, 2004.
- M. Merle-Melet, L. Dossou-Gbete, P. Maurer et al., “Is amoxicillin-cotrimoxazole the most appropriate antibiotic regimen for Listeria meningoencephalitis? Review of 22 cases and the literature,” Journal of Infection, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 79–85, 1996.